New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gym photoshoot questions

speakit101
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gym photoshoot questions

Got a photshoot planned for this upcoming weekend I'm shooting with my 1d Mk IIN and will be utilizing a canon 50mm 1.8 and my 28-135mm along with my 580ex flash. Any recommendations on any other light set up or will I be good with what I have. The lighting isn't the greatest. Any help will do..

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:14 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gym photoshoot questions

Check to make sure you are allowed to use a flash. Are you going to be able to wander the sidelines? Which sport or is this just portraits?

Be prepared to push the ISO to 1600 and pick your picture style to match the lighting type you encounter.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:13 AM
speakit101
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gym photoshoot questions

It's not like in an auditorium it's mainly in the weightroom so it will pretty much be still shots. She's a personal trainer and want them for her website.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gym photoshoot questions

Can you go there before the shoot and run a series of test shots to get a feel for what your tools will and won't do for you in that environment (i.e. ceiling height/wall color/etc.)?

Much will depend on the kinda of "vibe" you are trying to project as to how your balance your flash / ambient. One problem with interiors is the falloff from a single flash, particularly if it is on camera. If you can get your flash off camera, or bounce (wall,ceiling/reflector), you can offset some of that fall off look, or you can use it for dramatic rendering. Of course, if the walls are dark,ceilings are high and far away, it'll "eat" your light as well.

Does she want a "crisp & clean" look, or does she want a "we get down to business" look? Make some test shots with both direct flash vs. bounce/reflected and you'll see the range of what you can do with your single flash. Also, it will give you an idea how much you can vary your shutter/aperture combinations to get some balance or weighting to the different areas in the room relative to the available ambient.

If you are working on mostly portraiture (people/equipment), you could easily bring along a reflector (foamcore, etc.) to bounce your flash into. You should have plenty of light for close distances ... it'll mostly be an issue of "falloff" management and choices @ hard/soft lighting. Also, note that gym equipment may have plenty of chrome for specular reflections that can fool metering a bit or be otherwise distracting.

Test shots (subject not necessary) highly recommended before the shoot to study what you've got to work with ... if you're not already comfortable with doing it "on the fly".

GL

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:28 AM
speakit101
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gym photoshoot questions

Wobble/Rust thanks for your tips and pointers. I will take that into consideration and go out and do a test shot etc. I will get back and let you know what I come up with. Once again thanks a million.

Speakit!

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.