Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Paneful ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Paneful ...

This week's WA @ Symmetry

Kent Southers 2013 ... aka RustyBug

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Paneful ...

Symmetry probably wouldn't have been my first thought here but I really like the image, Kent.
Characteristic RustyBug attention to lines.
Nice gold/blue color contrast.
Nice contrast between the graphic lines of the bus/panes and the more organic/fractal nature of the rust and broken glass.

Did you do some white balance on the glass to reduce the reflection of the blue sky? Leaving that blue or adding it might boost the 3D a bit. Probably not better - just different.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:53 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Paneful ...

I think you're reaching to consider this for "Symmetry".

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Paneful ...

Agree with Doug - a stretch.

Bob

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Paneful ...

Thanks guys,

+1 @ symmetry is not a "first thought" ... as intended/expected.

Dennis, the WB @ windows vs. blue sky is mostly due to the orientation of the sun's low angle to camera left, i.e. the windows aren't reflecting the overhead blue sky, but rather the direct low sun.

+1 @ the "Symmetry" isn't "in your face" obvious. Recognizing that you often times have to help your viewer more than you might otherwise imagine, this one wasn't intended to fit that model. But, in the spirit of the WA to "stretch" yourself, I sought to find something outside of the realm of a more obvious geometric symmetry.

While this does include some similar lines, form and shape ... it is the "symmetrical" fate of the window panes that affords a different non-geometric attribute of symmetry for me (i.e. the real message of the image).

As a goal of garnering votes ... likely not a strong contender, as noted by everyone's "stretch". But, as a goal of "stretching" myself, I knew up front that it would generate something sublime, at best (compared to a more obvious use of geometric symmetry), which rarely goes over well ... back to my mantra of us often "needing to help the viewer more".

It is understood that a strong image typically stands on its own obvious merit, without explanation, yet sometimes we still feel compelled to create those of more subtle/sublime nature. Here's a few of the (similar/symmetrical) things that caught my attention as I was studying this one:

Irregular Holes (windows & sheet metal)
Outward Dispersion (window cracks & rust)
Rectangular Panes
Linear Posts, Frames & Seams
Silhouetted Windows

The complementary colors were an added bonus.
Of course, I couldn't resist the opportunity for the entendre either.

Also, glad to hear that the color contrast and (RB) attention to lines/organic/fractal contrast interplay came through ... thanks.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:21 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Paneful ...

I really like the image.
Perfect crop, POV.
Pleasing colors and yes, complementary as well.
A certain tidiness to the angle, crop, a certain symmetry to the damage.
And still, probably a stretch for Symmetry. But not enough reason not to present a good image and play with group.

I havent participated enough in WA and MA to draw conclusions about the judging. I can tell you how I think.
1. Does the image closely address the topic (heavy weighting) If yes, I move to other considerations.
2. Is it creative? Does it elicit "I wish I thought of that?" Or "I never would have thought of that"
3. Is it properly executed technically
Scott

I

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Paneful ...

Thanks Scott.

Yeah, not a lot of symmetry "WOW" factor ... i.e. too much study/thinking involved for competition. Mostly, the reference to the WA is to note the catalyst for the image. In hindsight ... I think I should have not mentioned the "symmetry" aspect from the WA to this group ... leaving the image to stand on its own as an image on a more visceral level, not prompting it for consideration as a "symmetry image".

Can't unring that bell ... maybe next time.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #8 · Paneful ...

Hi Rusty,

I agree with the guys--this is a stretch. However, everything else about the photo is interesting.

Why not shoot it again at the same time of day, but straight on. Compose for two windows, side by side, allowing the framework of the bus to indicate symmetry, while letting the broken windows counter it?

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Paneful ...

I've observed that topic compliance for the WA is less important than a strong image. That said, I sometimes look at the WA winner and shake my head.

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Paneful ...

Thanks John,

I shot them straight on @ four square and wider as well. I thought I was going to use the four square, but didn't "feel it" when I got started @ PP. I thought it would have strong symmetry, but I just didn't find it as "interesting", i.e. seemed a bit more static. I also thought I'd do a single pane with the "radial symmetry", but again, just didn't "feel it" at the time.

These are a couple "straight on" sooc's for reference.

AuntiPode wrote:

That said, I sometimes look at the WA winner and shake my head.

Haven't we all ... sometimes even when its our own.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #11 · Paneful ...

Rusty,

Try cropping the next set of windows, with the N and the word SCHOOL. Also, leave that rich blue sky in!

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Paneful ...

Thanks John, I see the pairing you're referring to. I tried those, but still I kept coming up short. Looks good in my head, sounds good on paper, but still comes out "bleh" (too static) when I try it. I think there is too much departure from the symmetry to pull it off as symmetrical when I try to go formal symmetry with it. That, and the image / lighting just seems to go "flat" when I square up on it. Kinda like trying to force the square peg into the round hole, it just doesn't wanna fit right.

While I haven't seem to come up with anything more interesting/dynamic than the OP, imo ... you / others are free to play and see what someone can come up with. I'm just in the "swing & a miss" territory with my other attempts as they keep coming up with an image I'm looking "at" ... rather than one I'm drawing into / through ... if that makes any sense.

Thanks to all for your help. I thought about shooting a kaleidoscope or a backlit fruit slice for the geometric symmetry ... but those just seemed too cliche' (and not very "stretching"), or they struck me as something you look "at", more so than something you "study".

There are certainly better examples of geometric symmetry in many of the other postings for the WA ... but I got my "stretch yourself" mileage out of it, just the same.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:25 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #13 · Paneful ...

Hope you don't mind me playing with your image. The most interesting part of this image for me are the holes in the glass. So in my crop/interpretation, there is a duality: the symmetry in the window squares, complemented by the randomness of the holes in the glass. Not sure if this works for your project...always enjoy looking at your work.

Another shot at symmetry

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Paneful ...

Thanks and "no worries" @ playing with the image.

Of the "squared up" versions, this wider, multi-pane crop is surprisingly more to my liking than what I generated with the two square/four pane (which was my original "symmetry" thought). I think it's because you can "travel" along the image a bit more as you connect the dots along the way.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:52 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #15 · Paneful ...

After I did this crop I was even thinking that 3 panes might work better. Rule of thirds...

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Paneful ...

The main problem with the long thin crop is the WA limit of 640 pixels. Hard to render it will within the small limit.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password