Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Repair cost/NPS question

ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Repair cost/NPS question

Hey all, pretty new to Nikon. I have an older 17-35 2.8 that I noticed last weekend is soft at infinity. It didnt used to be, something must have come loose. So I just went to submit it for repair online and the estimate was $420!? Canon repairs for such things we half of that! Is that because I'm not an NPS member, or are Nikon's repair costs just out of hand? Thanks,

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:54 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Repair cost/NPS question

It is only an estimate, better known as a "WAG". Odds are good that final repair costs will be much less.

As far as I know, there is no discount for NPS members. NPS only provides for expedited service.

There are other places you can send the lens for repairs. APS and KEH are just two of many.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:33 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Repair cost/NPS question

Cool, thanks!

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:48 PM
henryp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Repair cost/NPS question

mike-in-ak wrote:
As far as I know, there is no discount for NPS members. NPS only provides for expedited service.

When I was an NPS member there was no discount. In order to get the speedy turnaround they promised you'd send your camera or lens in with credit card info and it came back repaired with no estimate. You found out how much when the repaired item was sent back to you.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Repair cost/NPS question

Try Authorized Photo Service in Chicago, with a BBB rating of A+
http://nikoncamerarepair.com/

Compared to Nikon's rating...
http://www.la.bbb.org/business-reviews/Commercial-Products-Manufacturer/Nikon-Inc-in-El-Segundo-CA-25750

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jjf88
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Repair cost/NPS question

Chris..Their estimates are usually right on.. The few times I have had to pay for repair, their estimate was the number charged. I have had one repair go up as once they got inside the lens they had to re-adjust the estimate. Best to give them a call if your not sure you want to spend the money. This are just my experiences, others may have had different experiences.

APS in Chicago is a good option as is Midstate Camera in I think Rhode Island.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:48 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Repair cost/NPS question

Thanks for the info guys.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:01 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Repair cost/NPS question

For what it's worth. I have a copy of the same lens into Authorized Photo Service for 2 separate issues. Sluggish aperture blade actuation and intermittent AF operation.

Got the estimate this morning. $585.

There goes the money for an AF-D 20mm /2.8 I was looking at.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:23 PM
derek.fulmer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Repair cost/NPS question

I dropped my D700 off at APS today. Seems like a great little place. I'm real lucky to have them close by. I'd send it there instead of Nikon because they can do most repairs in 3-5 days with free rush service if you need it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:51 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password