Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Speaking of the micro adjust software:

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/versions/focal-pro/

I have been doing MA since 2008 and have figured out some reliable methods. I use it on my 1ds-mk3 and 50D. I am getting a 5DmkIII and will need to do it again. I am intrigued by many of the hassles that Focal eliminates, like target alignment and also the automated way it aquires MA.

I find that after I do indoor adjustments at close range, I do them over outdoors at longer range and almost always need to change it to avoid front focus. Sharp infinity is a priority for me in landscape work.

But FoCal also allows you to use your own images so this would not be an issue. Being a gear head, I think I would like the pro version with all the reports.

Looking for first hand experience.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:27 PM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I used the pro version mainly because I needed to boost my iso for 400 and 560mm focal lengths to obtain adequate shutter speeds. I use the recommended target distances, which meant my telephotos were calibrated outdoors. I never bothered to do detailed testing at infinity afterwards as my focus always looked very good at all my distances. Admittedly, I used MA mainly for bif where dof is shallow, but distance clearly not infinity. I would imagine if I needed perfect infinity focus, it would come into play for astro photos, and for that I use live view.

here are some other thoughts.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1184657/0?keyword=focal#11295463

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Thanks for he link, I read them all. I have the light issue under control as well as vibration. My lenses are f2.8 L lenses so I don't expect a big problem there either.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:14 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I got the pro version last year and don't regret it one bit. The extra options available make it much more than just an AFMA tool. Heck, the dust analysis thing seemed like a gimmick to me until I ran it, saw that my sensor could use a cleaning and my images "suddenly" seemed cleaner. Turned out fine specks of dust had accumulated because I had forgotten all of 1 time to switch off the body while changing lenses and this was not big enough for a visual detection by the naked eye.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

yes I have it and yes I like it.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:07 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #6 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Yeah also have the pro version..it's great! It would sure be great to get the fully automatic tuning back that was provided with the older bodies like MKIV pre 1Dx and 5DMKIII

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:20 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1184657

There was a poll in the Canon forum about a week ago. I have it and think it's rather good.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Garrick L
• •
p.1 #8 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Is the Mac version still in Beta or have they released it yet. Anyone using the Mac version?

Thanks,

-G

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

basically all versions are in reality in beta.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Thanks all for feedback. I will get the pro version when the new camera arrives.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I have the pro version and think it's great. Needs a lot of time to get it right. What is everyone using to light the target sheet?

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I like it

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Dustoff06
• •
p.1 #13 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Great product; works.

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Dave Good
• • •
p.1 #14 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Yes, very pleased, money well spent IMHO.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:59 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I just finished doing photos of family this weekend with the 24-70 2.8 II, much of them at 2.8. They look so much better than my calibrated 50mm, that I'm not going to calibrate it.

Curiously, the 5DIII was assigning a mfa to the 24-70mm that varied with focal length even though I never set mfa to anything. The menu said mfa was zero, but clearly that was not happening. I manually set it to zero at both focal lengths (the apparent current setting), then the mfa adjustment stayed at 0. Odd

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

Ok, I got the camera and ordered the Pro version. It is downloading now. Thanks all for your help.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #17 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I bought the PRO version and not having ANY luck with my Canon 6D. I verify the focus chart, start the process, the line above stays green for about 15 shots, then it complains "needs to add focus points" and takes about 15 more shots and then finally says "poor results". I've tried this with prime lenses and with a telephoto. Nothing works. If anyone has ideas, I'd sure be thankful. The software is running on a Windows 7 laptop with all the current updates loaded.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:27 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

there are some other posts about this recently that are worth searching for.
Main things that came up for me in your scenario were poor lighting on the target and/or inadequate shutter speed.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #19 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

I have a sunroom that was brightly lit. Latest test that failed was my 40mm pancake. Program was recording settings at 1/500.... So I had good light and fast shutter. I've tried it in light that was 1/2000 and that didn't even work.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:10 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Who uses Focal and do you like it?

hmmm. I don't know.
I don't have the 6D, but that should not matter for your results. How many lenses have you tried? Did they work with focal on another camera body?
you are fairly straight on with the target, target is flat against a wall/structure, you get the green check when zoomed in live view, have sturdy tripod, floor not vibrating (ie a porch deck), attached usb cable is not jerking the body around during testing, all lenses that have IS it is turned off?
did you try one of their most recent beta builds?
do you have another camera body available to test with your current lenses?
The pro version should let you save a pdf file of your focus results vs. mfa plot. What does it look like?

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password