FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

I'm going to pop down to the Galapagos for a few days (posting only- drat ).
Came across a few slides to be scanned (maybe a couple to be re-processed).
Please note that the islands sit astride the Equator about 500 miles west of the South American country of Ecuador.
There is a "hot spot" under the earth's mantle and (as with the Hawai'ian Islands), volcanoes form, break the surface, move away, die and are weathered down by the instruments of erosion (wind, water, gravity, etc.)
Because of its complete isolation, the life forms that found their way to the islands developed into largely unique species. As a result, the animals never had contact with humans until a few hundred years ago. Consequently, most have little or no fear of people.
I signed up in Guyaquil to be on a 40-50 foot converted fishing boat with captain and 2 crew. We had an Ecuadorian guide, and the eight of us tourists first met when we got aboard the vessel in port in the Galapagos after flying there from the mainland.
Three French, two Dutch, two Italians and me. Amusingly, the common language was English- so our guide spoke to us in English. Also amusing was that we had three tiny cabins .

About this image:
Mamma sea lion (smaller versions of the California sea lion) is resting on the rocks with her (probably) still-nursing baby.
We humans stumbled about on the lava rock.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:20 PM
KF
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

You're making me jealous Charlie, I want to go there too one day.....

Thanks for the picture and the info

Koen.

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:00 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

It looks like a fun trip Charlie - I sure would like to get there ~ Ron

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

WoW,

my best friend Mimmi's gone not all that many years ago. She said it was wonderful to go.

Must have been a great experience

Lil

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:27 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Definitely on by bucket list, but I'll go with more current clothing styles that what these folks are wearing. Nice image Charlie.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Thanks for commenting, Koen, Ron, Lil and Ken.
The Galapagos Islands are a unique and fascinating destination- for certain.
I combined it with a visit to Cuzco/Machu Picchu (Peru), and they all remain among my most memorable destinations. Luckily, I went way back when "fashionable" clothing styles went hand in hand with affordable travel .
For the record, I wore regular trousers on the trip . Although along the Equator, the Galapagos are surrounded by the sea, and it wasn't uncomfortably hot when I was there.
Most Americans traveling to the Galapagos make all their arrangements in the US, and end up on a semi-luxury small cruise ship with 50-100+ other Americans. No doubt it's simpler and more comfortable to do that (AND a great trip, of course). But it's a lot more expensive than flying round trip to Ecuador and checking out a few reputable travel agency offerings.
For me personally, I don't like to travel thousands of miles to visit exciting places, and then spend all my time with other Americans.
To each his or her own, of course .
Charlie

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:15 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

I absolutely loved my trip to the Galapagos. We booked a fairly "luxurious" trip in that the small boat had nice accommodations but it was a very small group, with only 12 people on the boat (only two of whom were also American). The wildlife was spectacular!

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

binary visions wrote:
I absolutely loved my trip to the Galapagos. We booked a fairly "luxurious" trip in that the small boat had nice accommodations but it was a very small group, with only 12 people on the boat (only two of whom were also American). The wildlife was spectacular!

12 people- most of whom were from other countries- and a comfortable boat- sounds about perfect to me.
The main purpose in going to the Galapagos is to see the un-shy wildlife, and that makes almost any trip a success- even one of the larger cruise ships.
We were on one island when a 100-person luxury ship dropped anchor (as you know- but others may not: all boats must drop anchor- only small dinghies hit the sand). As the passengers came ashore, it was something of a party-time thing- sun bathing, paying more attention to each other than to the nearby sea lions who lived on that beach. Things like that. It was probably the kind of trip they all wanted- but I sure was glad to NOT be on that ship.
Again- to each his or her own .
Charlie

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:12 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Charlie Shugart wrote:
As the passengers came ashore, it was something of a party-time thing- sun bathing, paying more attention to each other than to the nearby sea lions who lived on that beach. Things like that. It was probably the kind of trip they all wanted- but I sure was glad to NOT be on that ship.

Totally agree. Being on a small boat meant we got places quickly, saw some nice sunrises from the islands, explored some small caves, got to chase a couple pods of dolphins, and generally were completely alone with our small group all the time. Those giant boats would spend most of an hour just ferrying the group from the boat to the island... and I can't imagine why you'd go to the Galapagos to simply sit out in the sun.

I think my favorite were the waved albatross.

http://photos.crackedframe.com/galapagostripreport/DSC_8136.jpg

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Charlie wonderful my friend!

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:18 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

nice one Charlie

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:25 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

A great addition to the travels of Uncle Charlie...well done and well documented!
Eric

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

Thanks Ted, Ken and Eric.
"Uncle Charlie!" I don't think so, Eric .
Charlie (who ain't no uncle of nobody posting on FM )

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:25 PM
docfrank
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Galapagos Islands- sea lions

When there, I slipped on the wet lava rocks and landed flat on my back to much embarassment. My camera was shielded by my chest and was not embarrassed.

frank

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.