Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

jamgolf
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

I own a Zeiss 100mm MP. I bought it for its stellar image quality and also because I had never really owned a macro lens before and thought I would enjoy that. In a couple of months of ownership, I feel I have not used it as much as I would have liked. I am considering selling it and getting a Summilux 80mm.

Both of these are regarded very highly and are not that far apart with respect to focal length. Summilux is f1.4 and MP is f2. I will lose the macro capability but will I gain something with the Summilux over MP? Is Summilux smaller or lighter than the MP? Is there something else about the Summilux that is worth having?

Other lenses I own:
Zeiss zf.2 21mm: My favorite lens
Summicron-r 50mm: I like it a lot and love how it renders close range portraits
Elmarit-r 28mm v2: Just got it - have not used it but expect it to be stellar

I thought I'd ask those who have owned one or both of these and how they felt about each.
So should I get a Summilux 80?

Thanks for your time!

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:46 PM
JimUe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

sorry, i hate it myself when i ask questions to only those who have had personal experience and get other's uninformed opinions (i've used the 80 and have the 50mp so sorta), but i think it's worth asking... would you really use the 80 if you don't really use the 100?

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:01 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I think I would use the 80mm for candid and for some landscape work. I would even use the 100mm MP just not as much for macro as I originally thought. I also think that the size/weight of a lens (or any other photographic equipment e.g. a tripod, or a bag) sometimes dictates how frequently it gets used (for me at least).

A smaller 80/90/100 lens would probably get a lot more use from me. Thats why the 50mm cron and 28mm elmarit fit me well. If Summilux 80mm is smaller lighter than 100mm MP that would certainly be a factor.

Mainly I just want to pick the brains of other who may have made a similar decision or might have contemplated such a choice.

Cheers!

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

jamgolf wrote:
A smaller 80/90/100 lens would probably get a lot more use from me.

How about a smallish 85/1.8 instead then? There are lots of options and they are usually quite cheap. I really like the Nikkor-H 85/1.8 that cost me close to nothing and it works like a charm with a good closeup lens.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:44 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Have you considered the Summicron-R 90/2 (older, pre-AA version)? If you like the rendering from the 'cron-R 50, this is a reasonably fast and compact lens that would be a good "match" for the style. It's an older design, so it won't have the biting sharpness and clinical perfection of more recent lenses like the 100 MP, but it's still perfectly reasonable quality.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:53 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

I am not considering Nikkors currently. Although I have owned a Nikkor 105/f2.5 AIS in the past and its a pretty good lens. I owned 3 AIS Nikkors and the only Nikkor I miss is the 50mm f1.2 AIS.

The clarity and other optical characteristics of Zeiss and Leica which I currently own have really revealed to me that there is a quality level beyond the usual. At this time I am really going to stick to these two brands.

But along your line of thinking a smaller 90mm Leica (Summicron or Elmarit) might be worth considering.

Cheers!

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:54 PM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Well, here comes a uninformed answer, since I did not have any of these two lenses, but I understand that the L80 is a classical portrait lens, whereas the MP100 a macro lens is. So it really depends on what you want to shoot and what FL you prefer. Maybe the 80-100 FL is not really for you ( I for myself can not really get anything out of the "normal" 50mm ).

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:58 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

slungu:

I think you have a point. Some focal lengths just don't fit your eye. I usually find myself on the wide side.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:03 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Not sure if your OK with f/2.8, but I love my Zeiss C/Y 85 2.8. Really nice compact lens - and works great for close ups with ext tubes......

f/2.8 with ext tubes on Canon 6d....

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

slungu wrote:
... but I understand that the L80 is a classical portrait lens, ...

I don't think I agree with this comment although the R80 is great in this application. It is sharpest at infinity and less sharp at close/portrait distances so one could argue that that works for it as a 'portrait' lens but this less-than-optimum-sharpness is not great for any other close range application. Don't get me wrong, it's not 'un-sharp' at close range, it's just not as sharp as it is at infinity and itís something youíd really only see wide open.

At F1.4:

Probably at F2, maybe wide open:

The R 80 also has focus shift (as do many similar fast lenses) so this can be an issue at close range (not infinity) when focusing wide open and then stopping down. The solution is to shoot wide open (I'm OK with that) or to focus at the working aperture (Iím OK with that too). Note that even if you stop the lens down 2 stop it's still F2.8.

It is a relatively heavy lens. Itís made from brass/aluminium (aluminum for the Yanks) and I suspect some of the chunks of glass inside it are not very light either. It feels like a chunk of steel.

Re close up work. The R 80 is not designed for it but it manages OK when pushed into a corner.

100% crop from the large file below (shot at F8 with the Leica macro tube)

The entire file, shot on 1ds2 (mouse sans head, don't look if squeamish):

I've had this lens for about 20 years and don't intend to change it. However if I only shot wide open then the Canon EF or FD 85/1.2 L would be the better lens as it is sharper wide open. Horses for courses.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:02 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

JohnJ:

Thanks for your very helpful post and for sharing your thoughts.
I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

I own the 100MP, and have owned the 80 Lux-R. Both are awesome lenses, both are great for portraits. I would say that the 100MP is a bit more flexible overall, but the 80 isn't far off. From memory (I have not owned them at the same time), the 100MP is easier to focus, which could be important.

Honestly, I am not sure it would make a huge difference to switch, other than a slightly shorter focal length and no macro. If you find the 100MP long, then maybe look for something even shorter. The problem is that there is little between 60 and 80.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:34 AM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Carstenw:

Thanks for your input. Ease of focus is something I did not consider and its quite important.
Its also interesting and telling that you feel it might not make a big difference, having owned

Considering that I'll have to spend extra to get the Summilux it might be best to just stay with the MP if there is not a clear advantage.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:58 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

From what I see, I am in mp's camp - the pre-asph 90/2 is most likely a good start. The Leica-Rs are pretty different among themselves even, and I add to the mix the amazing 100/2.8 APO, a lens so good at what it does everyone should be able to afford one. Alas it's not so.

Of the CZ offerings, apart from the faster short telephotos, the 85/2.8 and 100/3.5 in the Contax range are sweet and small and have a very Sonnar signature, and soft bokeh. The faster 100/2 CY you see some lovely images from, it was a big favourite. Note that there is not one Sonnar in the ZE/F range - until the 135/2 arrives. Zeiss do seem intent on a Sonnar revival right now, the RX1 and I think maybe the NEX 24/1.8 also, good for them.

The 100MP is intended more as a general lens than a macro, that is how most use it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:34 AM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Sold my Zeiss 100 when I got my Leica 100/2.8 APO. Had the Leica 80/1.4 and it was great but I just never used it that much to be honest. Sold it when I got the Leca 90/2.8. Great lens especially for the price. Now I have the Leica 90/2. Hard to beat.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:04 AM
jamgolf
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Just wanted to share my decision in this thread...
Bought an Elmarit-r 90mm v2 and an Elmarit-r 60mm macro.
Waiting for both to arrive as well as Leitax adapters.

I'll share back my thoughts once I receive and use the two in a few days.

100mm MP is now on sale.

Cheers!

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 04:37 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:39 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Summilux-r 80mm or Zeiss 100mm MP

Two excellent choices. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on the change.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:32 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password