Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Gitzo updated their line of tripod legs last year. So what has improved with the GT3542LS over the phased out GT3541LS that justified the sharp price jump?

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Pieria

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

What they changed is the locking mechanism on all new tripods they added an extra safety lock so even if the screw that tightens the plate to the tripod gets loose there is no way that the gear can fall out unless you push with you're finger the extra safety lock to get the plate detached from the tripod.i think thatI they did a load capacity increase and the overall construction is better. I picked up a a 5542 ls myself from b&h and I love that thing. (Supporting d4 400 2.8).

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

The whole top on the tripod is redesigned and new (it's larger). If top casting is left open by accident there is a second safety button also, so your equipment don't drop down. I have only tried the new in the shop. But I own the GT3541LS and the GT5541LS tripods. The changes are rather big compared to the changes Gitzo did in the upgrades before this one. If I remember right it also have built in spiked feet under the rubber feet. (not really sure I remember right here)

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:37 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
If I remember right it also have built in spiked feet under the rubber feet. (not really sure I remember right here)

You're correct Lars. The announcement from Gitzo. Go to the bottom of the page and there's a picture with a description: "Built-in one-piece spiked feet provide a secure footing and fast set-up on all surfaces. The spikes have a resistant anti-scratch finish that protects delicate floors, but protective rubber caps are fitted for everyday usage."

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

quite the contradiction that I had mentioned awhile back: "spikes that have a anti-scratch finish that protects delicat floors". Teflon coated spikes that don't dig in?

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:41 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The whole top on the tripod is redesigned and new (it's larger). If top casting is left open by accident there is a second safety button also, so your equipment don't drop down. I have only tried the new in the shop. But I own the GT3541LS and the GT5541LS tripods. The changes are rather big compared to the changes Gitzo did in the upgrades before this one. If I remember right it also have built in spiked feet under the rubber feet. (not really sure I remember right here)

Lars,

Do you use the OEM top casting on your 3541LS, or did you swap it out for the replacement from Markins? I never use a center column on mine, and am considering just getting the Markins TH-300. I wonder if there would be any performance edge of the 3542LS over the 3541LS with Markins replacement hub. As it stands I rarely move the tripod around with the camera/lens attached, but it would be convenient to do so at times not having to worry about an expensive spill.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

uscmatt99 wrote:
Lars,

Do you use the OEM top casting on your 3541LS, or did you swap it out for the replacement from Markins? I never use a center column on mine, and am considering just getting the Markins TH-300. I wonder if there would be any performance edge of the 3542LS over the 3541LS with Markins replacement hub. As it stands I rarely move the tripod around with the camera/lens attached, but it would be convenient to do so at times not having to worry about an expensive spill.

I always use the OEM top casting on my Systematic tripods. I don't like to have a center column on those tripods.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:13 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

sjms wrote:
quite the contradiction that I had mentioned awhile back: "spikes that have a anti-scratch finish that protects delicat floors". Teflon coated spikes that don't dig in?

They dig in just fine on my GT3532LS, I can't see there being any difference in the spikes between the two. That said, I have replaced mine with longer spikes as the ones included are a little short for my purposes...

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:14 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Given your gear lineup would you buy the GT3542LS as a spare tripod legs for a 600 II?

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

neilvan wrote:
They dig in just fine on my GT3532LS, I can't see there being any difference in the spikes between the two. That said, I have replaced mine with longer spikes as the ones included are a little short for my purposes...

you are missing the contradiction in their statement. I use the gitzo spikes and feet with my RRS tripods

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

dolina wrote:
Given your gear lineup would you buy the GT3542LS as a spare tripod legs for a 600 II?

What other tripod do you have

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:58 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

sjms wrote:
you are missing the contradiction in their statement. I use the gitzo spikes and feet with my RRS tripods

You are right, I missed that...I thought something sounded strange. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:10 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What other tripod do you have

Same as you GT3541LS and the GT5541LS. I intend to leave one on another island.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:13 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

When you already have a series 3 and series 5 you don't really need one more But I would buy this one if getting one more Systematic tripod. I tried it in the FotoFile shop here in Bangkok last month.
GT4552TS
It's a new series 4 systematic tripod with 5 leg sections. It's compact and can be in the carry on luggage. Still very strong and stable even for a 600 lens.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:47 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's new with the GT3542LS?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
When you already have a series 3 and series 5 you don't really need one more But I would buy this one if getting one more Systematic tripod. I tried it in the FotoFile shop here in Bangkok last month.
GT4552TS
It's a new series 4 systematic tripod with 5 leg sections. It's compact and can be in the carry on luggage. Still very strong and stable even for a 600 lens.

I spend half my time on Luzon and half my time in Visayas so having to leave the support frees me from carrying it around.

With the weight reduction of the 600 IS II being comparable to the old 500 IS would you buy the 4 Series over the 3?

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.