Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Nels7

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Residential Real Estate Photography

My wife moved into residential real estate and rather than hire a photog has asked if I can take photos for her for brochures, web listing, MLS, etc. Have Nikon D300s, 11-17 Tokina, 17-55/2.8 Nikon, SB-600 flash and solid Gitzo tripod for gearing. Have done a few shoots, but am struggling with lighting in distant corners as one area. Most of my experience and time is spent on sports photography. Was thinking of getting bigger stronger flash to help. Any ideas, insights, would be greatly appreciated! Out of my element and need expert intervention! Thanks!

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:48 PM
BKeroack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Sorry to be a bit rough, but this is why people should hire professionals! Seriously, she should hire someone until you obtain at least a competency in this area. Until then, you should read lots of books, study lots of professionally produced brochures, and experiment on some easy shoots as you gain experience. Do some online research, and see what people are doing. Most of the skills and techniques you need for this are out there, and it is time, and more time (with some equipment) that is needed to master this. In the meantime, try having all the lights on, shoot at the proper time of day, reflect some light with white boards, etc. Even HDR can be used to some degree, as long as it is not over the top. There are some very skilled people on these boards that you can look at and learn from by practicing what you see.
If you are planning to do this for free for her as an ongoing basis, this is one reason why professional photographers are having a more difficult time these days.

Sorry, rant over...

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Nels7

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Residential Real Estate Photography

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. No problem with the rant. Since she is just starting out in the business and has virtually zero income, the expense of hiriing a professional at this time is not an option.As you state, I am NOT doing this for free. She is contracting with me for the service. I clearly understand your perspective. I'm just looking for some ideas and insights as a seasoned sports photographer as I move to do more real estate photography. I have always viewed this as a site for learning and expanding opportunities and experience in the world of photography. Even professionals had to take their first step at one point and I'm hoping that my skills will grow with experience to match the future success of my wife's new career. Thank you again for your perspective.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Man give it a rest, it's his wife. If he didn't take the shots someone in her office would. I'm in real estate and that's done quite often

Nels you might like to try some portable light (flashlights) placed behind furniture. The shadow may be cast by furniture. Bring rags to support in the right direction. A flash may not get there

Good luck & I hope she sells the listing.

Rags

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Nels7

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Rags,
Thank you for the tip on the flashlights. One of the challenges is some of the dark corners on the far ends of some rooms. I've got plenty of lights that should do the trick.

She's my wife, but she's really the BOSS!

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:43 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Residential Real Estate Photography

I agree with the flash lights. If you can swing it, you can grab an extra flash and some pocket wizards to get the light into the dark corners. Also, if you have not tried LR4, you can use that to really get the detail back that you are losing in the dark corners.

Good luck. I agree with Rags, you are right for doing this for your wife and helping her out while she tries to start up her new buisness.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tom cardin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Residential Real Estate Photography

This is exactly how I started, in Photography. Taking pictures for a throwaway newspaper. I only did exteriors, business ops and homes. I would say, study whaat the other guys are doing, but always show the front door, when picking angles. I used a speed Graphic, 4X5 and made contact prints for the realtor. Good luck.

Tom

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:28 PM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Residential Real Estate Photography

some simple things you can do with your one speed light - Make sure youíre using all lighting that is available at homes, especially high hats in kitchens etc. use the diffuser, shoot ttl-rear sync, donít shoot too wide and when shooting wide make sure your level to avoid perspective distortion. It doesnít look good in real estate photography. Mix in tighter lens (35-50mm) for fancy counter tops, sinks etc you want to show off. I do this occasionally for my wife as well and rarely need a second flash however I do move the flash off the camera for certain shots and use su-800 w ttl capable pocket wizards. Youíll do fine, donít sweat it. Most agents run around with point n shoots. Also keep in mind some services like MLS have problems w formatting portrait position.

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Nels7

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Thank you for ALL the great insight! Looking forward to this new venture!

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:57 PM
gotak
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Residential Real Estate Photography

It is also no big deal to bring extra lamps and put them where you need it as long as it looks natural. People stage houses for showing anyhow why not stage for the shot? Continuous lights would be easier for you to setup than flash. The caveat being that if you shooting during day time you would potentially get mismatched white balance and it might look a bit odd.

You can also put remote flash where existing light fixtures are. But you might need to use manual flash settings.

Don't worry too much most MLS postings have crap photos anyhow. My agent ended up using mine because his photos just didn't look that good.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:04 AM
jdpage
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Residential Real Estate Photography

If you really want to learn more - I'd suggest looking over at http://www.photographyforrealestate.net

I shoot almost two dozen houses a week and do the majority of them bouncing a speedlight on camera. Overexpose the windows by a stop and half, let the flash fill where it can, then utilize lightroom to do some final tweaks (like brightening corners if the home has low ceilings and large rooms.)

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:26 AM
went
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Residential Real Estate Photography

Brian just go for it use your wide angle lens, turn all the lights on for each room you shoot, take 4 photos of each room, one from every corner, all with fill in flash, slow shutter sync, mono pod if you must, plus feature photo of major selling points especially kitchens, fire places entry & stair, double garage, etc, do the same for out side 4 elevations & attractive perspectives, tidy up photos in your preferred photo finishing program, correcting colour balance and perspective distortion, I generally take aprox 50 photos per house shoot, shoot raw or high res jpeg if you must at iso 200 or less, depending on season & time of day, F8 aperture with 10~20 mm lens shooting on infinity should be good, about 30 minutes per house & your done. Architecture & Property is my business, photography my passion, & for 30 years have done houses, house alterations, bars & restaurants, retail shops & office fit outs, including fortnightly construction site photos
Regards
Went

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:31 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password