Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · loose lens

glenn1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · loose lens

I have a 300mm f2.8 afs 11 lens when mounted on my cameras ,D4&D3 there's quite a bit of play with it.tried a friends same model lens on my D4 and it was really tight to attach,infact i didn't turn it all the way home in case i couldn't get it off.Would this looseness affect the focusing as i feel that sometimes the images are not as sharp as they should be,i was thinking of getting a new lens mount fitted if still available,would this solve the focus problem.Any feedback welcome. Graham

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:17 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · loose lens

when you mean loose - do you mean side to side play? as in the lens twists a bit, or does it actually rock forwards and backwards slightly in the mount?

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:35 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · loose lens

I never had a loose lens. It sounds like somehow your damaging the mounts of your cameras.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:55 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · loose lens

If it twists (rotation), that's okay. Some play is necessary to ensure the lens locks in position. If it moves to the extent that a gap appears at any point on the mated surfaces, that is a problem.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:56 PM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · loose lens

Thanks for getting back to me guys,it twists (rotation) a little.it's just that i tried my
mates lens and it was so tight compaired to mine with no play at all.just thought maybe i should get it checked out as it hasn't been serviced for quite some time now.

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:06 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · loose lens

With a lens that long and a large aperture, your DOF can be so small as to be almost invisible. At 20 feet DOF is only about 3 inches on full frame. It;s even less on crop cameras.

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · loose lens

there actually is some play with the F mount, and it shows up easier with longer lenses.

You're describing something that won't fit- so don't force it. Is one of the screws on the lense at the mounting bayonet loose by chance?

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:48 PM
RoyC
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · loose lens

It has been my experience that the difference in snugness between Nikon lenses is due to the O-ring at the lens mount. Look at the two and see if your friends lens has an o-ring that extends out a little more than yours. You may have some wear on the ring is all.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · loose lens

Thanks for replying All .

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:50 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · loose lens

I think you're probably ok..... I had a bit of a twist years ago with an older 80-200 AFS lens, and it didn't affect image quality at all..

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:16 PM
glenn1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · loose lens

lxdesign, my 80-200 afs is also a little loose,matbe it is the o ring.will get it checked out,
Thanks for your time.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password