Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Getting started with external flashes

Jay-Cub Photo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Getting started with external flashes

Hey everyone,

Well i'm completely lost here. I've been shooting for about 3 years now and primarily shoot skateboarding. I've been pushing it off but it's finally time to start learning about flash photography so I've got a few questions I hope you guys can help with. Will buying i-ttl flashes be helpful when shooting off camera or would it not matter since I'll be using transmitters and recievers? Also I know I have to buy a transmitter, (that goes on the hotshoe) but what do I buy for the flashes? I'm sure i'll be able to think of more questions later but this is a good start. Haha thanks everyone for your time.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:17 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #2 · Getting started with external flashes

A great resources for starting with off-camera flash is the strobist website:

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Start with Lighting 101 and go through the first few articles and you should get a very good idea of what equipment to get and how to get started with that equipment

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:27 AM
mike-in-ak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Getting started with external flashes

I use Pocket Wizard FlexTT5 on the camera and flash units. You can also add the MiniTT5 for more granular control. Since I use Nikon, I sometimes add an SU-800 commander on the camera in place of the Mini.

I went with the FlexTT5 as they are both transmitter and receiver so can be used interchangeably. With a cable from the Flex to the camera I can use a separate Flex to fire the camera shutter and trigger the remote flashes.

Radio Popper is another brand to look at as well.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · Getting started with external flashes

+ a million for strobist. David Hobby put together an amazing tutorial, you will learn a TON from it.

Also look at Joe McNally, he is a Nikon guy and a huge proponent of Nikon's CLS. All optical triggering when using Nikon equipment. line of sight only, but ya gotta start somewhere...

Paul

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · Getting started with external flashes

While you are reading, check out Chuck Gardner's web site tutorials.

Tutorials

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password