Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · noise on 5dii and DPP

bambi73

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · noise on 5dii and DPP

hello

what are your default noise reduction for low iso (100-400)?

and another question -
if i take 2 photos, one at home and one outside - will i get the same amount of noise ?
(all the other parameters are the same)
thanks

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:10 PM
pedwatt

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · noise on 5dii and DPP

The amount of noise ise determine by your iso and the amount of light that hits the sensor, If you shoot with enough light 3200, but with not enough light at 1600, the noise on 1600 picture will be more apparent

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:02 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · noise on 5dii and DPP

Your camera noise reduction amount is determined by the setting in your camera menu.

High ISO speed noise reduction (low, high, disable)

Note that Long Exposure Noise Reduction takes a 2nd image with the shutter closed. It then removes any noisy pixels from the original exposure (dark frame subtraction). This noise reduction is applied to the RAW file and not used by DPP.

You set DPP noise reduction defaults in preferences (mac), or options (PC)

"Apply Camera settings" gives you what the camera used. What you chose in the camera menu.
"Set as Defaults" allows you to put in a default to be used by DPP (not camera setting)

If you set DPP for "Apply Camera settings" in preferences it will show you what the camera is using for the values of the slider.

Expose keeping the histogram to the right. That helps keep noise at a lower level.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · noise on 5dii and DPP

Unless DPP has improved greatly over the past year or so you can count on any NR doing bad things to fine image detail. Use as little NR as you can get away with. That's good advice with any software but especially so with DPP.

If you shoot raw files then in-camera NR settings will be largely irrelevant except for the long exposure NR. That one affects the raw data as well as the jpg preview. The others just affect the jpg preview.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:59 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · noise on 5dii and DPP

bambi73 wrote:
what are your default noise reduction for low iso (100-400)?

As another responder pointed out, unless NR in DPP has improved greatly in recent versions, there are better places to reduce noise - Lightroom for example.

bambi73 wrote:
and another question -
if i take 2 photos, one at home and one outside - will i get the same amount of noise ?
(all the other parameters are the same)
thanks

It depends on what 'other parameters are the same', and it seems unlikely that you would be using the same settings indoors and out. Apart for the obvious ISO setting, lots of things can make a difference, inclcuding color temperature, sensor temperature, ambient temperature, and exposure duration.

Boosting blues, to compensate for warm tungsten lighting, can increase noise. The hotter the sensor gets, the more noise it produces; and that could be due to shooting outside on a hot day, heat produced by the sensor from taking many shots in succession, longer duration shots, or using live view.

Brian A

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:26 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · noise on 5dii and DPP

with my testing of DPP vs Photoshop CS6 ....
-- RAW conversions from DPP are much cleaner than ACR from CS6 (CS6 has pattern noise in sky, de-mosaic noise)
-- DPP nosie reduction is improved and I do not see the negative effects. All noise reduction for any RAW convertwer should be used sparingly.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:32 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password