Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Playing with white balance for infrared

jon.oman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Playing with white balance for infrared

Just yesterday, I discovered that the white balance on my newly converted D2x had never been set for the infrared conversion. They did it with my D70, but not this time. I was wondering why I was having such a hard time post processing them! Anyway, I have set a new white balance (which may be refined later). Here are my test images from today. You will see that I have not converted them to B&W, and they retain some of the infrared look to them. You will still not see large areas of the light reddish/brown in the image, since there is no sky in these images. These images were a breeze to post process!

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:16 PM
snowface
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Playing with white balance for infrared

Interesting shots. I especially like the first. Surprised to hear of a conversion to the D2X (which I use), and you've done well with these.

I use a 720 filter on unconverted D70 and amazed at the variety of results from different post processing.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:48 AM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Playing with white balance for infrared

snowface wrote:
Interesting shots. I especially like the first. Surprised to hear of a conversion to the D2X (which I use), and you've done well with these.

I use a 720 filter on unconverted D70 and amazed at the variety of results from different post processing.

Thanks!

I converted my D2x, because after I got my D700, it sat in the closet for over two years. I had a converted D70, and decided that I wanted an infrared camera with better resolution and ergonomics. It is so much easier to use a converted camera. You can even hand hold the camera, unlike using the 720 filter. With that, you are forced to use a tripod. I also did not like the fact that I had to compose the image first, then put the 720 filter on the lens. Too cumbersome!

Anyway, after the first converted camera, I found out how much fun infrared photography can be!

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:08 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Playing with white balance for infrared

It appears that in each of those images the central portion has a blue cast that the edges don't ... was that intentional ?

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:42 AM
jon.oman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Playing with white balance for infrared

greggn wrote:
It appears that in each of those images the central portion has a blue cast that the edges don't ... was that intentional ?

Now that you mention it, no it is not intentional. I did not notice it......

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password