Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Portrait

Alpi07

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portrait

Hi!

I like this picture, the eyes are soft yet I would print it for my wall (yes, she is mine ).

Any suggestion if improvements can be done? I like when I post something I think is good and you show me I have a looooong way to go, it helps me improve

I feel is a little greenish...

Canon 5d II 50mm 1.4 f2 1/80 ISO800

Alpi07 2013

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:06 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portrait

I don't see green, it's a little cool, if anything. In this case, I like it a little cool.

It's interesting that the rug looks more like a wall at first read. It's almost disorienting. The intense gaze makes the photo for me. If anything, I'd dodge the eyes a little.

I like it!

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portrait

I didn't immediately realize it was on the floor, till Doug mentioned it. It does look a bit blue, and I threw some selective sharpening as well as levels adjust. I opened up the eyes a little bit (more to taste ) and tried to balance the sclera (kinda blue @ camera left) between the two eyes. Opened up the shadows just a touch.

Like Doug mentions ... the gaze makes the image. I like the comp / use of negative space ... kinda Goldilocks, imo (i.e. not to much, not too little).

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Feb 03, 2013 at 04:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:00 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portrait

Great capture.
Yes, cool/bluish.
Really like Kent's rework.
Print this one!
Scott

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Alpi07

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portrait

Thank you very much, these where great improvements!

Fixing and printing

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portrait

Some possible adjustments for your consideration.

(Note, the curves layer channel curves was created by clicking with the gray dropper to select a point in the sadow on the lower left of the image.)

P.S. Just noticed I omitted from the adjustments panels the reverse vignette. It was a selection of her feathered face with a small exposure exposure increase. And quite a poignant image, BTW.

P.P.S. BTW, I did intentionally blow-out a little of the highlights for effect.

Edited on Feb 04, 2013 at 01:34 AM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hobbiesarefun

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portrait

Love the shot. The hair is really wild. I agree with everyone else as to the texture of the floor resembling a wall. The sheen of her hair is quite elegant. It's also nice how you notice her clothing's pattern and her hairpin long after you notice her expression, positioning, and simple beauty. If I were going to PP the photo, I would start by playing with her eyes just a smidgen, a bit with curves, though then masking them to selectively play with the light ratios on her face, as well as brightening sections of her outfit just slightly, and ending with a USM run to bring out a few more details. Great job here's to hoping you'll post your final edits.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Alpi07

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portrait

Here is my final version.
I did my best to put all your advices together and I like it much more now.

The carpet is not a carpet but a cover sheet for the mattress, we where bouncing together, you can se she was having fun

Thank you for all the nice words about the picture and for your help.

Alpi07 2013

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:46 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portrait

I like it! May I play with this image? I have a different way I would do post work. I would love the original.

I think this is going to print too blown..

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Alpi07

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portrait

here you go, this is the sooc

WB was on auto this is why is so blue

Alpi07 2013

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:25 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portrait

I just PMed you.

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:30 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portrait

Nice lighting pattern on face and the slightly shaded eyes match the serious / moody expression. WB looks odd because there's no context content to explain why hit might be colder than room temp (the message cool WB shifts convey).

Crop at bottom seems a bit arbitrary, like you were so focused on face you forgot to notice how the frame on bottom is cutting the body in half. With high resolution of today's cameras I think it's better to err on the side of capturing wider than you want in the final version and crop in PP when you can focus more attention on composition and try different options.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password