New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Focal has stopped working error

Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focal has stopped working error

Trying to calibrate my 5DIII and I keep getting the error Focal has stopped working. It appears to be a windows error. I was using Windows 7 and an older version of Focal and upgraded it to the new Beta 1.8 and still getting the error. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kathy

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focal has stopped working error

Have you tried contacting them?

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focal has stopped working error

I get that constantly. The program is very buggy. Crashes all the time with me.

Make sure to disable focus peak... That would not even allow me to run the program, at all. With it disabled, I get crashes less often.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Focal has stopped working error

Haven't tried yet, the last time it took a long time to respond.

Thanks Invertalon. I'll try that.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:10 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Focal has stopped working error

Make sure to disable focus peak...

I just bought the Pro version to MA my lenses on my 5D2.
I had the same problem running aperture sharpness until I figured out to uncheck "find focus peak" last night. Now, no crashes. FoCal is notified of this. Their support is not very good. Not impressed.
My Sigma 105 Macro cannot be MA'd as it goes higher than 20. I guess I need to bring it to them. My good fortune to live 12 miles from their facility on Long Island.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:56 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Focal has stopped working error

Similar problem. On my netbook it will recognises my 1DIII body but not the serial number.
On my desktop I receive a "only one instance of software can run at a time".
Reikan contacted. Have a ticket number but no potential solution.

email received.
"Assuming you've updated the LMS and then cut/pasted this into FoCal on the PC and it's not recognising the camera at all then
We've seen this with the latest version - we've tracked it down to Canon dropping support for the 1d3 in their lastest SDK - we are implementing a fix to allow 'legacy' cameras to still work with Focal.
I'd advise you not to update any canon software that you would want to use connected to you 1d3 also or you may see this problem too

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Focal has stopped working error

I finally got it going but it locked up and or crashed numerous times I did finally get several of my lenses calibrated on both my cameras. Too bad they don't have the automatic working on the 5DIII.

I don't find a setting that says to "disable focus peak" . Under Settings "Focus Peak Determination" I have none checked. I assume that is what you are checking.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:25 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Focal has stopped working error

Yeah I find it pretty buggy too..especially with the new 1DX and 5DKIII....and certainly too bad they cannot get these to auto adjust..
I have the pro version and it's hit and miss getting OSX to recognize the camera but it doesn't crash like the windows version...although that is much better than it was..
Lots of work needed yet to get this fine tuned.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Focal has stopped working error

Obviously there's an opportunity here for some bright programmers.

Hopefully of the freeware kind.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:19 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Focal has stopped working error

Might I suggest this instead: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Focal has stopped working error

I had to turn off the "Camera HotKey" feature then I had no issues.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Larate
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Focal has stopped working error

Tony B wrote:
Similar problem. On my netbook it will recognises my 1DIII body but not the serial number.

email received.
"Assuming you've updated the LMS and then cut/pasted this into FoCal on the PC and it's not recognising the camera at all then
We've seen this with the latest version - we've tracked it down to Canon dropping support for the 1d3 in their lastest SDK - we are implementing a fix to allow 'legacy' cameras to still work
...Show more

Assuming the high price of this soft, we would expect another answer instead of not upgrading the Canon software. Taking account that Focal is supplied with its own Canon runtime, it should at least implements DLL dependencies better. Yep, it's a bit harder.
I won't reply here everything I said about this product in a former post. To summarize : alas I'm not surprised of your post.

Larate

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:14 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Focal has stopped working error

Larate, I am curious only. Are you saying Canon supplies Focal specifically with an sdk or that it is publicly available for Focal to use?
If the new Canon DLLs don't fully support the 1DIII, then focal would have to dig up old Canon DLLs and force focal to use them instead. Canon licensing may be an issue - can focal supply old DLLs for 'legacy' devices directly? Some dll's you can, some you can't. It depends on the dll's EULA.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:50 AM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Focal has stopped working error

Larate wrote:
Assuming the high price of this soft, we would expect another answer instead of not upgrading the Canon software.

Sounds to me like a pretty good answer, Larate. What FoCal is saying, as I read it: We are fixing our software so that the latest version will work with legacy Canon cameras, even though Canon may not be doing the same with their software. By the way: if you update your Canon software, it -- the Canon software -- may not work with your legacy Canon camera.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:01 AM
wmj1

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Focal has stopped working error

I had to go back to version 1.6 to keep Focal running on my Windows XP laptop. Versions 1.7 and 1.8 Beta cause a Windows error that closes the program!

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Focal has stopped working error

Tony B wrote:

email received.
We've seen this with the latest version - we've tracked it down to Canon dropping support for the 1d3 in their lastest SDK - we are implementing a fix to allow 'legacy' cameras to still work
...Show more

My 5D-mk3 shows up as not licensed, so it crashes. The problem is I entered the S/N with a typo. I was advised to update the LMS. what in the world is LMS? I can get to the license page by clicking about, but the S/N is not editable nor is there a place to enter an new one.

Takes a long time to get a reply from them so I try here.

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Focal has stopped working error

Greggbhill wrote:
I had to turn off the "Camera HotKey" feature then I had no issues.

Where is camera hot key?

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:25 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Focal has stopped working error

Ben, the license management system can be found in a link on this web page
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/purchase/

or directly
http://www.reikan.co.uk/rtlwebmain/ipn/license.aspx

Go to your email receipt, type in your email address and transaction id. At that point, you will be logged into your account.
From there you should be where you can ADD another serial number to your license. It will update the license text which you can copy and past into your focal software. As far as deleting an incorrect license, not sure what they will do. there is room for around half a dozen camera bodies, so I would not worry about it.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:50 PM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Focal has stopped working error

I bought the Plus version. I was constantly getting an error in the middle of its testing. Saying it cannot find target . it was all over the place with the MA from -15 to +3 on same lens. I contacted them asking I would like a refund cause it is very buggy and inconstant for me

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Focal has stopped working error

dgdg wrote:
Ben, the license management system can be found in a link on this web page
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/purchase/

or directly
http://www.reikan.co.uk/rtlwebmain/ipn/license.aspx

Go to your email receipt, type in your email address and transaction id. At that point, you will be logged into your account.
From there you should be where you can ADD another serial number to your license. It will update the license text which you can copy and past into your focal software. As far as deleting an incorrect license, not sure what they will do. there is room for around half a dozen camera bodies, so I would not worry about it.

Gotcha, I tried it and got a new license, now I need to paste it into my laptop.

Some words, when logging into the page, it asks for transaction ID or s/n. S/n did not work, but the PayPal code did.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.