Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

dougfatheruk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

Hi folks,

I have a 7 x 5 Hi-Lite, the baby of the range, and i seem to be having trouble getting a pretty flawless hi-key.

The issue i have is that if i use the defacto 1 stop higher than the key light, i always lose edge detail where the background spills on to the subject.

It doesn't take a lot to blow out the hi-lite and setting the key and the hi-lite the same yields good BG detail with no spill, and a pretty much grey vinyl train.

Does anybody have any tips on how i can reach some middle ground, i'm happy to add some slave speedlites in if i need to, i just want to try and get a clean shot SOC without any post.

Am i asking too much?

Thanks in advance
Doug

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:02 PM
bigfredtn
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

Have you looked at the Lastolite page? Found these on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw7ZcQ9bAVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYDkRTCCMQ

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

dougfatheruk wrote:
...The issue i have is that if i use the defacto 1 stop higher than the key light, i always lose edge detail where the background spills on to the subject.

Moving the subject as far from the Hi-Lite as possible can help, as can using a small aperture to avoid any lens softness.

But in the end you may need to turn down the BG brightness a bit and then add light to the train.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:37 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

Thanks guys, any suggestions where to light the train without over exposing the foreground.

I have watched the YouTube videos and the event one is excellent, I think I need to experiment more but it's pretty evident that to a point the hi-lite is designed to spill to contribute to the train. This is more of an issue with the 7x5 where space is a real premium IMHO.

Doug

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lastolite Hi-Lite & Vinyl Train

dougfatheruk wrote:
...any suggestions where to light the train without over exposing the foreground.

I'd place the lights to the sides well out of frame on tall stands pointing down at the train, and even with or behind the subject line. Then experiment with angling the lights more toward or away from the camera to get the right balance.

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password