Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

fgransee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

I am looking for a black photo background (about 9 x 15 or 10 x 20)

First criteria is quality for the shoot, second would be convenience/usability and only as third criteria the price. I don't want to waste my money and time on a background that's just a headache to work with ... and of course I don't just want to buy something hoping it would be good because of a steep price tag.

Can anyone recommend a specific product ? I would greatly appreciate any helpful response. Frank

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:08 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Seamless paper? If it's truly a background (well behind your subject) about anything black will work. If it is within the lighting of your subject, then it's a whole different matter. If for example, your subject is standing on the black background and you light your subject, then even the black will be lit and show. Can you explain more about your intended shoot?

Rob

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:15 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

I would intend also to use lighting on the background as well, Rob. I use a synthetic "Diamond Cloth" in gray which is alright but I suppose there might be other brands that photogs here have good experience with.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Savas K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Black velvet?

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

fgransee wrote:
I am looking for a black photo background (about 9 x 15 or 10 x 20)

First criteria is quality for the shoot, second would be convenience/usability and only as third criteria the price. I don't want to waste my money and time on a background that's just a headache to work with ... and of course I don't just want to buy something hoping it would be good because of a steep price tag.

Can anyone recommend a specific product ? I would greatly appreciate any helpful response. Frank

I'm not sure I follow. You want a "product" instead of putting up a rack with a pipe across it? Does this mean you need it to be portable? Or just roll and unroll easily like normal?

If the former I haven't a clue! But if the later then rolls of flooring are what do it for me (tho I haven't done that in ages). Flooring and floor coverings come in wide widths, super easy to clean (important after a 5 model group shot for a soggy sandwich shop), durable (can be walked on and etc. - also important IMO), and thick enough that you can just turn the roll back and it'll roll up without fowling. Paper is good when you need translucency tho.

The rack and pipe are probably $50 to $75 and flooring slash floor coverings are priced as you find them different from place to place, retail, factory, etc.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:46 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Velvet is very expensive($35+ per yard and not wide enough) and crushes...avoid. Black paper creases and winds up being more expensive than muslin in the long run. Ebay black muslins tend to be too thin and light "through" - been there, been burned. I'd stick with a muslin from either Denny or Studio Dynamics. Too many others are just importing Chinese or Korean muslins which tend to be quite thin and troublesome for all black or all white backdrops.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

fgransee
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Thank you for your feedback !

@ Savas - Black velvet would be nice but it's rather pricey if not used commercially.
@ Bifurcator - With "product" I was referring to a recommendation for a specific item or brand. I do have a 12ft stand that I use to hang my backgrounds. Paper might be interesting for smaller framed portrait shots ... I should look at that in a local photography shop
@ George - I did find the Studio Dynamics backgrounds. Thank you! They have very good reviews.

At the end I went with that Diamond Cloth again ... it's wrinkle free (pretty much if you keep it on a roll). They also have a pretty good sale going on right now ... paid $89 for a 10x20 (Usually $99 - 129)

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

A hundred bucks isn't too bad I guess. I was paying about $20 to $30 for floor coverings and such at a used and dead stock shop I still frequent. I think they're about 8 feet wide and vary in length - sometimes only 3 or 4 meters and sometimes 8 to 12 meters per roll. If I wanted to pay actual prices I could usually get double that width from the factory - again probably pretty cheap depending - maybe $100 would get 15' x 20' rolls or something like that.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

I have one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/191645-REG/Backdrop_Alley_BA004_58x120_Velour_Backdrop.html

It is narrow, but the quality is top notch. It swallows light and never wrinkles. I've considered buying a second and sewing them together.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:50 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Glad people are putting the @ sign in front of names, otherwise I'd have no idea that I or anyone else was being addressed if for instance, only the person's name was written.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Have you looked into Duvetyne? The non-reflective surface makes for easy post processing.

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:46 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BLACK BACKGROUND - PLEASE RECOMMEND

@ Leftcoast : bookmarked the link for future reference. Thanks!
@ Joe : Interesting - never heard about Duvetyne before. May indeed be a very good background or a medium to darken out any unwanted light in a studio setting. Thank you.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:59 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password