New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Canon Confirms AF Assist Beam Firmware update in works
Canon is schedule to release a firmware update for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III in April providing uncompressed HDMI output support and adding cross-type AF support at f/8. It now has confirmed that it's working on a fix for the AF Assist Beam. This update will be available for the Canon EOS-1D X as well.

"Canon has confirmed that, depending upon the shooting conditions, it may take slightly longer for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X digital SLR cameras to acquire focus when using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam, compared with that of the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS-1D Mark IV digital SLR cameras using the Speedlite's AF Assist Beam. We are developing a firmware update to enhance the focusing feature for the EOS 5D Mark III and the EOS-1D X. The schedule for release of this firmware update will be announced shortly."

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:46 PM
DemonAstroth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

If that makes it so that my 400mm f/5.6 + 1.4x II will autofocus, I will have to start saving.

At this point 5dii and 7d are a great combo, but the 5d3 features keep getting better!

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:04 PM
joeisayo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

I assume this is only when you're using a speedlight and not the ST-E3 which does not have an infrared beam?

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Looking forward to this, it was what made me wait so long on the 5D3. There was a long thread on this here started by a wedding photographer who got shot down badly for daring to suggest there might be a problem with the focus of the mkIII. I only wish some of them would apologise now but that isn't the way of forums unfortunately.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:27 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Great news about f8 shooting, I sure wish Canon would put a build in laser beam assist on the bodies like every point and shoot, nikon, etc has in case a flash is not attached to avoid hunting in low light though It hasnt been an issue with the 5DIII with f2.8 lenses yet but always was with every other body, but did have trouble with f4 lenses in a club.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:48 PM
flowing

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Wow thats great news...low light focusing is so much worse than my old 5dmk2!!! thats a great!

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:20 PM
flowing

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

I'm with you!!!
https://www.facebook.com/CanonEos5dMarkIiiFocusProblems?ref=hl

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:21 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Amazing!! And some people were trying to convince us it wasn't a real problem

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Good to hear, as my 5D III didn't seem to AF at all with my 600 EX assist beam in very low light.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:32 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Good on Canon for listening and responding to its constituents. Attitude like this is what keeps customer loyalty. Photography products are so good these days. What defines a good business is not necessary by its products but instead by how a business treats its customers.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Nice. Very happy about the AF assist light fix.

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:51 PM
tlbradford

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AF Assist Beam Firmware update in the works

Good. I assumed it was me doing something wrong since I am new to strobes. Now I can go back to thinking I am wonderful again.

Seriously though, can I get the AF confirmation and lit focus point when using servo. That would be great.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.