Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Active D Lighting

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Active D Lighting

Can some one please confirm if active D lighting is recognized in ACR or Lightroom on raw images. I have read that if you are using any raw converter other than Nikon , then you should turn off active D lighting as other programs do not read or recognize it.

I am questioning for images shot in raw , not jpegs.

Thanks
Birdie

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:45 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Active D Lighting

As far as I know, you are correct. Only Nikons software to my knowledge recognizes it.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #3 · Active D Lighting

I've heard that Active D lighting actually affects the raw data, and therefore will have an effect regardless of what raw converter is used. I don't have personal knowledge to back this up however…

C

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:32 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Active D Lighting

Active D lighting appears to shift to exposure to the left and then readjust the histogram, increasing the dynamic range at low ISO's, the trade off because of this shift is it can lead to noise in the shadows at higher ISO's. So I would just save this feature for ISO 100-400.
Nikon software also recognizes the rest of your camera settings, Adobe is unable to so you have click the chromatic aberration button etc, this is why I prefer Nikon NX2 to other raw converters.

Tim

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · Active D Lighting

All I know is that I have been actively delighted with the DR of these new Nikon sensors since i switched from Canon in November.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:12 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Active D Lighting

Thanks everyone for your replies !!!

Am going to try with the lower iso and see how that goes.

Birdie

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:54 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #7 · Active D Lighting

My $0.02 is if you shoot RAW and don't use Capture/ViewNX2 you should disable active D lighting because you can end up with underexposed NEF images.

When ADL is enabled it impacts the camera metering based on the ambient lighting conditions, use of flash, and ADL strength setting. You can demonstrate this to yourself by throwing the camera on a tripod pointing to a particular scene, disabling auto ISO (only so the results of this experiment don't get muddied), put the camera in aperture priority mode and select an appropriate aperture, and disable ADL. Note the shutter speed. Turn on ADL to extra high changing nothing else. You will see the shutter speed get faster for less exposure.

Note the Nikon manual does refer to ADL as "reducing exposure" and this confirms it. It does this to protect highlights. The range of underexposure can range from nothing to about 1 full stop depending on the situation.

When the JPG is created in camera (or when you use NX2), it applies a tone curve that brings up back up shadows more than it does the highlights based on the ADL strength setting which is stored in the exif in a maker note field.

The issue is that Lightroom, Aperture, ACR, etc. don't know about ADL and will ignore the metadata tag in the NEF. So you can end up with underexposed images.

So rather than deal with that risk, it is advisable to disable ADL entirely if you don't use NX2. As I said, that's just my $0.02.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:17 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #8 · Active D Lighting

According to a recent article on Nikon website ADL is more efective by setting it in camera than it is by activating it later in NX2 during PP.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password