Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Client value of prints increasing?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Client value of prints increasing?

Ran across this on another forum:

"What I personally am finding, because so many people are not making prints of any kind any more, the percieved value of prints, of a hard copy of a photograph, seems to be increasing. I am speaking both artistically and commercially. Anybody (and everybody) seems to whip out a smart phone or tablet anymore and say "here's my shots" - be it family baby photos to professional artists. But pull out a print - any size, and I notice people take a lot longer to look at it."

Thoughts?

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:48 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Client value of prints increasing?

D. Diggler wrote:
Ran across this on another forum:
...and I notice people take a lot longer to look at it."

Maybe because you can't swipe to the left to see the next? But honestly though, when all you have is to look at one image, you kind of look at it longer. Less is more sometimes

I can't say whether interest is increasing in physical prints, but I still sell plenty of tangible artwork, MUCH more so than digital negatives.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:14 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · Client value of prints increasing?

When people start hanging ipads and smartphones on their wall, then I'll concede that making prints is a worthless practice.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Client value of prints increasing?

swoop wrote:
When people start hanging ipads and smartphones on their wall, then I'll concede that making prints is a worthless practice.

We are what ... a couple of years from electronic, ultra thin - hang on the wall displays. I am talking for the masses here.
Thickness ... total of 1/2" or less.

Sizes of 42-46" plus.

that will be interesting.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Client value of prints increasing?

A good print has a wow factor to it no screen can give (yet) which is why I won't have an ipad portfolio. I also think this is especially true for albums.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Client value of prints increasing?

I think lots of people still make (and love) prints. I think the problem isn't that the clients have abandoned prints, it's the photographers. Many of us haven't wanted to spend the time or energy to build the value and sell them.

We've focused more on them the past few years and our print sales have almost quadrupled from 2010 to 2012. People love prints... some just don't know it yet.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:08 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Client value of prints increasing?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I think lots of people still make (and love) prints. I think the problem isn't that the clients have abandoned prints, it's the photographers. Many of us haven't wanted to spend the time or energy to build the value and sell them.

We've focused more on them the past few years and our print sales have almost quadrupled from 2010 to 2012. People love prints... some just don't know it yet.

That's key information right there.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:56 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Client value of prints increasing?

I agree with what Tony said, if you can show them drop dead gorgeous images in print, they will love it. I tend to show photo papers they won't find at any local photo lab so they can see the difference in getting them from a pro and people do love what they see. I am sure in time I will sell more of them too.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bthatton
• • •
p.1 #9 · Client value of prints increasing?

I agree - and in fact I recently raised print prices and that somehow resulted in a jump in sales. People must think that they MUST be better than a local lab or drugstore at my prices. And the thing is - they ARE better. Out of curiosity just yesterday I uploaded files to Walgreens and had them printed at a brand new local drugstore. As it turns out, they were using thermal printers like one might use for a photobooth... not a minilab. My image was printed about 2.5-3 stops too bright and was a soft, detail-less mess. I was absolutely astounded and disgusted.... but definitely thrilled.

I have also begun to offer large (12x18 and up) super premium priced giclée prints as a post-wedding offering.

I spent all of 2012 making sure I was producing and offering the best albums anyone has seen. 2013 is the year of the print and the frame.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:47 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Client value of prints increasing?

bthatton wrote:
I agree - and in fact I recently raised print prices and that somehow resulted in a jump in sales. People must think that they MUST be better than a local lab or drugstore at my prices. And the thing is - they ARE better. Out of curiosity just yesterday I uploaded files to Walgreens and had them printed at a brand new local drugstore. As it turns out, they were using thermal printers like one might use for a photobooth... not a minilab. My image was printed about 2.5-3 stops too bright and was a soft, detail-less mess. I
...Show more

"like"

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Client value of prints increasing?

bthatton wrote:
I agree - and in fact I recently raised print prices and that somehow resulted in a jump in sales. People must think that they MUST be better than a local lab or drugstore at my prices. And the thing is - they ARE better. Out of curiosity just yesterday I uploaded files to Walgreens and had them printed at a brand new local drugstore. As it turns out, they were using thermal printers like one might use for a photobooth... not a minilab. My image was printed about 2.5-3 stops too bright and was a soft, detail-less mess. I
...Show more

another like ^^^^^

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Client value of prints increasing?

Prints are great. There's something special when one can hold and feel the texture of a premium print or album.

Alot of photographers do not know how to market these things thanks to digitization. Yay for me.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:43 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Client value of prints increasing?

Ziffl3 wrote:
We are what ... a couple of years from electronic, ultra thin - hang on the wall displays. I am talking for the masses here.
Thickness ... total of 1/2" or less.

Sizes of 42-46" plus.

that will be interesting.

I don't think it's going to happen any time soon because the display manufacturers are not going in that direction. It certainly ought to be possible, but the manufacturers--like everyone else--is presuming there is no market for big pictures on the wall.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:40 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Client value of prints increasing?

I've found quite a bit of success with Point of Purchase sales. I'll pick out the best image for a big wall print, send it to Circle Graphics to do a big canvas, and just take it to the sales session.

I'll tell them it was an image I loved and made for my own display--I just brought it to show it to them. Most of the time, they will want to buy it outright once they see it--remember that most people cannot visualize the impact of the images when printed large. Until they actually see it, they can't really image what it will look like. If they don't, I still have it for my own display purposes because it's the image I chose.

After I've used it for a year, I'll offer it again to the client at a lower "used" price. Circle Graphics is inexpensive enough that worthwhile profit will still be there.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Client value of prints increasing?

RDKirk wrote:
It certainly ought to be possible, but the manufacturers--like everyone else--is presuming there is no market for big pictures on the wall.

And then there's the issue of are you going to buy ten of these 42" displays to hang all throughout the house vs. ten framed prints hanging around.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password