Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

Anyone else using the D800e along with a DSTE grip?
I am finding that Live View does not work with this grip. Found out by accident yesterday. I don't use the grip when I do landscape so it is not a show stopper for me.

-Quang

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

Live View works fine on my d800 with the DSTE grip. Just for clarity, I don't have the E version of the d800. I currently use the DSTE with their el18 clone battery and I have a normal battery in the body. The body is set to use the grip battery first. I have not yet tried the grip with a regular el15 battery or AA's.

I would think that your d800e should also work just fine with LV and the DSTE grip, but I can't think of anything that you should check.

Kerry

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:55 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

Kerry,
Thanks for that info. Can you please do me a favor and take the el15 out of the camera and just use the grip battery? Does it still work.
I've tried it with the 35mm/f2, 24mm/f2.8d, and the 16mm/f2.8D fisheye.

Thanks,
-Quang

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

No, it doesn't work without a battery also in the camera. When I first hit LV, the picture appears on the screen for a second, then it's gone, leaving the shutter locked open, which results in the Err error message blinking on the top LCD. You have to release the shutter to clear the error.

This was with 2 AF-D screwdriver lenses, but I assume that the same would happen with AF-S lenses.

Did you try putting a battery in the body with the grip? Are you also using the big el18 d4 clone battery in the grip?

Kerry

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:14 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

Thanks Kerry. I'm experiencing the same issue. Works fine with the EL15 battery in the camera along with the EL18 in the grip. With the EL18 in the grip alone, Live View does not work.

-Quang

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Live View does not work with DSTE grip

You're welcome, Quang.

That's very peculiar behavior, at least mine is. It's hard to imagine why the battery in the body would matter or why the scene would show up on the LCD and then quit, especially without releasing the shutter.

About the only thing I can think of is that the camera is constantly checking for battery level and condition during LV. The DSTE battery doesn't talk to the camera like the Nikon battery does and only shows the battery level. I have no idea how accurate the level would be, but I'd guess that it wouldn't be as accurate as the Nikon battery.

Regardless, this is good to find this out now, rather than when trying to do a shoot and have things go wonky.

Kerry

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:37 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password