Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Monument Valley-Tours

Bob Altic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monument Valley-Tours

Hi All,
I am planning my trip out west in July. I will return to Arches, Canyonlands and want to visit Bryce and most especially Monument Valley. I will be traveling with a couple of friends, all of us on motorcycles. Myself and another guy will have trailers to carry our gear, so, all my pano stuff and a selection of lenses will make the trip. I'll have the 24 TSE and a Zeiss 50 as well as a 24-70 and 17-40. I'll be a happy camper, but have a question about the Indian guides. I have heard mixed things about taking the photo tours and the list really helped me choose the right guide for Antelope Canyon a couple of years ago. Can anyone recommend a guide that will help get some of the wonderful views of the valley without the wild open truck ride in the dust? Since we are on motors, we will need to park the bikes and get 4 wheel transport anyway. Appreciate any and all suggestions. My last trip to Utah was mind blowing. The guy that went with me thought I was nuts getting up at 430 to go shoot sunrises, but he really changed his mind!! Thanks again....Best, Bob

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:30 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monument Valley-Tours

We used Blackwater Tours and you can request them a photo tour and a closed Suburban. It costs a little bit extra, but well worth it, at least was for us.

Good luck.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monument Valley-Tours

Thanks, I'll check them out. Best, Bob

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:48 AM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monument Valley-Tours

This has definitely been discussed before. Do a search & you'll get the results...from what I remember there was a lot of pros & cons of nearly all guides.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monument Valley-Tours

Thanks Mark,
Can you suggest search parameters? I used Monument Valley and Monument Valley tour and got mine and lots of photos. Thanks in advance, Bob

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monument Valley-Tours

I can recommend Tom Phillips as a Monument Valley Guide. Tom's nephew took me (by myself) up on Hunt's Mesa . . . fantastic experience.

If necessary, PM me for a phone number.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:39 PM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monument Valley-Tours

Try this Bob...from the archives!!
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1013519/0?keyword=monument,valley,guides#9627859

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:48 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monument Valley-Tours

Chris Noyes wrote:

I can recommend Tom Phillips as a Monument Valley Guide. Tom's nephew took me (by myself) up on Hunt's Mesa . . . fantastic experience.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/cnoyes1_bucket/Travel/Arizona/Hunts%20Mesa/20090609-0253web.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/cnoyes1_bucket/Travel/Arizona/Hunts%20Mesa/20090609-0310web2.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj139/cnoyes1_bucket/Travel/Arizona/Hunts%20Mesa/20090610-0012web.jpg

If necessary, PM me for a phone number.

We had Tom Phillips' nephew too for a dawn tour which was excellent but perhaps he has a lot of nephews!!
Niall

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:00 AM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monument Valley-Tours

nrferguson wrote:
We had Tom Phillips' nephew too for a dawn tour which was excellent but perhaps he has a lot of nephews!!
Niall

I think you're right!

When I went to the website I posted above, I don't see Tom's name as a contact anymore . . . but two others with the last name of Phillips.

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monument Valley-Tours

Chris Noyes wrote:
I think you're right!

When I went to the website I posted above, I don't see Tom's name as a contact anymore . . . but two others with the last name of Phillips.

I believe Tom passed away last year. I had him as a guide 5 years ago. Wonderful person, so many stories and a very skilled photographer. He will be missed.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monument Valley-Tours

Thanks Chris,
Stunningly beautiful photos!! I've read a lot pro and con about him. I'll talk with the guys going with me and see what they want to do. I like the sunrise/sunset trip. We'll see . Best, Bob

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monument Valley-Tours

Thanks for the update, I'll contact the family. Bob

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM
azbill
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monument Valley-Tours

Stunning Hunt's Mesa photos!

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monument Valley-Tours

Wonderful series! Thanks for sharing!

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.