Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/samplephoto.html

Pretty insane sharpness, very nice rendering.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:52 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

Yeah, the lens looks fantastic. Fantastic detail. Wish they posted some higher ISO stuff, though. ALL of it is at ISO 100 or 200.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:19 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

Well, from what I've seen at higher ISOs there's a very good reason for that.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:26 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

Jman13 wrote:
Wish they posted some higher ISO stuff, though. ALL of it is at ISO 100 or 200.

Noise/ISO performance should be exactly the same as the DP1M/DP2M (same underlying sensor), for which you should be able to find plenty of pictures around already to indicate the (abysmal in color, reasonable but not world class in B&W) high ISO performance.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:38 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

The sharpness is great. Not so sure about the rendering from the lens. The blur in the garden and bridge shots looks a bit strange. Some of that I would ascribe to LCE being applied.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:38 PM
mordicai
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

the pictures tell us more about what the camera is not then what it is. but we already have this info from our DP2's.......Another excellent Sigma lens with a sensor which does not r ender skin tones well, and is not really usable at ISO over 200. Although I love this focal length for street shooting and portraits, the DP3 will not work there. Too bad, but we all know this. I'm happy with my DP2 for what it is, and hopefully Sigma will be able to improve on the sensor in the future and I can add this focal length to my collection.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Makten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

I can see banding in the first example image, so I guess it won't look good at all at higher ISO speeds.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:48 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

'Pretty insane sharpness'

Insane - never a truer word spoken in these days of more than adequate 'sharpness' from any number of cameras. It's like judging a sound system on how loud it is.

But the colour and other worldy rendering - they just don't seem to be getting on top of these issues, which are hard for many to look past. How does 3200 look?
Maybe they should approach Canon or Sony (and Adobe), I dunno, it's been years, and forever in digital years.

It reminds of the guys who used to shoot Techpan, for any oldtimers reading this - sharpness above all else.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

Horrible sensor performance from the shadows DR perspective. It looks like very like they were pushing them via decreasing black level. And banding is very obvious.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

Basically typical DPXM Foveon look. Its been known for sometime that the only difference was the lens so I find it difficult to understand why folks expect the sensor behaviour to be different. Its a Foveon, thats what it looks like, if you don't like it, fine, get over it, I love it, I don't see banding, I see amazing photographs but thats just me, what do I know? lol

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:48 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

everyone will have an opinion on the camera.

mine?

I want it sooooooooo much.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:08 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma posts full-size DP3 Merrill sample photos

That lens looks truly great, all you can expect from a fixed-mount 50mm lens for APS.

I just can't help but think that they should have taken the leap and made the DP-series with interchangeable lenses. That way you could get the DP1,2 and 3 in one camera. Yes, the lens mount diameters would be huge for an APS system, but there ARE known solutions for that, like breech mounts and so on.

But I guess they have lens-specific microlens layouts in the cameras, so the 19mm lens would have been slightly larger (more telecentric rear) than what it is today.

Or why not a very-short collapsible zoom?
A 25-50mm F2.8-3.5 or even F2.4-3.2 wouldn't have to be enormous. And it would have a huge impact on the usability of the camera (in a positive direction). I like the 50mm (x1.7 = 85mm on FF/FX), but it has a very narrow field of use.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password