Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WT-4a to WT-5a

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WT-4a to WT-5a

I am shooting with a Nikon D4 with a D3 backup, I am currently using the Wt4a wireless transmitter but I am thinking about going to the newer WT-5a, I am looking for some input from someone who has gone through the same move. Does the WT-5a work easier? is the hookup difficult? does the range increase? I guess you loose the wire, weight and need for lugging around the other batteries - any downside?
Also my antenna broke on my 4a (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171775/0#11216268) I glued it back together but who knows how long it will last.
thanks for your input
Dave

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:59 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WT-4a to WT-5a

No responses yet I'll bump this up, since I'm curious how the WT-5a plays with the D4.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:08 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WT-4a to WT-5a

I thought the 5a was going for over 800. when it first came out but now I see it in the 500. range.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:18 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WT-4a to WT-5a

If someone would like to send me $6,000 for a D4 and $500 for the WT-5a, I would be happy to do thorough testing, including benchmarks, with lots of pretty charts and graphs. I have a full suite of benchmarking tools and signal testers here at work...

Just offering my services. I'm that kind of a nice guy.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:07 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WT-4a to WT-5a

david debalko wrote:
I thought the 5a was going for over 800. when it first came out but now I see it in the 500. range.

The first price I heard was 1K, so, the 500+ is better but still expensive. The one review I read loved it with the iPad app; however, thought the file transfer aspect was too slow. The 600+ foot range is good.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:20 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WT-4a to WT-5a

Read the reviews, something like this may work in place of the WT5, it's pretty much the same router the Camranger is using with their software...

http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Portable-Battery-Wireless-TL-MR3040/dp/B0088PPFP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358911420&sr=1-1&keywords=TL-MR3040

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:23 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WT-4a to WT-5a

Well I got the WT-5 and spent 90 minutes on the phone with nikon and I still don't have it hooked up to the computer, has anyone else done this? I just want to send JPEGs to my laptop for the art director to review, I've done this before with the WT4

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glenn1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WT-4a to WT-5a

Hi David, I have the wt-5 and I've got it hooked up to my laptop. &i pad.IFound the best way is to set it up using the wireless utility software it lets me send the images to the laptop which then open up in Nikon Capture.The only thing I can't get to work is the http on the laptop,it works on the iPad.
I think the reason for this is that when I first had the wt5 I set it up on the laptop using LAN cable which worked ok but now when I try to connect using the wt5 it starts up but then the program freezes,Nikon UK also say they've had problems trying to set it up.
I can also send images from camera to my website with no problems.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:58 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WT-4a to WT-5a

James R wrote:
The first price I heard was 1K, so, the 500+ is better but still expensive. The one review I read loved it with the iPad app; however, thought the file transfer aspect was too slow. The 600+ foot range is good.

I don't know about the 600+ foot range. It is in fact only wifi and unless you have a perfect situation I can't imagine it will work that far. However, I could try and see if you want a real world test.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WT-4a to WT-5a

I have one on my D4 but after playing with it to see that it worked I haven't really used it. I do leave it attached to the camera even if it is easy to remove...

If someone has specific questions on getting something to work then you can post them here and I can try to help. If I have a similar configuration then I will set mine up the same and then let you know how I did it.

One thing I don't like is the setup in the D4. You cannot have 2 setups and switch between them. For instance, if you want to connect your devices (iphone, iPad, Computer) to the D4 via an existing WiFi network then you can configure it to do so. But then if you want to take your D4 out to the park and have the WT-5a create your own private WiFi network then you have to reconfigure it completely. I would have liked to be able to setup several configurations for different scenarios and then just select the one I need where ever I go.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WT-4a to WT-5a

chuckbernard wrote:
I don't know about the 600+ foot range. It is in fact only wifi and unless you have a perfect situation I can't imagine it will work that far. However, I could try and see if you want a real world test.

That is is on Nikon's fact sheet. It may have been a little less than 600, but definitely over 550.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:09 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WT-4a to WT-5a

We had trouble with hooking up the http way, but using pc>image transfer it seems to be working. I really don't need to control the camera from my laptop, all I want is to send jogs to the laptop while I shoot, so my assistant or client can see them. PC transfer is all that is needed for that. Maybe I will try the http connection at some point, but glad to get this working. First test of it today on a job site.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:50 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WT-4a to WT-5a

well I did get the WT5 hooked up to my D4 and yesterday I used it in a Symphony hall that I have shot in before using the WT 4a and I must say the WT5 was much better-tranfering photos to my assistant on the laptop in the back of the hall, it worked pretty much wherever I was in the hall and it is a very large venue. And another plus was not having to worry about the wire or the WT 4a around my shoulder.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password