Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Selling Photos

matt.garnett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling Photos

Okay so I have season credentials to shoot all of TCU's home basketball games, and this next Wednesday they're up against KU (#2 in the nation). Obviously there is a little more appeal for publications to buy photos of top 5 team like KU rather than of TCU, so I'm going out of my "comfort zone" if you will and look at possibly selling these photos to/thru an agency/publication.

Getting to the point... What/where is my best bet if I want to get these pictures sold? Is it better to contact publications directly or would it be better to have them posted somewhere and if they like they can buy? If the latter, where would I wan tot post them?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling Photos

Um, who are your credentials through? Typically, and TCU may be different, but only wires, newspapers, team photogs get credentialed. If you are credentialed as yourself, your best bet would be to set up a site like Photoshelter, email out to various publications (your local papers, papers local to the visiting schools, etc) where to find your photos, and then get the photos up on the site as quick as you can. Most likely though, you probably will not see many if any sales because most publications are going to be using their normal venues or photogs for the photos.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling Photos

Hmm.. That's what I was afraid of.
About my credentials though, I had a connection at the school and they were able to hook me up as a freelancer

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling Photos

Read your credential carefully, or read from the website your credential refers you to. There will be restrictions on your use of the photos, and it's important that you be aware of those restrictions. Taking photos is one thing, selling them is another, and that's where the restrictions come in. (Same for virtually any other use of the photos.)

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling Photos

I'm not seeing any restrictions on my pass or a URL to anything. Should I be able to find on their website somewhere?

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling Photos

I would think so, yes. If not, you should contact the sports information department for specific information. Here's an example:

The University issues credentials only to an accredited agency (the “Agency”) solely to provide access to a representative of the Agency (the “Representative”) for a legitimate working function (media or game service) in connection with this specific athletic event (the “Event”). Each credentialed media member must be working on a specific assignment for a legitimate news organization.
The credential provides the Agency and Representative with the right to photograph, film or record the Event only for the following news and editorial purposes:
Televised Media: If for televised media (including video streaming), the recordings may only be used by the Agency in connection with the Agency’s regularly scheduled television newscast and only within a seven-day period following the Event. No live or delayed footage of an Event may be shown during the Event. Each televised recording may not exceed three minutes in length.
Radio Broadcast: Audio records may only be used by the Agency in connection with the Agency’s regularly scheduled newscast and only within a seven-day period following the Event. No live or delayed audio will be broadcast during the Event.
Print Media: Pictures of the Event may only be used by the Agency in connection with the Agency’s regularly scheduled media publications and only within a two-week period following the Event.
The Agency and Representative are expressly prohibited from using any photographic and/or audio records taken or created by the Representative during the Event (the “Agency Materials”) for any news or editorial purposes not described above, or for any non-news and/or non-editorial purposes including, but not limited to, advertising, commercialization, and other sale or distribution to third parties.
The University is the exclusive owner of all copyrights, trademarks and other proprietary rights in its names, logos, uniformed designs, and in the Event and all records of the Event, subject only to the limited uses expressly permitted herein.
Each of the Agency and the Representative acknowledge that the Event may involve the risk of serious injury, death, or property damage. Each of the Agency and the Representative assumes all risk, danger, and liability incidental to the Event or arising in connection with the use of the credential. To the fullest extent permissible by law, each of the Agency and the Representative releases the University from any and all liabilities resulting from injuries or personal property loss occurring at the Event or in connection with the use of the credential and all liabilities resulting from injuries or personal property loss occurring at the Event or in connection with the use of the credential.
The Agency and Representative shall, jointly and severally, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the University against any and all claims, losses, causes of action, judgments, damages and expenses resulting from or arising out of Agency's or Representative's (a) breach of this Agreement, (b) use of the University's premises, (c) intellectual property licensing violations or copyright infringement, or (d) act, error, or omission except where such claims, losses, causes of action, judgments, damages or expenses result solely from the negligent acts or omission or willful misconduct of the University.
The credential is issued to a Representative, is non-transferable and may be revoked by the University at any time.
Representative must be at least 16 years of age.
Improper use of the credential may subject the Representative to immediate removal from the stadium/arena and revocation of future credentialing for the Agency and Representative.
By accepting the credential and attending the Event, the Representative agrees for himself/herself and for the Agency that he/she has read this Agreement, that he/she understands the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and that he/she agrees to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:19 AM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling Photos

