Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

BobnJake
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

I just ordered this lens today, will be using it on my 1Dx. I have the Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 filters on most of my lenses, is this a good choice for this lens?

Thanks, Bob

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

bag 'o worms...

The only time I'd put a filter on a macro lens, is if I was imaging something that could make a mess of the front element. Same for all of my other lenses. YMMV.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:22 PM
macrobild
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

go for the good new protection filter with new coatings if you want to protect the lens
you don't need any UV filter etc

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:37 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #4 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

bag o' worms alright. I don't use filters. This lens has a very deep hood...that alone should protect the lens front element from touching the stuff you photograph.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:46 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #5 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

I do use a protective filter on my lenses. Some don't. If you do add a filter, make sure you get a premium, multi-coated one. I prefer B+W MRC digital pro filters. The Hoya Super MRC pro is also good. I like the brass ring (painted black) on the B+W filters. I always use the hood and that provides a good bit of protection also. Great lens, I love mine.

Jim

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Danny Michael

p.1 #6 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

It has a VERY deep hood. No filters on any of my lenses. Saved enough on UV filters to buy a Lee foundation kit.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

Of course, when you're near 1:1 and using flash (on or off-camera), it might be appropriate to take the hood off. Just sayin'...

I still wouldn't use a filter.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:56 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #8 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

Thanks everyone. I must admit, I'm rethinking whether I should use a filter
Thanks again. Bob

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:43 AM
dodgyexposure

p.1 #9 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

I don't use filters on my 100L. I usually have a ringflash on the lens when shooting macro, and that gives more separation from subject.

That being said, I was shooting fungi after rain last weekend, and discovered that all of my shots had the same small brown spots on them in the same places, which magically disappeared after I cleaned the front element. Hmmm, mud splashes . . . perhaps that "protective" filter may get some use after all when I am next out in the wet . . .

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:31 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #10 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

Yep, the hood works at 'normal' distances, but can get in the way for macro (can scare away critters, cast shade on your subject and block light from your flash)

If you choose to use a UV filter, use a good-quality coated filter to minimise reflections/flare.

The thread size is generous, so no need for 'ultra thin' filters to prevent vignetting

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:40 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #11 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

Tx again everyone. A lot of reasons why I shouldn't need one but all it takes is one "whoops", so I just ordered the Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 filter
Thanks. Bob

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:20 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #12 · Filter for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

I have a B+W UV filter for the sole reason of having something to stop a direct bump of the lens with some of my macro subjects at times when using it with extension tubes

Proved to be a very wise choice when I saw the filter with pollen and some spores.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:18 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password