Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

NorthernWave

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

I just let go my 5d classic and am looking to upgrade before an upcoming trip. I was planning on going with the mark II but then I started reading all the scary AF reviews. Should I finance the mark iii purchase by selling my 70-200 f/4 IS? I have a 135 f/2 that I would like to use as my primary for this range, but it was front focusing on my 5d classic. I thought that the mark II micro adjust would help me out here but my soon-to-be wedding photographer who ditched his mark II's for mark III's said that the micro adjust didn't solve the reliability of the AF system. I was quite shocked when he told me he trained himself into taking 3 or 4 photos just to make sure he got one in focus!

It seems crazy to shell out double, especially considering camera bodies depreciate compared to glass, but everyone seems to be raving about the mark III. I'm really stuck on what to do and if the mark iii upgrade is worth the risk of avoiding a terrible AF system. The 70-200 seems like it should go, but it's just such a good lens.

Was anyone else in the same boat?

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:06 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Seems like a strange choice to make based on another photographer's lack of skill...

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:09 PM
jah2266
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Depends on what you shoot.
I had troubles with my 135 on some of my 5Dc bodies but I picked up a 1DS MK III and both my 85 and 135 are incredible on it. Not the point. I tried the MK III for a while and it was nice, had some much improved focusing, silent shutter, etc, but I did not care for the colors or files. Im weird, everyone loves there. I sold it and stayed 5Dc, 5D MK II, and picked up a 1DS MK III for $2400 instead. If size and high iso is not super important to you, a 1D or 1DS series can be had for less than the MK III. You could keep your glass then.
By the way, I only trust the center focus point on the 5Dc and MK II. Focus recompose it the best way. The MKII focus system is basically the same as the 5Dc. if you were fine with that, then go MK II instead.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:27 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Eh? 5d2 is reliable, just keep to the center point . The "scary AF reviews" I am unaware of, but I read plenty of disappointed AF reviews.

I do,love my 3's focusing, but that is because I do a lot of off-center usage which is where the 5d1/2 stumbles.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:39 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

I only used the centre point on the 5DC and 5D2.

As jasonhupe said there's very little difference between 5DC and 5D2 AF - if you're happy with the 5DC you'll be fine with the 5D2. The 5D2 adds AF microadjust which is a bonus

I did upgrade to the 5D3, and I like the new AF but I don't often shoot fast moving subjects so I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra over the 5D2

I love the 135mm and it focuses perfectly for me on both 5D2 and 5D3, I use that and an 85mm 1.8 instead of a 70-200, but YMMV

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:46 PM
NorthernWave

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:50 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

The center AF point on the 5d2 is perfectly fine. I think that if it was that bad you would not see soooooooo many wedding photogs with them. The " crappy AF" is more to do with the outer points.

My 5d2 is perfectly fine and quick on center pt. I had the 5d3, and resold it as I didn't think it was worth it. In fact, I sold the mk3 to buy a 500/4 is.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:53 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

If you have enough for the 5D II now buy it and use it for your trip. The prices have stabilized so you can resell after the trip if you don't like it. Cheaper than renting if you have the cash.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:02 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Don't listen to too much of the Internet babble, the mark ii is a fine camera and a sweet deal right now. If you can swing it the 6d is even better especially if you see the benefit of wifi and GPS built in. In my opinion unless you need the 5diii af (sports, wildlife) then the 6d is a better overall camera and cheaper to boot.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

For a casual, budget-conscious photog the MKII is a great choice.

If you can afford the MKIII without feeling as if you've overspent then it's a great camera - it's more than just improved AF. And with the 135 it's stellar.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:27 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

scottam10 wrote:
As jasonhupe said there's very little difference between 5DC and 5D2 AF - if you're happy with the 5DC you'll be fine with the 5D2. The 5D2 adds AF microadjust which is a bonus

I dissent; besides the micro-adjust you mention above, the 5D II has live view, a truly high-resolution screen, 21 megapixels compared to high 12-ish, some embedded lens correction, and uses the "current" LP-E6 batteries while the 5D uses the prior BP-511 series.

It's really worth looking at the 5DII.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:17 AM
svetljo

[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

i think i wouldn't sell a favorite lens for a body, i'd rather postpone the purchase ;-)

5d mk2 AF is essentially the same as 5dc - center point is fine,the others not so fine
thats why back then i decided to pick a 1Ds mk3 instead of 5d mk2
1 series AF is completely different league, all AF points work great and focus recompose isnt needed

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:54 AM
ilikeglass
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

NorthernWave wrote:
I just let go my 5d classic and am looking to upgrade before an upcoming trip...

The "skill factor" of the photographer more than makes up for the difference in the quality of photographs produced using different bodies. I would have kept the 5Dc and invested in more glass if needed. You don't mention the type of photography that you do, which would be good to know.

I use the 5D II and like others have mentioned, use the center focus point exclusively. Professionally I shoot photojournalism, magazines and heck, even a series of pro soccer games (I'm told the results were excellent and the editor didn't ask what body I used). Right now the "II" is the value leader.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Although it can be deduced from the text, since 1DIII and 1DsIII exist, it would be nice to spell out 5DIII, not Mark III, so we don't have to guess.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:34 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sell a favorite lens to finance mark III purchase to avoid AF issue?

Main issue IMO of the 5D MkII is the lack of corner AF spots. This can be a hassle for portrait shooters when you have the camera vertically and want to focus on an eye for a head shot with a fast aperture stop. You always need to recompose here with the 5D II. I rarely do this kind of photography, so this is not a big issue for me. I am using for AF in most cases the center AF. Other than this, the 5D II is a very solid package and wasn't by chance one of the best selling FF cameras in the past years. Currently it has the best price/value ratio for FF out there given that its meanwhile about 7-8 years old AF system is not competitive with current newer camera models. People who regularily shoot at high ISO numbers might also prefer a newer FF model with better noise handling.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.