This sounds familiar, Russ. I know I've seen this on the back of a couple of my passes that were through the UIL, but there is nothing on my TCU one. No documentation about policies on their media page either. I guess I'll have to shoot them an email.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:57 AM
John Korduner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling Photos

TCU uses CI as its clearinghouse. For the most part the credentials are boiler plate, and CI recommends enforcement tailored to each school's best interest. These are probably the terms:

NOTICE OF CREDENTIAL USE CONDITIONS
This working credential (“Credential”) is issued as a courtesy to an accredited agency (the “Agency”) for the sole purpose of providing stadium or venue access to an individual representative of the Agency (the “Representative”) who has a legitimate working function in connection with the event for which this credential is issued (the “Event”). This Credential is non-transferable and may be revoked at any time without cause. Any unauthorized use of this Credential or violation of its terms subjects the Representative to ejection from the Event stadium or venue(s), revocation of the Credential and prosecution for criminal and civil trespass and other legal action, and subjects the Agency to revocation of its access to future Events, as the [insert conference or school] or its affiliates, agents or employees (collectively, the “[insert school or conference]”) determines at its sole discretion.

This Credential (if issued for a media function) authorizes the use by the Agency, solely for news and editorial coverage of the Event, of any descriptions, accounts, photographs, films, audio or video recordings, or drawings of the Event or of any player interviews, press conferences or other stadium activities related to the Event taken, made, created or compiled by the Agency or the Representative while attending the Event (collectively, “Agency Materials”). For the avoidance of doubt, Agency Materials may not be exploited by the Agency at any time for any purpose other than news and editorial use. Any other use or attempted use by the Representative or the Agency, including any distribution of Agency Materials, including any distribution of Agency Materials to third parties for their use (whether before or after the conclusion of the Event, and whether or not for editorial purposes) and any authorization of any third party to redistribute Agency Materials is expressly prohibited, unless the Agency has obtained the advance written permission of the [insert conference or school] for such other use. As between the Agency, the Representative and the [insert conference or school], the [insert conference or school] is the exclusive owner of all copyrights, trademarks and other proprietary rights in its names, logos and uniformed designs, and in the Event and all materials (in any and all media) related thereto, except for Agency Materials created pursuant to this credential (to the extent they do not incorporate materials owned by the [insert conference or school] in accordance with the foregoing).

The Agency and Representative further agree that any Agency Materials taking the form of film, video, or digital video recordings (“Video Highlights”) may only be used in connection with a regularly scheduled television newscast aired by the Agency within a seven (7) day period following the Event, and further agree that the use of Video Highlights from the Event in such newscasts shall not exceed three (3) minutes in length. Use of Video Highlights in any other manner or on any media distribution platform without the advanced written permission of the [insert conference or school] and, [Collegiate Images, LLC, where applicable], is expressly prohibited. Any agency wishing to use film or video in any other manner must obtain written permission for such usage from [insert conference or school] or [Collegiate Images, LLC, where applicable]. Representative and Agency shall not transmit or display any video, audio, pictures, photographs or other non-text based accounts or descriptions of the Event or any text based accounts or descriptions of the Event (including without limitation, any web log, blog, online journal or other web based publication) in any media while the Event or the live network presentation of the Event is in progress, except with the advance written permission of the [insert conference or school].

The Agency and the Representative assume all risks incident to, and hereby release the [insert conference or school] from, any and all liability arising in connection with, attending the Event and creating and using Agency Materials. The Agency and the Representative agree to indemnify and hold harmless the [insert conference or school] from and against any and all liability, loss, damage or expense resulting from or arising out of the issuance of this Credential, the Representative’s presence in the stadium or venue, or any other activity of the Agency or Representative in connection with the Event, however caused, whether by negligence or otherwise (including without limitation, any claims that Agency Materials infringe the intellectual property rights, publicity rights or other rights of any third party). Acceptance of this credential constitutes agreement by the Representative and the Agency to abide by the foregoing conditions.

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.