Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

You have a great sensor (D800) with lots of nice features (active point spot metering, very fast shutter lag, fun exposure blending in-camera feature, dk-17m eyepiece magnifier, exposure compensation with a very usable autoISO, one-button review zooming to the focused area, etc.)...but your lenses. Your lenses are just pfft.

First off, the 85 f/1.8g's background blur is just horrid...because it's perfect, it's uninteresting, it's blah. It doesn't produce that fisheye-oof-distorting background appearance that makes the whole image look 3d. Instead, it produces nearly perfect circles and the ones near the edges are so tiny that they are barely bokeh anymore. However, this is TOTALLY 100% subjective...I admittedly like my Canon 85L's background blur much better and it is much more flawed. I posted a bokeh comparison at identical apertures (f/1.8) and most people preferred the NIKON bokeh...but yet I still prefer the Canon bokeh. My tastes must be tainted. Plus when wide open it has very strong LoCAs that lead to a nasty fringe when the subject is just barely misfocused (as often happens with subjects about 15 feet away)...and that huge LoCA purple fringe is so big that lightroom can't remove it.

Then comes the 35 f/1.4g, my second (and final) Nikon lens. You just...don't focus fast enough. No, you miss more shots by not being fast enough to achieve focus. It's like, almost as slow as the Canon 85L. Bokeh is nice - pretty 3d looking if also a bit excessively perfect...but not fast enough focus. I need 35L-fast focusing, even with the added Canon hesitation-before-focusing in dim light, the lens focuses faster than the Nikon version. And in good light, the Canon 35L might as well be focusing instantantaneously...and so I'm spoiled.

And I notice that both lenses have two other very unpleasant traits: They both backfocus on backlit subjects (extremely consistent behavior) because the af system seems to lock on the brightest edge rather than the one within the focus point (af-c and af-s, 1 point focus and 9-point focus both have similar issues)...and they both misfocus on subjects that are close to the hyperfocal distance or at about 10-15 feet away.

The camera also has a few flaws, but most of them are related to the very sluggish and poor implementation of live view and taking photos in live view. Although, the camera locks focus quicker in live view than my 5d2s...but the sluggish framerate with live view magnification, the movement of the cursor, and the delays for taking photos are all very subpar. The other thing I don't like about the camera is that it takes TWO hands to change iso, white balance, and a few other settings...that only take ONE hand with my 5d2s. Then, the colors...I don't really love Nikon colors, something about the skin tones looks off to me...a little more like clay.

The lens upgrade path also needs considering. I have heard great things about Nikon's 14-24 and 24, and I have personally experienced very crappy things about Canon's 16-35 (the resolution plain sucks). However, Nikon doesn't really HAVE excellent 50 or 135mm...and Canon does. And you know, there's something else that Nikon does that I don't like...their lens bodies feel plasticky...not very encouraging to me. Originally I thought the circling arrows around the "10" on Nikon lenses meant it has a presumed MTBF of 10 years, but it was pointed out by someone else that it means the environmentally hazardous substances inside are not expected to seep through for at least 10 years...And, I also noticed that just about every Nikon 85mm-135mm prime lens seems to have the most incredible purple fringe bloom that seems to detract from image quality even when they may be as sharp or sharper than their Canon counterparts...

So...I tried a D800. I tried my most-used focal lengths (35, 85) for 6 months. And I acknowledged the superior sensor design in the D800 and the several advantages in features. But, when I ask myself if I could leave the Canon advantages of near-instant 35L autofocus, much more usable live view, more flexible tilt-shift lenses, very nice 50 and 135mm lenses, very imperfect (and therefore personality-filled) bokeh...I find that I could never completely abandon Canon unless Nikon had comparable lenses, especially the lenses I use most often (35, 85).

So...sorry Nikon, you didn't win me...I wanted you to win me, I had very high hopes for your sensor and autofocus (the two most critical reasons for my Nikon trial at the time), but your lenses and several autofocus quirks did me in...

**Edit** another point that has dissuaded me from keeping the Nikon is the stark contrast of reports in factory service quality. I have had many, many positive experiences sending things in to Canon, and I have heard mostly positive about Canon service...but Nikon, on the other hand, has a reputation for being spotty in the service department. This worries and unsettles me...to the point where I feel like I should get rid of the camera before something goes wrong and I have to send it in.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 07:14 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:34 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Hope you enjoy your Canon.

You're completely misinformed about the "10" stamp, though, and it's patently absurd to say that's something you don't like about them

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21761

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

That is too bad. At the end of the day, cameras/lenses are just a tool. Many, many people are able to use Nikon w/o compromising the final product.

Ironic that the reason I switched from Canon to Nikon after many years is because the 5D2 is not up to build quality that I need, whereas the D700 is ..

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:55 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

binary visions wrote:
Hope you enjoy your Canon.

You're completely misinformed about the "10" stamp, though, and it's patently absurd to say that's something you don't like about them

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21761

Thank you, I learned something: The people who said it meant to be recycled in 10 years did not know any more than I did when I heard them say it.

