Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

Okay. I tried to search for Aputure but could not find anything on this forum section so here is my question. I'm experimenting with off-camera flash and got Aputure Triggmaster II http://www.aputure.com/en/product/trigmaster_versatile_trigger_for_strobe_speedlight_camera.php
to start with, I can do trigger remote flash 580Exii from my 5Dmkii but it will not allow me to control OCF i.e. when I go into Camera Menu of 5Dmkii --> External Speedlite Control --> Flash Function Setting section it gives me message "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off". I can take a picture and my remote flash will trigger but it looks like I cannot control my remote flash power from here.
I could do same from my 60D as it has pop-up flash but I cannot do from 5Dmkii, is there anything I need to do here to control OCF or it is not possible using Aputure ? I looked up on Aputure's website but could not find much help in their user manual.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:24 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

mjoshi wrote:
...is there anything I need to do here to control OCF or it is not possible using Aputure?

Not possible. To remotely control off-camera Speedlites you need something like a Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 or a Phottix Odin. Simpler/cheaper radios are almost always sync only.

The newest option is Canon's own RT system, but that requires (at the moment) new Speedlites: the 600EX-RT.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:52 AM
mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

Thank you, I was suspecting something in that line with this cheaper triggers.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:27 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

Yeah, the Aputure ads are somewhat misleading in that they talk about "control" of remote flashes, but to me "control" means doing more than just "triggering."

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:23 AM
dmward
• • •
p.1 #5 · Aputure Trigmaster II with Canon 580EX ii speedlite ?

If you want to remotely control a speedlite via the camera external flash menu you will have to invest in one of the ETTL capable trigger systems; Yongnuo YN-622, Pixel Knight, Phottix, Pocket Wizard ControlTL, Radio Poppers, etc.

They vary in price and capabilities. Or as mentioned use the Canon RT capabilities in the 600EX-RT. The full advantage of the RT requires 2012 camera. If you just want radio to replace the optical triggering then pre-2012 cameras also will work.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password