Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

dgleason
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

I'm working on my photo booth setup and I'm trying to trigger my camera (5dmrkii/abr800 with cybersyncs. I'm also trying to shoot tethered because I'm going to do on site printing. I'm using the eos utility to run the tethered capture and breeze systems hotfolder prints for the automatic printing.

My problem is that when I trigger the camera/light via cybersync's they don't sync up at all. because it tethered? When I unplug the shutter cable/cybersync and trigger the camera via the eos utility it works fine.

Any ideas to why this is happening or a better way to trigger the camera wirelessly?

I'm aiming to have my attendant be able to just stand near the camera and fire it without having to touch the camera or sit at the laptop. And to still be tethered to achieve the onsite printing.

Thanks a ton!
Dustin

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:53 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #2 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

Sheesh! So yeah, skipped the cybersync for the ring flash and just used pc syc from camera to flash..problem solved.

Soon as I asked it dawned on me

Any other tips on this kind of setup would still be useful though!

Thanks again!
Dustin

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:30 AM
abadass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

interesting... I've had no problems using triggers while using EosUtility. I've used my Cactus V5 triggers. I've even triggered strobes while the camera is connected to DSLR remote pro.

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:06 AM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #4 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

Why are you going EOS Capture to Breeeze, why not just use Breeze?
Oh wait, never mind I see you aren't doing a photo booth you are doing a crazy box or something similar but adding onsite printing. Interesting idea.
So the assistant takes a picture of a group and then lets them choose the best and prints off a couple copies of it? Do you charge per print?

Or is it more like a photo booth setup where you take a picture and automatically print it?
What kind of printer are you using?

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:44 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #5 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

abadass wrote:
interesting... I've had no problems using triggers while using EosUtility. I've used my Cactus V5 triggers. I've even triggered strobes while the camera is connected to DSLR remote pro.

Yeah I still can't figure out why that was happening. I downloaded the trial version of remote pro to see if that would make a difference, but had the same results.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:54 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #6 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

That Photog wrote:
Why are you going EOS Capture to Breeeze, why not just use Breeze?
Oh wait, never mind I see you aren't doing a photo booth you are doing a crazy box or something similar but adding onsite printing. Interesting idea.
So the assistant takes a picture of a group and then lets them choose the best and prints off a couple copies of it? Do you charge per print?

Or is it more like a photo booth setup where you take a picture and automatically print it?
What kind of printer are you using?

The assistant takes 4 shots that automatically go to print. I'm using a hiti510s.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:56 PM
NYstyles
• •
p.1 #7 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

Im interested in where this goes as I want to do something similar to my booth.

Right now I just use a shutter remote with my Cactus V5 triggers. I have an attendant work it, they know how to trouble shoot, get the guests in the booth, and keep the area tidy, props get messy! lol No printing or tethering yet. B&G get all the copies and I provide an online gallery.

Anyone have a ball park figure on what it costs do do prints at an event? Average pictures printed at events/weddings? I know some people hit a booth several times. Do you print a copy for all the people in the picture or just one copy per actual click? Im not looking to charge for prints at the event itself (particularly weddings and private events like birthday parties) and have it included in the price.

I also offer my booth just to do a booth at event and I run it. I just wont book it during peak wedding days.. I have such fun running the booth!

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

That Photog
• •
p.1 #8 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

NYstyles wrote:
Anyone have a ball park figure on what it costs do do prints at an event? Average pictures printed at events/weddings? I know some people hit a booth several times. Do you print a copy for all the people in the picture or just one copy per actual click? Im not looking to charge for prints at the event itself (particularly weddings and private events like birthday parties) and have it included in the price.

I have a booth with a DNP DS40 in it (a true booth with touch screen and breeze). From start button to print (4 pictures on a dual 2x6 strip) to print output it is 50 seconds so I can run about 60 people an hour at $0.16/4x6 to yield about $10/hour cost (excluding overhead, assistant time, equipment wear...).

I offer an upcharge for "one print for everyone" if the bride wants to add it on.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:11 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #9 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

I rent photo booth systems directly to the couple in Germany. It is a system without supervision and probably used open end.
I estimate 2.5 prints per guest, a bit more for prints with only two shots on them.

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:51 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #10 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

dgleason wrote:
Yeah I still can't figure out why that was happening. I downloaded the trial version of remote pro to see if that would make a difference, but had the same results.

OHHH just hit me. I've encountered a similar problem when the camera is in Live View (camera LCD is on). When the LCD is on while DSLR remote pro is taking a photo (or series of photos), the strobes would not fire.

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:09 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

I noticed that same problem with live view even trying to use eos utility as well

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:33 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #12 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

I tried it a few more times and it seems to me that when the camera is tethered (I'm not using live view either), it triggers a little later than the flash. It's just slightly off enough that the flash isn't affecting the exposure. I'm guessing because of the extra bit of processing the camera has to do while tethered...

Really not an problem for me now that I reverted back to just using the sync cord straight from camera into the ABR800. It would probably be an issue for someone using a different light setup where the light had to be further away from the camera.

Anyway, I'm up and running fine now.

Thanks for all the input!

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:39 PM
That Photog
• •
p.1 #13 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

Were you trying to fire the camera and the ABRs off the same cybersync transmitter(1 cybersync attached to camera, a second attached to ABR and then fire with transmitter)? If you were, you can't do that because of the delay in metering, focusing and shutter delay.
I have a set of triggers that do allow that setup (Yongnuo RF-603). You put one trigger in the hot shoe, plus plug a release cable from the trigger to the camera. Then when you hit the transmitter it sends the signal to trigger the camera and then the hot shoe tells the on camera receiver to fire the flash. It only works because they are transceivers instead of discreet transmitter/receiver pairs..
The only work around would be two sets of triggers on different channels (or hardwired like you did). One set to trigger the camera remotely, then another to fire the flashes.

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:06 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #14 · Photo booth trigger/tether question....

That Photog wrote:
Were you trying to fire the camera and the ABRs off the same cybersync transmitter(1 cybersync attached to camera, a second attached to ABR and then fire with transmitter)? If you were, you can't do that because of the delay in metering, focusing and shutter delay.
I have a set of triggers that do allow that setup (Yongnuo RF-603). You put one trigger in the hot shoe, plus plug a release cable from the trigger to the camera. Then when you hit the transmitter it sends the signal to trigger the camera and then the hot shoe tells the on
...Show more

I started off with the camera and flash each with their own trigger..didn't realize there was a delay
When that wouldn't work I got rid of the trigger for the flash and used pc-sync cord from camera to flash.

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:20 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password