Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hockey warning

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Hockey warning

I have taken many a baseball to the ribs, back, and arms and legs. I have had soccer balls tag me, and been hit by football players. I have always just called it part of the game. Tonight I got scared. I was shooting a high school hockey game. I was on a step ladder, high enough my head and camera were above the ice (no holes in the dirty, dirty, scuffed, scratched glass). During a face off right in front of me the puck shot up, up, and up right at me. I was able to dodge a little, ok, I flinched. The puck nailed my pocket wizard for my strobes and pulled it right off of my camera. (Camera and PW are fine). This changed the puck direction and it rolled right along the side of my head and ripped my cap right off of my head. I got lucky. If it was not for my Pocket Wizard, I would have a puck embedded in my forehead. So all you hockey players take care. You never know.

I posted this about a 5 or 6 years ago, but it is applicable today as we will be moving into baseball soon.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1576

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Trevorma
• •
p.1 #2 · Hockey warning

Carl, first off glad YOU are fine. Second I am also happy your gear is fine.

Thank you for posting this. From time to time we all need that simple reminder that no matter what sport you are shooting there is the chance that you yourself will get his with something.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:44 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #3 · Hockey warning

Carl, Echo Trevor, glad you are fine, had a lacrosse ball pass between my face and a BORROWED 600 f4 as I checked my histogram, Hit the paper guy square in his 1d 3 smashing the hell out of it. He was Ok , and the camera belonged to the paper!! Scary!

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:38 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Hockey warning

WoW that was a close call....... Glad to here that you escaped a puck between the eyes, that would have been dreadful and non forgiving!

I have shot a good amount of u17 baseball for "Perfect Game" and have been hit before. But once standing at the fence in-front of the 1st base dugout expecting to shoot a play at 2nd base a ball came off a bat straight for me I ducked and turned only to be hit in the hand still holding my camera on a monopod in the shooting position with my thumb over the * button. The camera would have been demolished if it was not for my hand, and to think if I didn't see it coming that my head and camera were at ball height where the monopod was adjusted to. Good thing I always look at the batter when I'm in a noted danger range. That millisecond is all i needed to react. My hand did swell quite quickly and went numb fast.

It pays to know the sport you are shooting really well and to expect the unexpected all the time.

Andy

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Kevin Ahearn

p.1 #5 · Hockey warning

I've taken a deflected shot to the jaw before at a college game. Luckily, I slowed it down enough with my thumb to take minimal damage to the face. Still not a fun experience.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:20 PM
poolek

p.1 #6 · Hockey warning

Thanks for the heads up Carl. Funny you should mention shooting off a step ladder, as I was doing the same thing during a senior hockey game last night. I found myself bobbing up and down as the play got close, but never considered a puck off the face off. Thanks for sharing!

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:02 AM
zrz2005101

p.1 #7 · Hockey warning

I had a similar situation in the past when I shot an university hockey game. I don't know where the puck came from but it came right for my face. Luckily I was able to dodge it but my 328 was out of luck. The front barrel took a full shot and I was shocked. Good thing is that the barrel took it not the front element or else I would be in huge trouble. From then on I always keep the lens hood on in any situation. Another one is during a football game a photog beside had his 1d4 and 428 knocked off by the flying ball and hit his face...I certainly do not want to experience that. But glad you are fine!

Best wishes,
Harry

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:28 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #8 · Hockey warning

Im usually feeling pretty good until that first foul ball during base/softball season comes in my general direction. After that first pucker factor happens, then Im usually on edge the rest of the season.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Hockey warning

So where is the shot of the puck coming at you? Don't tell us you missed it?

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hawkalicious

p.1 #10 · Hockey warning

I've been shooting sports for a couple decades and thankfully have only had a couple close calls. I took a football off a knee at a Canadian Football League game in Ottawa once. I've never been hit by a puck at a hockey game but I recall shooting from between two benches once with no glass in front of me and two players collided against the boards where I was standing. I ducked but took a stick to nearly the entire length of my spine. That hurt! Kept shooting.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Hockey warning

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/msg-john-giannon-takes-puck-face-during-rangers-033516320--nhl.html

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:37 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #12 · Hockey warning

Did you guys see Daryl Dyck's shot of the puck coming through the cut-out from last week? Kudos for not taking it on the nose, mad props for getting a shot of it!

http://blog.darryldyck.ca/post/42201218691/the-puck-passes-through-a-hole-cut-in-the-glass

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:58 PM
dweverett

p.1 #13 · Hockey warning

I remember the first game I went to as a kid. We were way up in the nose bleed seats. Someone took a slap shot that just cleared the glass and it hit the back of an open seat. It deflected up and went higher than my eye level. My thought at the time was that if someone had been in that seat they would have been dead. Would have been throat to head high.

Hockey's a scary sport depending on where you are sitting

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:01 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Hockey warning

No sports photographer that I can imagine would suggest that the hazards we occasionally face are even of the same universe as the mortal danger an embedded combat photog deals with on a daily (hourly, moment-by-moment) basis.

Still it does get scary out there at times. My most recent encounter came at homecoming for the local HS when a visiting back got shoved out of bounds where I was kneeling for a shot. I remember curling up and thinking, "Not the camera " Got a decent bruise out the deal, but the poor kid was really shook up and apologized repeatedly until I assured him everything was OK. Comes with the territory, I guess. I also suspect my greater concern for my gear than my body suggests something awry in my psyche.

Robert

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Jay Kopinski
• • •
p.1 #15 · Hockey warning

I second that! Oilers game while following Hall and a shot came around the boards, luckily it hit my lens and the corner hole and not right threw me. Good little cut over my eye however.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Hockey warning

A Follow up - I shot an email off to Pocket Wizard to let them know how the Multimax saved my life. They shot me an email back asking if my Pocket Wizard suffered any damage. I looked closer and did find a hairline crack on the hot shoe foot of my Multimax, took a photo and sent it back to Pocket Wizard and they said they would send me a new foot.

So, yesterday UPS hands be a box from LPA Designs and when I open it it has a little bag with two hot shoe feet in it...plus a Pocket Wizard hat and T-Shirt, a Pocket Wizard Lanyard, and a bunch of little PW stickers. LPA Designs is a great company.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:37 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #17 · Hockey warning

That's just a great ending, good on them!

I wonder if the company that made my cheap Chinese knock-off would do that? :P

Feb 21, 2013 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password