On further review, the 10 seems to also represent how long it is expected that the product will not release the restricted substances into the environment...aka environmentally friendly use period (EFUP). Details on this include..."The EFUP is the number of years from the date of manufacture that toxic or hazardous substances or elements contained in EIPs will not leak or mutate under normal operating conditions resulting in any environmental pollution, bodily injury, or damage to assets." Obtained from http://www.ni.com/environment/rohs_china.htm

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Oh boy.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:18 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Well, it's always a journey to find what moves you. Good luck in your travels...

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

For as anal as you seem to be about the gear you bought I would have thought you would have rented some of this first before you decide to leave Canon.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:37 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

SSISteve wrote:
I would have thought you would have rented some of this first

I had suggested to him that he rent first but he said renting is money down the drain with nothing to show for it.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:44 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Congratulations Canon. Honestly, I didn't know they were fighting over you. Not sure they knew it either.

Form, you might be just a little full of yourself. But, glad you have found your favorite system.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Form,

No doubt about it, Canon makes some really great stuff. I shot Canon for 10 years and was very happy most of the time. I now shoot Nikon and I am equally as happy.

My one nit is your comparing the 85L with Nikon's 85 f/1.8. The 85 f/1.4 might be a better lens to compare the 85L with. I will admit the 85L is the one lens I miss most. And have you tried the new Sigma 35mm? I hear great things about it.

Have fun with Canon.

Grant

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 11:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:34 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Geez man. I've seen your laments and posts even over at the wedding forum. You complained about Canon then and went all Nikon. You should've listened to the wedding shooters there and save yourself this expensive school fees and annoyance. Ugh now you're back in Canon?!

Please go try out a Sony or Pentax.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Yawn.

10char

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Sheldons brother

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:44 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Bah...

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:00 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

D. Diggler wrote:
I had suggested to him that he rent first but he said renting is money down the drain with nothing to show for it.

I guess he will stay with Canon until some little quirk about their camera upsets him and then it's time to make another switch. If someone has found the absolutely perfect system please let me know.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Tete
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Im still trying to find a proper backpack. I came back to nikon after trying the 5DmkII and realized how its more of a fan boy culture than proper gear. The AF system in the 5dmkII was a joke at the highest level. Alot of money on the red ring and a 5D and I headed right back to Nikon. no gimmicks. No red ring. no white lenses.

-------------------------------------------------------

The 5dmkIII confirmed everything to me about canon and how they go about producing a product. Im sure its a great product and every bit the camera the 5d2 was meant to be.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 12:41 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:39 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Have you tried Sony? You weren't happy with Canon, either, so why go back to something you didn't like?

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:40 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

D. Diggler wrote:

How much would it have cost me to rent all the pieces every time I needed them? Camera, two lenses...at least $280 each rental (priced on lensrentals), and I probably used them all for at least 6 shoots. Total = $1480+...Plus, in the end, I wouldn't have a choice, I would still have to give them back...in this situation, I have a choice to keep or sell, I have had them for a LOT more time, and I am paying less in the end.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:07 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

runamuck wrote:
Have you tried Sony? You weren't happy with Canon, either, so why go back to something you didn't like?

Sony doesn't have a big enough selection and their sensors are also IMO unacceptable (in other ways r/t noise handling). I am dissatisfied with Canon's autofocus performance overall, BUT I am more satisfied with their one-shot center point accuracy than with Nikon's with backlit subjects. I am also not very satisfied with Canon sensors, but I am very satisfied with their customer service, I am more satisfied with their live view than with Nikon's, I am more satisfied with their ergonomics than with Nikon's (ability to change ISO, white balance, etc., with one hand instead of needing two, plus I like that silly wheel on the back of Canon cameras), and I am definitely more satisfied with both the aesthetics and function of the Canon prime lenses from 35mm through 135mm (although my personal experience with 24, 50 and 135 are only on the Canon side, these are also focal lengths I don't use often).

I am still disgusted and appalled at how comparatively little camera Canon gives for the cost of $3300 as compared to what Nikon gives for $2800...because the Nikon gives much better dynamic range up to ISO1600, more resolution and detail retention, a generally more complete useful feature set including active-point spot metering and exposure compensation with Auto ISO, and a nice eyepiece magnifier...while the 5d3's only real advantages are 2 fps faster max burst (full frame) and some cross-type outer focus points.

Basically, the 5d3 is 2/3 stop better noise control than the 5d2 and has more focus points...and the price is literally more than doubled just for those two features (while taking away changeable focus screens and making the focus points not light up right)...and this move in itself really encouraged me to try Nikon. If Canon had set the price for this camera at $2700 OR gave great dynamic range with no pattern noise, then I would say the camera is a great value...

but I digress.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:35 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

M Lucca wrote:
Geez man. I've seen your laments and posts even over at the wedding forum. You complained about Canon then and went all Nikon. You should've listened to the wedding shooters there and save yourself this expensive school fees and annoyance. Ugh now you're back in Canon?!

Please go try out a Sony or Pentax.

I never left Canon, I just tried the other side by testing the lenses I would personally use the most on one of the best Nikon cameras out there that I could afford. I don't see anything wrong or stupid about that decision, it was just fairly expensive.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.