Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

I've got an FE2 with the stock split prism focusing screen.
It seems that with my fast glass (f/2 and faster) it's hard to nail the focus.

Is there a way to check the focus accuracy of a manual film camera?

I was thinking that I could get a piece of ground glass (or a spare focusing screen), place it on the film rails and use a loupe to check the focus - then I'd check the focus in the viewfinder. They should agree with each other. If not then I'd need to adjust the focusing screen myself or send it away (a pain).

Any ideas?

Thanks -

John

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:12 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

You test it the same way as any camera, with a target and film. I haven't had the FE2 adjusted in about 13 years, but it was already 15 years old and 0.05mm off. I don't recall anything to be done with the focusing screen except use different types. Is there a local shop that services old lenses? I recall they fixed mine in one afternoon, including adjusting the exposure a bit.

EBH

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:45 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

Yeah, I don't want to burn a bunch of film - hence my idea of going back to my 4x5 roots and throw a small bit of ground glass across the film rails and then compare to the split image in the viewfinder.

I've got an inquiry in at my local shop that's not so convenient to get to.

- John

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:49 AM
mikerfns
• •
p.1 #4 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkey wrote:
I've got an FE2 with the stock split prism focusing screen.
It seems that with my fast glass (f/2 and faster) it's hard to nail the focus.
Is there a way to check the focus accuracy of a manual film camera?
<snipped>
Any ideas?
Thanks -
John

With the gear you have listed in your profile, it should be easy, via a simple comparative test.

Mount your AF-S 80-200/2.8 lens via the tripod collar to your tripod, and attach your D800. Level and plumb the rig as best as possible. Attach a piece of plain white paper with a single black vertical line to a wall. Zoom the lens to 200mm, set aperture to f/2.8, and focus the lens via autofocus or manually via live view on the line on the paper target. Once you achieve sharp focus (take a photo and check it at 100% if necessary to verify) DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING. Turn the D800 off, CAREFULLY remove it from the lens, and mount the FE2 in its place. Without touching the lens focus, check to see if the FE2 split-image rangefinder lines up on the target line.

Mike

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:22 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

mikerfns wrote:
With the gear you have listed in your profile, it should be easy, via a simple comparative test.

Mount your AF-S 80-200/2.8 lens via the tripod collar to your tripod, and attach your D800. Level and plumb the rig as best as possible. Attach a piece of plain white paper with a single black vertical line to a wall. Zoom the lens to 200mm, set aperture to f/2.8, and focus the lens via autofocus or manually via live view on the line on the paper target. Once you achieve sharp focus (take a photo and check it at 100% if necessary
...Show more

Thanks Mike - I had not thought of that. I'll give it a try, though my errors are with my f/2 and faster glass . . . .. If it's off at f/2.8 then it's certainly off at f/2 and f/1.2.

- John

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:29 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #6 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkey wrote: I've got an FE2 with the stock split prism focusing screen.

K2 or K3? If K2, I would spare few $$$ for K3 from BH or Adorama. Also, FE2 has no diapter adjustment, so you may search for diopter glass matching you eyes (sorry, I have no URLs handy) as this may affect focusing.

PS. This is one cute camera! I wish Nikon would come with a digital version D-FE2 with 36MP/LV.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 12:34 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:32 AM
mikerfns
• •
p.1 #7 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkey wrote:
.. If it's off at f/2.8 then it's certainly off at f/2 and f/1.2.

Usually.

I use this "comparative method" all the time to check older manual focus Nikons, albeit with a PN-11 tube and an AiS Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 focused to 1:1.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:33 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

JaKo wrote:
K2 or K3? If K2, I would spare few $$$ for K3 from BH or Adorama. Also, FE2 has no diapter adjustment, so you may search for diopter glass matching you eyes (sorry, I have no URLs handy) as this may affect focusing.

PS. This is one cute camera! I wish Nikon would come with a digital version D-FE2 with 36MP/LV.

Looks like its the stock K2 - what advantage does the K3 have over the K2 (K3 being for the FM3A)?

- John

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • •
p.1 #9 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

John, I have both screens and find K3 brighter/smoother than K2. Also, if you purchased FE2 used (most likely!) than the focussing screen may have accumulated dust on it. Cleaning mirror chamber and replacing focussing screen may be the best maintenance upgrade along with changing seals.

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fefmshared/html/screens.htm
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Nikon_FM_FE.pdf

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:42 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

JaKo wrote:
John, I have both screens and find K3 brighter/smoother than K2. Also, if you purchased FE2 used (most likely!) than the focussing screen may have accumulated dust on it. Cleaning mirror chamber and replacing focussing screen may be the best maintenance upgrade along with changing seals.

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfeseries/fefmshared/html/screens.htm
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Nikon_FM_FE.pdf

Thanks - the screen looks very clean. I also have a seal kit coming this week as the mirror damper is a crumbling sticky goo that's left some sticky stuff on the mirror.

Again - I'm only having issues with my really fast glass - like my 135/2 and 50/1.2.

- John

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:48 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #11 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkkey wrote: I'm only having issues with my really fast glass - like my 135/2 and 50/1.2

Focussing with fast glass? Decades old issue, right?
If you shoot WO than most likely the center frame matters. Split prism may help if the image is not too dark, but again, I feel that picking right diopter glass (if you need it, if not please find out what number came with your FE2) may be very helpful.
http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/Eyepiece_Compatibility_Chart_07012008.pdf

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 05:56 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:09 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #12 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

jhinkey wrote: Thanks - the screen looks very clean..

Nikon K3 retail kit (dirt cheap) comes with a useful set of tools like special tweezers fore removing the screen and a case that allows to hold/support the screen vertically without touching the screen's surface. Very helpful during cleaning of camera and mirror chamber.

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:19 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

Well, I bit the bullet today and took the FE2 into the local repair shop.

In about two minutes they were able to tell me that the lens mounting flange was way out of alignment wrt the film rails. $140 and a week of service will adjust the lens mount flange, adjust the mirror and focusing screen, and install all new seals/dampers. Pretty much a complete overhaul.

I guess I feel the need to shoot more transparencies with it just to "justify" the overhaul cost . . . . expensive the photographic tools they are!

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

Wow, somebody must have dropped or otherwise mangled it. That's always a risk when buying used.

EBH

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:10 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

EB-1 wrote:
Wow, somebody must have dropped or otherwise mangled it. That's always a risk when buying used.

EBH

Yep. It does not look like it's been abused, but maybe someone hung a 200/2 AIS off of the mount a few too many times

I'll report back when I get it back and have run a few rolls of Provia through it.

- John

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Any Way To Check Focus Screen Accuracy of FE2?

Maybe they hung a 300/2 from it Have fun with it when it gets back! Great camera.

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password