Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinion...

pbraymond
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'd suggest starting at the bottom of the ladder and working your way up as you eliminate models for not doing or having something that you really want.

+1, if the D200 deos everything you want, and you just need to replace it, I think just about any current (or even D300s generation) Nikon DSLR would bring some IQ improvement and some MP gain. Bang for buck refurb is probably D7000 for DX cams based on your stated budget. Depending on what lenses you own, used FX may make sense, the D700 is going for some really good prices right now used, D600 is newest tech if you already have all the FX lenses you would need though I think it may be a little early for a field track record of reliability long term, but if I was in your shoes I would not be worried about that. Nice problem to have, good luck!

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:58 PM
pcrit
• •
p.2 #2 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

If you want to stick with DX then I would certainly say the D300s is a huge bargain right now but high ISO is not that great at all and the D7000 would be better but faster fps and build quality in the D300s and you caould save some money for lenses. I guess it depends on which format you want to go with. For FX I would go with a used D3 or D700 if you are on a budget.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:58 PM
MalbikEndar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

> +1, if the D200 deos everything you want, and you just need to replace it, I think just about any current (or even D300s generation) Nikon DSLR would bring some IQ improvement and some MP gain.

What they said. For what you are describing- any DSLR will do, choose on the basis of price, features you need, and your degree of camera lust.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:33 PM
fredjlord

p.2 #4 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Thank you all. Your answers are very informative and great food for thought. The D200 is still running along okay so the move isn't going to be an immediate one.
I appreciate the incredible depth of knowledge here and the fact that everyone is trying to help out a fellow photographer. My profile shows Canon equipment but I'm not a fan boy for any particular brand. The usage is as described, mostly illustration reference images with some other medium-duty photography. The main thing is that the new body runs and lasts as long as the D200 has with some real improvements to user interface and image quality.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I think the overall construction quality of all new Nikon cameras is likely to be similar, and whether your particular body lasts forever or gives you any issues is a statistical question that is not likely to be affected by the model you choose to buy. Personally, I would not expect better or worse reliability from a D5100 or a D700 purely from a product-quality point of view; but I would expect to see a difference in how they stand up to abuse. If you're not abusing them, I see no need to pay for the ruggedness.

I'd say refurb 5100 for the lowest cost, or new 5200 for that nice 24MP sensor that'll stand up to obsolescence for a long time, or 7000 if you want two control wheels. Or maybe the 7000 replacement that is rumored to be announced soon... that'll probably have the sensor from the 5200 and the control layout from the 7000, which would be a compelling product.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #6 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

fredjlord wrote:
Thank you all. Your answers are very informative and great food for thought. The D200 is still running along okay so the move isn't going to be an immediate one.
I appreciate the incredible depth of knowledge here and the fact that everyone is trying to help out a fellow photographer. My profile shows Canon equipment but I'm not a fan boy for any particular brand. The usage is as described, mostly illustration reference images with some other medium-duty photography. The main thing is that the new body runs and lasts as long as the D200 has with some real improvements
...Show more

The D7000 has better IQ than your D200 and the D300. The D300, in the other hand, has better build quality and button layout than the D7000. It depends upon what you value most of those. Those are your DX options.

To be honest, you sound like a good candidate for the non-existing D400. Better IQ than the D300 with the build quality of a tank (if that is what you need).

If you were thinking of going FX (and that depends on how invested you are on DX glass) then the argument is similar. Lower build quality (but not a toy, mind you) and better IQ with the D600, or a more robust, better button layout with the D700 (with half the megapixel count)..

It really depends on what is valuable to you... If IQ is most important and ruggedness and button layout is not that important, then you can get yourself a great new camera for cheap in the 5000 series..

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I'd also add that, if your intention is to keep this new camera for a long time as you did the D200, then I'd suggest avoiding those models which really represent old technology at this point in time: the D300 and D700 primarily. Both were released in 2007 (or thereabouts), so they're already six-year-old technology.

Since you're in no hurry, if the value proposition of those models sounds attractive, you may want to wait a little longer to see what happens with any newer models that might get released.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:20 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

D300 gets my vote, you can find them for $400 now... amazing.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM
MRM4
• •
p.2 #9 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

If you have a bunch of DX lenses, go with the D7000 or even the D600. Lenses will drain you even more (I know from experience). If you have lenses that will work on a FX body, get the D700. I upgraded from a D200 to a D700 and it's a huge jump. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:32 PM
vario1
• • •
p.2 #10 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I just picked up an extremely low mileage D300. For under 600.00, and what you are doing, you probably cannot beat that. Put the extra money into len's you may need.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Guari
• • •
p.2 #11 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'd also add that, if your intention is to keep this new camera for a long time as you did the D200, then I'd suggest avoiding those models which really represent old technology at this point in time: the D300 and D700 primarily. Both were released in 2007 (or thereabouts), so they're already six-year-old technology.

Since you're in no hurry, if the value proposition of those models sounds attractive, you may want to wait a little longer to see what happens with any newer models that might get released.

I also agree with this...

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:56 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

If you're going to go D300 ... why not the D300s

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:30 PM
signo
• • •
p.2 #13 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

D7000 for the budget, D600 for the camera.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:50 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.2 #14 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

If you want to keep the same build/handling/layout as the D200, then I'd go for a D300, D300s or D700.

I went from a D200 to a D300 and it was a big jump. Better high ISO (good up to 1600), AF, speed, buffer.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:07 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.2 #15 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I saw a working D300 offered for $150 here on FM the other day, of course it was sold in a matter of seconds but still that's unbelievable for such a great body that was the benchmark of DX not a long time ago...

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I don't need another body, but I'd have bought it myself without blinking if I'd seen that. My 10-year-old's first DSLR...

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.2 #17 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I went from the D200 to the D7000 and I am thrilled with the move. And for what it's worth, I much prefer the control layout of the D7000. My eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be and it is much easier to see and select the camera's various modes with the D7000 set up. While it is true the D200 feels bulkier, I think the build quality of the D7000 will satisfy anyone's requirements. And the D200 can't match the D7000's image quality.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:57 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.2 #18 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Gregstx wrote:
I went from the D200 to the D7000 and I am thrilled with the move. And for what it's worth, I much prefer the control layout of the D7000. My eyes aren't as flexible as they used to be and it is much easier to see and select the camera's various modes with the D7000 set up. While it is true the D200 feels bulkier, I think the build quality of the D7000 will satisfy anyone's requirements. And the D200 can't match the D7000's image quality.

I have to agree with build quality of the D7000, unless someone can post a pic of a broken D7000.

I have heard of and seen broken plastic mount lenses, I have heard about possible sensor failure, but, I feel the abuse to break a D7000 would break a D700.

Yea, the D700 is bigger, but, I would bet the the plastic parts for a D700 and a D7000 are both molded from the same pelletized raw material.
You can not get a better material for the metal frame of a D7000 than the identical metal Stihl molds industrial chain saws from.

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:19 PM
fredjlord

p.2 #19 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Thank you all for your considered input. It's very much appreciated and taken seriously.

Your recommendations are stirring slowly about in my thoughts. There are several ways to go in this matter. I could buy cheap and upgrade often or pay more and get to know the new camera very well. At my age, it might be better to upgrade often.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password