Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · More color balance considerations

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · More color balance considerations

Another older image, this time from Bermuda. I find the image lacking in several respects and if others can find a more effective crop, go ahead.

BTW, I even played with BW conversion on this one not so much to obviate the color balance issues as to play with the shadows and rooflines. Couldnt come up with anything acceptable.

In addition, the issue of color balance, shadow temp, "accuracy" vs best esthetic all arise here.
What are your thoughts, corrections?
If anyone wants the SOOC let me know.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2013

Canon EOS 20D    100.0 mm lens    100mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:45 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · More color balance considerations

In terms of color it appears as I would expect to see it at the time of day revealed by the clues in the shadows.

In terms of message / delivery / composition I find interest in shapes of the roof and cover on the chimney my eye is pulled to by the contrasting tone/color of the chimney. Because the top blends into the surrounding water the pattern and similarity that of the roof is not noticed immediately creating a nice "Ah ha.... that's what he saw here that caught his eye!" climax at the end of the eye path.

It would be ideal if my eye stopped there but the strong contrast of the sky and it's close proximity to the top of the chimney pulls me up and out of the "story" to less interesting space. A possible solution but not one that would look normal given the other warm clues is to make the color / tone of the sky and water the similar so the chimney contrasts with both and the viewer's eye stops there instead of wandering up.

Faced with similar situation next time look for a higher vantage point. The more the camera would shoot down the more parallax would move the horizon up. A few more floors higher and you might have been able to surround the chimney with the ocean and just eliminate the sky. Did this quick / sloppy with contrast aware scale of water on right to illustrate....

I'm invested the edit but don't find the lack of sky impact the overall impression since the clues to warmth are in the foreground. If anything it makes me go back for another look at the interesting interplay of shapes and cool tone roof in warm light. Cooler shadows / warmer highlights.

I'd the type of color theme content where I often extend the theme a the mat and rule sampled from the photo:

I sampled the rule from the chimney, the mat from the roof then desaturated and darkened. A dark mat helps pull the viewer into the photo and keep them focused there. I find white mats like you used, while conventional and traditional, less effective perceptually for creating that out > in and stay there dynamic,

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:44 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · More color balance considerations

Crop, add blue to go salmon, retouch to simplify, bump mid-tone contrast, sharpen...?

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · More color balance considerations

Nice Lines ... will have to check in a bit later with some time to play @ colors, maybe sooc in the meantime. I can already see about 3 different variants in my head.

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · More color balance considerations

Taking another path....

Bob

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · More color balance considerations

A few thoughts ... lots of ways to 'mix & match' as well.

Imo, Caribbean vibe is about expression not technical accuracy @ correct ... hard to go wrong no matter how you decide to go, as long as it is your vibe that you're trying to express.

As always, S&P to taste.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:20 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · More color balance considerations

I love seeing all these variations, including BW's.
Since the actual scene is dominated by softer pastels I view Kent's second image as closest to my original intent.
Its clear that there is lots of play in this subject. Anyone else want to jump in? Go ahead.
Scott

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · More color balance considerations

Gosh I couldn't resist Scott, love the color palette to work with here. Can't beat the nice cool tones on that water to blend and blur together to strengthen the texture of the roof and highlight the warmth in the chimney

I found the branches to the right distracting, wanted to built up the lead to the chimney a bit more. Not sure I like the color added by the small triangle of red by the chimney so I altered that. I liked what the sky brought to tie into the color on the chimney but the sky was a bit too overpowering for me, did a gradient play on it then took the sky and water and ran a Gaussian blur to it to strengthen the textures in the roof, also darkened the shadow line on the roof for more contrast.

Well, thanks for letting me play, here is where I am with your image

Karl

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password