Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

This is out of hand... Form get off FM, and invest the time you waste here perfecting your craft. Bokeh schmokeh...take some GD photos!

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I have a question. when you shoot do you use a color reference card at the beginning of every different light change?

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:05 AM
form
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

sjms wrote:
I have a question. when you shoot do you use a color reference card at the beginning of every different light change?

No, I don't have the time or interest. I shoot RAW with one of the presets and do color adjustment later, but I make it easier on myself by using CTO gels on flash when indoors in incandescent light and I already know the colors for sunlight, flourescent, etc. It's also easier to do color adjustment in post when they are all at the same WB preset instead of auto.

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 09:32 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:20 AM
form
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

D. Diggler wrote:
Can you follow up on this "skin like clay" bit? I think I may have seen what you're talking about here but want to be sure. Is the skin in reference like a very light gray tone? A slightly unnatural absence of color, as if it's de-saturated?

The description I could offer is that the skin looks a little more towards green or orange tint...and a bit less rosy...and a bit flatter in color. I think the red/pink in skin is stronger/healthier looking in Canon. I found a user post on http://www.robvanpetten.com/nikon-d800/ that suggests skin looks more orange, and I suppose that could be it. I tended to think green with weaker orange/red/pink, but I'm probably not quite correct. Another dpr post says yellow cast. Many people seem to agree (probably mostly Canon users) that caucasian skin is harder to get right with Nikon files...

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
No, I don't have the time or interest. I shoot RAW with one of the presets and do color adjustment later, but I make it easier on myself by using CTO gels on flash when indoors in incandescent light and I already know the colors for sunlight, flourescent, etc. It's also easier to do color adjustment in post when they are all at the same WB preset instead of auto.

then you create your own issue. you are your own issue. you know it all. I wish I was as good as you. or maybe you might want to reevaluate your perceived proficiency.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
The description I could offer is that the skin looks a little more towards green or orange tint...and a bit less rosy...and a bit flatter in color. I think the red/pink in skin is stronger/healthier looking in Canon. I found a user post on http://www.robvanpetten.com/nikon-d800/ that suggests skin looks more orange, and I suppose that could be it. I tended to think green with weaker orange/red/pink, but I'm probably not quite correct. Another dpr post says yellow cast. Many people seem to agree (probably mostly Canon users) that caucasian skin is harder to get right with Nikon files...

+1 on this the canon skin tones are much nicer and easier to fix then the D80". This is especially true indoors with mixed lighting or outdoors at sunset. I also think the high dynamic range of the d800 and the tone curveake images flatter than Canon. This is just my opinion based in shooting both dams side by side.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:28 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

RJKphoto wrote:
This is out of hand... Form get off FM, and invest the time you waste here perfecting your craft. Bokeh schmokeh...take some GD photos!

l kind of agree. FORM = Way too anal.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:17 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

"Tried to catch the Nikon bug..."

Sorry there are so many Nikon bugs it would be a hard pressed to not be able to catch one.

There's the Greasy Shutter D600 bug. A very common species. Just go F8-11 point at something bright.

There's also the Left Eye Blind D800 bug. This one is not as common. But is prevalent. Like the CIA's admission to Area 51, Nikon doesn't believe it exists.

There's also the Green Tint bug. Similar sightings as the Left Eye Blind D800 bugs.

What caused you to change your title?

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:33 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

How is this thread even still going?

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:47 PM
afm901
• •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
I found a user post on http://www.robvanpetten.com/nikon-d800/ that suggests skin looks more orange, and I suppose that could be it. I tended to think green with weaker orange/red/pink, but I'm probably not quite correct. Another dpr post says yellow cast. Many people seem to agree (probably mostly Canon users) that caucasian skin is harder to get right with Nikon files...

Here is what the author wrote back to that orange comment:

Rob Van Petten says:
February 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

Gabriel Hadarean – If your skin tone is orange, maybe you need to adjust your picture control settings, white balance or fine tune your LCD. Skin tone results are as varied as the styles of the photographers who use them.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:10 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

BenV wrote:
How is this thread even still going?

Maybe posts like ours!!!

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:04 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Nikon is not for everyone. At least the OP gave it a shot.

For me, I shot Canon for 10 years before making the switch in 2011. Haven't looked back since then.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Personally, I don't see how using Canon or Nikon will affect the end process if you know what you are doing - serious.

Here is a shot with a Nikon F5 (film for those that don't know ), 1Ds (12 year old digital full frame) and a D700. All with the same lens - edit.. the last image was taken with the Samyang 14mm.. but all manual focus.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vDWqColg6ws/UKGYHa_-x3I/AAAAAAAAHQ4/Eb7MmR74pGo/s900/Lewis-F5.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cg0XXtb-DPg/T91QpyNcvwI/AAAAAAAAG0I/WtwlmZFbblU/s879/For-Now.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_OqiUMCIUNY/URaVz4YzQtI/AAAAAAAAHlo/ZGbQsGmydSs/s800/Beach.jpg

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:16 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Dustin, you beat me to it Any system whether it be Canon, Nikon or whatever should provide you with sufficient resources to get the job done. That's why there are great successful photographers at both ends. At the same time, no camera or lens is perfect and people learn to live with or overcome their issues. If the OP asked about a specific problem, like all of us do, then I am sure everyone would charm to help. The main point of his thread is whine without any objectivity and without any capacity to accept advice. Folks here gave you excellent advice and you just go on trashing them.

"I posted a bokeh comparison at identical apertures (f/1.8) and most people preferred the NIKON bokeh" I think this says it all...

I have a question for you, have you ever browsed the D800/5D3 image threads? Or the Sgima 35 1.4 image thread? Or even the RX100 image thread? It should show you that in the hands of a capable photographer any system can work to its full potential and gives you brilliant results. I am still not able to produce images such as Dustin's but I never whine that it's my D600 or my lenses, I know it's just me.

Good luck anyhow

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

A a true photographer is limited by his/her own ability, not by the camera/lens. I hope I provided some evidence of this

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:43 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

The D800 was never the magic bullet that most thought it would be. That probably explains why there are a bunch of D800's for sale in the buy and sell forum.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:55 PM
form
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

M Lucca wrote:
"Tried to catch the Nikon bug..."

What caused you to change your title?

Too many people accusing me of having a big ego, I suspected the title just made that worse.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:23 AM
form
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Dustin Gent wrote:
Personally, I don't see how using Canon or Nikon will affect the end process if you know what you are doing - serious.

The colors are definitely NOT my main gripe. If I was a landscape photographer, autofocus really wouldn't matter so much to me. I've seen great landscape photos taken with rebel cameras too, so I have never really believed that nice photos couldn't be taken with basic equipment...but good photos are much more difficult to consistently take in very challenging situations like fast movement, dim light where autofocus needs to nail things, etc...with Rebels and cameras with less effective autofocus, noise control, etc. systems.

I shoot weddings and so I need more reliable focus systems. That's where one of my main gripes comes in.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:26 AM
pdxflint
• •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I've seen excellent wedding work done with both Nikon and Canon gear... so, just pick the stuff that works for you and go for it. I'm sure your clients won't really care one way or the other if the work is good.

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:30 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
Upon receipt of your identical PM (very kind of you btw), I immediately googled your curious phrase and found a site ( http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/onedtent
) informing me that what you said is geekspeak for "idiot." After learning that, it was a very short hop to the realization that you were basically calling me an idiot through a kind of geeksubterfuge. Good job, and thanks for spelling it out for me!

I thought it would be nicer than just calling you a "hack"

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:45 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.