Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

fredjlord

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

This D200 was purchased new around 2006. It's used mostly for reference images in street rod and other automotive paintings and illustrations.

It's been a good camera but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. High ISO images are pretty noisy.

What is needed is something equally as reliable with a bit more ISO range, a larger LCD, and more resolution in megapixels.

I'd like opinions on what you might consider a good successor to this camera that is also reliable and relatively inexpensive.

It does not need to be a current model but I would like to be able to find a new or factory refurbished unit, if possible. It does not need to be an FX body.

Parameters in order of priority are:

1. High reliability

2. Relatively low sensor dust problems

3. Priced under US$2000

4. At least 12 megapixels in resolution

5. Larger rear LCD.

Thank you in advance for any practical experience or recommendations you might have.

Edited on Feb 04, 2013 at 05:48 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:46 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

D700

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

yup, perfectly fine upgrade..700 all the way

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM
RSpears

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I agree. I just bought a gently used D700, and it is an incredible camera. If you buy used on ebay (a big gamble) watch out for cameras with a high shutter count. I came close to buying one on ebay for only 1400, but only to find out that it has a shutter count of over 200,000 clicks.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:54 PM
fredjlord

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

There are three votes for the D700 so far. Thank you.

No votes for the D300S?

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:54 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

+1 to D700, or a D3 for even a better body...

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:10 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I am a D7000 user, and I wonder why a D700 is recommended over a D600, when they are the identical price used.

Would not 4 year newer technology trump slightly better body build?

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:04 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

SweetMk wrote:

Yes, it would. If image quality is the benchmark, I'd say there's no arguing that the D600 is the better camera.

I agree that there was a bit of a regression in build quality, essentially to make room for the D800. But I think the D600 is a fine camera, and while not built like a tank, you do get a nice tradeoff in weight.

There are some handling arguments to be made, where I suspect that a lot of people do not want to learn new handling, rather than there being a whole lot of superior value in the D700 (except, maybe, that AF-ON button). Just an opinion, though, and some will want the better build quality and ergonomics over the nicer sensor. Horses for courses and all

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:30 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

SweetMk wrote:
I am a D7000 user, and I wonder why a D700 is recommended over a D600, when they are the identical price used.

I have a D600 and still I recommended the D700 since the #1 on his list was "High reliability"

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

D700 - its a great reliable camera. No bells and whistles. Also if you are using strobes you can sync much higher than the spec sheet suggest. proven technology.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:55 PM
RKB58

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

New, The D600 and d7000 are good choices. For me, I am happy with the feature set that my D600 offers vs my previous D700. For "reference" images, the additional resolution vs. the D3/D700 may be of some value. The D7000 choice would offer the same DX image sensor size as your current D200, might have some lens compatibility advantages, and would be the least expensive choice of the cameras mentioned thus far while offering significant IQ improvement over a D200.

Used, the D700 and D3 are regularly sold within your budget. I would choose a D3 over a D700 for about the same money used. Others like the D700 feature set.

I still have my D300, keep it for just shooting daylight sports at a distance. Don't really see any advantage that a D300(s) would offer you vs other choices other than it has roughly the same form factor as the D200.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Since you don't mention the need for a high frame rate, lots of controls for speed of operation, weathersealing or ruggedness, or fast AF performance, I'd suggest starting at the bottom of the ladder and working your way up as you eliminate models for not doing or having something that you really want.

Is there any reason why a D5200 wouldn't fit your needs? Lots more ISO flexibility, lots of pixels, a great rear LCD... in short, lots of image quality; and for $750-$800, not expensive at all. Sure a D600 or D700 would work, but it's double the price... why spend more than you need to spend?

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

fredjlord wrote:
There are three votes for the D700 so far. Thank you.

No votes for the D300S?

No surprise really. This board has a very high percentage of FX aficionados.

The d300 is a much better camera than the d200, in many significant respects. But, given your list of parameters, there are many cameras that would probably fit the bill, IMO, from the d5100 to the d3 and many models in between. The biggest question I have is what you mean by high reliability. My 2nd question would be about your high ISO needs, since you mentioned it in the body of your post, but not in your list of requirements.

My favorite camera for lower ISO's is often a d300. But, if you don't need the pro AF, high performance/speed, certainly a d5100 or d7000 would also do very well. All 3 would be significantly cheaper than a pristine d700 or d3.

If you want what I'd consider to be the best all-around, $2k or less, camera, for speed, high ISO and features, certainly the d700 would be at the top of my list, with a d3 next and d300s being next, depending on how much you want to spend.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:07 PM
RKB58

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Fred,

Your budget will allow you to get a very nice camera. Really, all cameras mentioned thus far will improve on your D200 image quality and meet your criteria. Since you have had the D200 a good while, no doubt you are familiar with Nikon DSLR operation in general.

It is obvious that there are differing opinions here, none of us know your long term shooting needs. Probably the best bet is to try to try out some of the cameras in a local store to see which offers the best features for your needs.

If you are used to a two "wheel" camera such as the D200 and regularly manipulate the various D200 controls, A D3000 or D5000 series camera may not offer the camera operation that you are used to. The D300s & D700 controls are similar to the D200, would probably offer the shortest learning curve.

D7000 and D600 have a little different layout, but the concepts are basically the same. These offer more MP resolution than the D300/D700. ISO capability of any of these is a good bit better than the D200, I rank them as D300s, D7000, D700, then D600 as the best by a little bit.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

700. I just picked up a D3 in mint condition and 9k shutter actuations for 2,600. But you probably have no need for a D3 body.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

I wonder - Fred (OP) wants to replace a DX camera, so I'm assuming he may have an investment in DX lenses (although his profile indicates favor for another brand). If indeed he has DX lenses, then why not a used D7000? They're going for <$800. I've used two for the last two wedding seasons and have dragged them through Utah deserts, Colorado high country, and Indiana tornados with nary a glitch. Beats the heck out of the D200 I used to have. Higher rez, larger viewfinder & LCD, etc. Seems to meet all his criteria - just sayin'....
Ron

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:59 PM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Since you don't mention the need for a high frame rate, lots of controls for speed of operation, weathersealing or ruggedness, or fast AF performance, I'd suggest starting at the bottom of the ladder and working your way up as you eliminate models for not doing or having something that you really want.

Is there any reason why a D5200 wouldn't fit your needs? Lots more ISO flexibility, lots of pixels, a great rear LCD... in short, lots of image quality; and for $750-$800, not expensive at all. Sure a D600 or D700 would work, but it's double the price...
...Show more

+1

The D5200 is great, but I would consider a D5100 - refurb units are $369 body only. I can't imagine a better value today. While it certaintly doesn't have the build quality of a D700, it should be a reliable body for most users.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:43 AM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

If you want to upgrade to a full frame body, I will vote for a used D700 or a new D600. I purchased a new D700 last April...sold the following July. That was the biggest mistake I ever made. However, I now have a new-to-me (used) D700 with just under 30k shutter actuations with minor brassing. It is a workhorse.

However, if you don't need or want the "built like a tank feel" the D600 would be great for you.

If you want to stick with a DX body, I'll suggest a used D300s or a D7000. Both very capable cameras.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

edl415 wrote:
The D5200 is great, but I would consider a D5100 - refurb units are $369 body only. I can't imagine a better value today. While it certaintly doesn't have the build quality of a D700, it should be a reliable body for most users.

Agreed. Or, as someone mentioned, the D7000 if two control wheels are desirable (which for me would be important).

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:55 AM
screwdriver
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a new reliable D200 replacement, need opinions...

from the d300 its an upgrade already , what lenses do u have?

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.