Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

There is a bit of junk behind one of my D800 focusing screen. Can the focusing screen be removed/released for me to blow it out? Searched the web and could not find an answer. Really would not want to send the camera to Nikon for this.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:02 PM
JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

Yes, easily. However, please have s proper tool for lifting the tension wire holding the screen.
You could purchase one from KatzEye.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

They are easily scratched. Be careful. You will know it when they are scratched because they look like dust bunnies through the viewfinder that never go away. I'd make sure replacements are available.

Release it, let it fall down and puff with a Rocket Blower behind it. Then lock it back up. May or may not work because the plastic has a pretty strong static attraction to dust. Don't take out if you don't have to.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #4 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

So I had a KatzEye tool for my D700 and it worked in releasing the wire. Blow it out but the spot still remains. Took out the screen and the spot is not on the screen and it's not on the mirror above either. Could it be behind the upper mirror?

Looks like I may have to send it in after all.

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:00 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

Are you sure it isn't on the inside of the eyepiece?

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

m1mgd00
• •
p.1 #6 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

Mykal wrote:
So I had a KatzEye tool for my D700 and it worked in releasing the wire. Blow it out but the spot still remains. Took out the screen and the spot is not on the screen and it's not on the mirror above either. Could it be behind the upper mirror?

Looks like I may have to send it in after all.

Seriously? For a little dust in the eyepiece? If it's not on the sensor or the lens, it doesn't affect the image, so my suggestion would be to learn to live with it. I certainly wouldn't advise disassembling a camera for a little dust in the viewfinder, nor have I myself over the years. You're more likely to end up with more stuff inside (even if done by Nikon service).

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:43 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

I second James R, take out the eyepiece and blow that area clean. Then redo the focus screen. What always happened to me, as I was saying above, is the dust you blew off would zap back onto the screen because of the static charge when you were putting it back in...

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #8 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

I am thinking of selling this camera so want to make sure everything is ok.

m1mgd00 wrote:
Seriously? For a little dust in the eyepiece? If it's not on the sensor or the lens, it doesn't affect the image, so my suggestion would be to learn to live with it. I certainly wouldn't advise disassembling a camera for a little dust in the viewfinder, nor have I myself over the years. You're more likely to end up with more stuff inside (even if done by Nikon service).

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #9 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

It's not behind the eyepiece. I checked that first.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:16 PM
m1mgd00
• •
p.1 #10 · Removing D800 Focus Screen?

Understood, but you may end up spending more to clean the bit of dirt than you would lose by discounting the price a little bit to reflect its (cosmetic) condition. If you think Nikon will clean this without charge, then you'll only be out shipping, but I'm not sure whether the warranty would cover this service. At this point, you may as well call Nikon and ask them.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password