FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

Random...but does anyone have an x100 they would be willing to rent or lend to me for a few weeks in mid March? We are taking a trip to Ireland, and it would be nice to have a simple option that does not require me to take my full kit with me everywhere I go. (I have been seeing all of Doug's posts from Asia about it, and it makes me see how good of an idea it would be). Lensrentals rents them, but it would run me over $150. Anyway...just thought I would toss it out there.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:48 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

That sony full-frame DSC-RX1 seems even more desirable than the fuji x100, but the prices on those cameras are both very high for a fixed focal length system with less than stellar autofocus...though the sony is definitely a bit more insane ($2800). I'm really amazed at how such a niche product has found a market, but the compact body style is admittedly nice. But what about the sony nex series with interchangeable lenses and aps-c sensors? Seems more versatile than the fuji system right now.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 01:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:27 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

The sony does look great, but I cannot drop that much $ on something that would be more for fun than anything. I was tempted to just buy an x100, but with the x100s coming out very soon, it is the wrong time right now to buy a x100

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:29 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

Agreed, IMO the Sony could come down to $1500 and make the full-frame premium much smaller...I wonder what their profit margin is.

I like that those new hybrid-ish cameras are all more compact and unassuming, that would be very handy for being inconspicuous out here in Vegas with all the security restrictions at the resorts. I would probably buy into such a system if it had three interchangeable f/1.4 lenses (35, 50 and 85mm) and a full frame sensor.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

form wrote:
That sony full-frame DSC-RX1 seems even more desirable than the fuji x100, but the prices on those cameras are both very high for a fixed focal length system with less than stellar autofocus...though the sony is definitely a bit more insane ($2800). I'm really amazed at how such a niche product has found a market, but the compact body style is admittedly nice. But what about the sony nex series with interchangeable lenses and aps-c sensors? Seems more versatile than the fuji system right now.

The gain over the new X100S looks tiny for the money. The new Fuji gets on-chip phase detect AF, hybrid VF included all for maybe 1/3rd of the price once you factor in an EVF.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

FF sensor + lens in a 'premium' package for $1500? Sounds like junk to be honest.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:05 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

Right, profit margins...premium packages...I guess I never really fully understood the value of buying a breitling watch when I could get a $30 timex that keeps time just as well, or a $200 watch that can basically do everything the brietling does. I will obviously never, ever own a breitling watch unless someone gifts it to me one day (not likely since nobody in my family circle is rich).

On the other hand, I will readily buy the best violin bow or musical instrument I can afford if I am convinced that it really is the best one in terms of function and it makes a noticeable difference to me...and if the price seems fair and reasonable to me. That's the kicker about a full-frame compact camera with a fixed lens for $2800, it's much more expensive than what I would consider reasonable. I have two different dslr systems that can do just about everything the sony rx1 can do and more, except the package is not nearly as small or quiet. But sony isn't marketing to me anyway.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:18 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

I have one I can sell you for a good price. Brand new, case, and lens hood.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:59 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

How much Doug? Newer serial?

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:33 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

hardlyboring wrote:
I have one I can sell you for a good price. Brand new, case, and lens hood.

don't really want to buy one...yet. I am waiting for the x100s comes out. After that, I will likely get one or the other

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

I just picked up an OMD. Owned an x100 (twice). Dug the files, but the AF is stupid slow. And the OmD is stupid fast. And smaller. And has a great lens lineup.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

jneilosu wrote:
I just picked up an OMD. Owned an x100 (twice). Dug the files, but the AF is stupid slow. And the OmD is stupid fast. And smaller. And has a great lens lineup.

I don't really understand the slow af comments on the X100 with updated firmware, yes like any contrast detect af system it won't track anything but it isn't far off a nikon 35mm f/1.4 or something. The giant size of the af area so it loves to focus on the background I can understand.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:57 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

The OM-D is as fast as my SLR's. It's insane.

The X100 is NOT usable for any kind of AF-C situation.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OT: Looking to rent/borrow an x100

It would be cheaper to buy and then sell after you use it for that length of time than to rent.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.