Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Bacalhau
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

I shoot mostly landscapes, some macro, nightscapes. Ocasionaly street candids, and portraits.
The longest focal I have is 200 @2.8L,- I am not into birding, sports, or anything requiring long focals, as I like to hike and camp dragging along some gear.

So, if you had all three 5D's - 5Dc, mk2 and mk3 and had to sell/drop one out, which two would you keep? or which one you would sell?(works either way)
Thanks

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:49 AM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Let ride with 5Dc/5D2 until canon has better sensor body. You don't miss IQ much between them... unless you need AF for action shot. All 5Dx samples: http://500px.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=5d

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:06 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

5D2 seems like your best value for what you want to shoot.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:26 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.1 #4 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Don't forget the 6D. It has better noise and low ISO DR than the 5D2 / 5D3. Yes, you heard me right - even better than the much more expensive 5D3. Strange but true.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171136

However, it is a marginal improvement, and you should indeed stick to a 5D2 until Canon learns how to properly upgrade their sensor tech.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:48 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

If you currently have all 3, sell the Mark II while you can still get a decent price. Keep the 5D Classic and the Mark III.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:51 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

5d3 for the AF when it really counts. 5dc for the beater expendable outdoors body. Sell the 5d2.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

If you have all three, and want to eliminate one, make it the 5D original. It is the oldest and most prone to breakage (mirror assembly). Plus it has the lowest rez.

Keep the 5D II and III.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #8 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Wobble wrote:
If you currently have all 3, sell the Mark II while you can still get a decent price. Keep the 5D Classic and the Mark III.

The price of 5D2 has been driven down since the release of 6D. It dropped at least $300 since then.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:46 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #9 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

If I had all three here are my thoughts

5dc - not worth much anymore, maybe $500 at best if its in good shape. Does pretty much everything you ask but a little short on the mp if you like to crop, also good for a take anywhere could care if it breaks body.

5dii - still a great camera dispite what some folks think, used prices have taken a Beating since the 6d's release. Ideally you would have sold this when the 6d was announced and the fanboys thought the world was ending. That being said it meets or exceeds your usage requirements.

5diii - maybe the perfect camera (IMHO). Depending how much your bought it for you could take a bath selling it but that seems silly when it's the best all around full frame camera on the market (yes there is the 1dx but most of us don't need 12 fps or super human build quality or the price).

Honestly in this situation you could realistically hold on to all three, the 5dc could be a great gift for a loved one who's interested in photography and that would provide a lot more joy (at least in my eyes) then selling it for not much scratch.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #10 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

The gift idea is a great one. You then get to teach someone, have a shooting buddy/assistant, and learn more in the process.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

eliminate 5D classic due to lack of sensor cleaning.
sensor dust was an annoying feature of the 5D classic

5D II is a bargain price wise and meets your needs

6D is better option because you gain built in GPS for geo-tagging your landscape shots

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:07 PM
soundguy591

p.1 #12 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Get rid of the classic, keep the MK II as your "back up" and enjoy your 5D3! That being said the 5dc is still one of my favorites (it still sits in my bag with my 5d2); however, when the 5d3 jumps into my hands, the 5DC will see the B + S board.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:05 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Bacalhau wrote:
I shoot mostly landscapes, some macro, nightscapes. Ocasionaly street candids, and portraits.
The longest focal I have is 200 @2.8L,- I am not into birding, sports, or anything requiring long focals, as I like to hike and camp dragging along some gear.

So, if you had all three 5D's - 5Dc, mk2 and mk3 and had to sell/drop one out, which two would you keep? or which one you would sell?(works either way)
Thanks

If you shoot stills only it's a really tough choice, but I'd sell the 5Dc even though I luv those huge pixels and the images it creates. So why dump it...well I wouldn't...but if I had to,
- Sensor wise the 5D3/5D2 are near the same and would acct as backup for each other
- Both have live view, it's great for checking image corners with the magnifier.
- Both will make larger prints at higher ISOs, and will let you crop tighter if needed; more pixels per duck
- Both have sensor cleaning
- You'll take less of a loss with the 5Dc

If yes to all three it's a no brainier, sell the 5Dc, Why...
- The 5D3 gives you significantly more control of audio and AF
- The 5D3 has IQ like the 5D2, has slightly better high ISO capability with less noise
- The 5D2 is the better backup given the 5Dc doesn't have video.
- Both have LiveView, better LCDs and sensor dust cleaning.

But, if the features of the 5D3 don't rock your world...
- sell it quickly
- take $100 from the sale and join CPS
- put the remaining proceeds in saving
- add to those saving when you can
- wait for the much anticipated/waited for high MP body
- enjoy the fact that you have two wonderful FF bodies
- use the remaining proceeds for emergency if one should arise

I've more ideas/options, sell 5Dc/5D2 and buy a 6D; and have the latest FF non-pro bodies in hand. I'd also suggest looking at 1D bodies if you need the ruggedness of the pro bodies, and variations of all the above.

But, my hands are cramping from typing and my brain is on overload, I've only crop bodies and would kill for any of your three FF shooters

Good luck with you decision!
Jerry

PS. A firmware update for the 5D3 will arrive soon, it fixes a few things, native AF f5.6 to f8 and if you are shooting movies it will have full uncompressed HDMI out

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.1 #14 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Good morning, and thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.
Yes, in truth I am looking for a justification to get or not the 5D3, and a bit surprised(not shocked) seeing most people going in favor of the 5D2.
Overall selling or giving away the 5Dc to make room for the 6D is what makes more sense, but I will have to rent/lend it to get a good feeeling about it.
I keep saying myself to get another lens instead, rather than another body (40D-ir converted and Elan IIe still around the house).
Thanks once again

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

If I had a 5dII I would not buy a 5d3. I have a 1ds3 and got the 5d3 only because of the better LCD and live view. Not just a little better, but monumentally better. But the 5d2 was also better and probably good enough. I never had a 5d2, but did have a 5d. Not nearly enough pixles in my opinion, even 21/22 is not enough.

Iso at 1600 is not much different between 1ds3 and 5d3 so I assume not much between 5d2 and 5d3. Iso above 1600 on the 5D3 does not seem usable to me. So iso does not matter.

Af for landscape work is ok especially when live view works, it did not for 1ds3, probably did for 5d2 and certainly does for 5d3.

If were still doing BIF with a long lens, and needed f8 af, my 1DS3 would still be king, or the 5d3 with the rumored firmware update. The 5d never cut it for BIF.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:28 PM
thedutt
• • •
p.1 #16 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

If cost is non issue, keep II & III, if for no other reason, they share battery system, keeps life simple. (Video + micro adjustments + similar sized files would be other reasons )

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

ben egbert: Iso above 1600 on the 5D3 does not seem usable to me.

I'm assuming this was not a typo, you did mean 5D3.

Here's an accidental shot at ISO 10,000 on 5D3. I had it on manual auto iso, and rushed the shot, didn't realize the iso went so high. Zero noise reduction, no special processing at all. Just a quick grab shot of this willing subject, whom I did not know at all.

full image

100% crop, no noise reduction

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Yep. I meant 5d3. I shoot landscapes by moonlight. Noise in the sky competes with stars. It also reduces detail in low contrast foreground.

I want to print 16x24, and don't want any noise. Other usage has more tolerance for noise.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

Sounds like you should be shooting a D800e.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Need Help deciding between 5D's

6D. Cheapest and best value (new). Imo the better choice if you hike and camp.
But the point is if you get along with center point and recompose. If not, and you can afford it get a 5D III.
If you are not fixed to Canon and you do not need standard resolution, get a D700.

Ralph

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password