Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!
The current Canon Lens & Speedlite rebates are set to expire this Saturday, February 2nd.
Off the record, two big retailers informed me that the Canon rebate program in the USA will not be extended this time around. Most rebate items include free shipping and additional 2% Rewards.

Check out all Canon Lens & Speedlite Rebates at B&H Photo.

Deals on some Canon bodies will also expire, including the discounted Canon 5D mark III for $2975.

The Canon EOS-1D X is currently being sold for $5907 on Ebay.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:48 PM
nalax

p.1 #2 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

So far, the only extended programs are on 5DII, T4i, T3i, T3, 7D and 60D

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:55 PM
andyjh
• •
p.1 #3 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Interesting price on the 1DX, but no mention of authorized Canon retailer or any USA warranty, unless I missed something.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #4 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

andyjh wrote:
Interesting price on the 1DX, but no mention of authorized Canon retailer or any USA warranty, unless I missed something.

No, you didn't miss anything. There were some of Canon items by this retailer that were intentionally mis-advertised as Canon USA products. However, it's not the case for this one. So, as it should, items from this retailers should be considered as gray market.

Also, anyone who is interested might want to check their recent negative/neutral feedbacks before making decision:

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=bigvalueinc&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

I know friends who were in different situations with this seller. All of them purchased a 5D3 that was advertised as Canon USA, but one got no warranty card, one got a fake warranty card and one got a legit USA warranty card.

Now, it's your call whether to trust this seller.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:44 PM
firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Wahoowa wrote:
No, you didn't miss anything. There were some of Canon items by this retailer that were intentionally mis-advertised as Canon USA products. However, it's not the case for this one. So, as it should, items from this retailers should be considered as gray market.

Also, anyone who is interested might want to check their recent negative/neutral feedbacks before making decision:

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=bigvalueinc&Dirn=Received+by&ref=home

I know friends who were in different situations with this seller. All of them purchased a 5D3 that was advertised as Canon USA, but one got no warranty card, one got a fake warranty card and one got a legit USA warranty
...Show more
This is a naive question on my part, but why do you need the warranty card? I registered my 1Dx online with Canon to start the warranty period. If you have the option, which you do to register online and you have a receipt for the product, where is the problem?

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

You're right. The warranty card isn't at all important.

Some people like to have them when they sell a lens. They happily point out that it comes with an unused warranty card, but usually don't mention that the warranty is not transferrable.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Photorph

p.1 #7 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

I did a thread about this dealer and their 1dx pricing, they had it for that price before. I would NOT buy from them. I went with BHphoto, they had a great deal... and still do. 2% rewards, a very nice CF card, extra battery, and more. Overall there isn't that much difference in cost once you factor in the reward points and the additional items they give you. And given you are spending over 6k, I would go with B&H or adorama on such a big purchase.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

jcolwell wrote:
You're right. The warranty card isn't at all important.

Some people like to have them when they sell a lens. They happily point out that it comes with an unused warranty card, but usually don't mention that the warranty is not transferrable.

Or that the warranty becomes a bit "weak" three years after the lens was sold originally.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #9 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

firstgear99 wrote:
This is a naive question on my part, but why do you need the warranty card? I registered my 1Dx online with Canon to start the warranty period. If you have the option, which you do to register online and you have a receipt for the product, where is the problem?

It's true that, per many people experiences, myself included, a warranty card has never been required for warranty service.

So, why is it important to have a warranty card? What's the point? If it's not at all important, why doesn't Canon USA just drop it? It would have saved them quite a bit not having to print them.

The answer is obvious. When you buy a Canon USA product from an authorized dealer, it should come with a warranty card. That's how they distinguish their products from gray market. If a product doesn't come with one, you got to question why. Now, say, if it's indeed a Canon USA product, but the warranty card is missing, what happened to it? It's forgotten when packing or it's an opened box and got lost.

The more likely scenario is that the product is gray market and should NOT be covered by Canon USA.

But some people still say that Canon USA still fix it as long as you have a receipt from a US retailer. I don't know how many people know this, but that's the case. And that's why many people say you don't really need a warranty card. I believe Canon has something else to worry about, other than dealing with non-authorized dealers and warranty card. (The proper procedure for warranty card that is implemented in many other countries is like this. When you buy a product, retailer writes down your information on the part of the warranty card and submit it to Canon. But it's never been done in the US. At least, it's not a common practice.)

And that's how some retailers like BigValueInc take advantage of this loophole. They intentionally create a false advertisement that their products are Canon USA. (It's been discussed a lot when they listed several listings for 5D3.)

If that's the case, why should anyone worry?

Well, I would be if it's me. Why?

Based on Canon warranty statement (on any warranty card if you read it), Canon will only cover products that come with a warranty card. Well, basically, that's their legal terms. If you have a warranty card, no matter you buy it, they cannot refuse service.

In practice, you will never know for sure when in the future Canon will enforce this policy. It's probably unlikely, but you cannot be absolutely sure. If one day Canon starts enforcing the warranty policy and you can't claim it because you don't have a warranty card, don't blame Canon for it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

godfather
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

wow.....just, wow

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

I was hoping instant rebates with Canon 24-70mm version II, and it not.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:13 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Warranties come under the heading of insurance so are heavily regulated by all 50 states. Every state is different. I only know about in PA. Under no cases do you need to send in a card. And in all cases you do get a warranty. http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Consumers/bcp_book.pdf

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Andrew J wrote:
Warranties come under the heading of insurance so are heavily regulated by all 50 states. Every state is different. I only know about in PA. Under no cases do you need to send in a card. And in all cases you do get a warranty. http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Consumers/bcp_book.pdf

The question is where the warranty should be coming from?

I guess there is nothing wrong if BigValueInc advertises their products as gray market and they do in-house warranty. What is wrong was when they intentionally advertised their products as Canon USA.

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Petepix
• •
p.1 #14 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

I messaged the eBay seller. This is the response that they sent;

Our products are covered by a warranty of 1 years parts and 90 days for labor. Due to our very low prices, we are prevented from listing our items with manufacturer warranty.

Thank you
Justine

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Petepix wrote:
I messaged the eBay seller. This is the response that they sent;

Our products are covered by a warranty of 1 years parts and 90 days for labor. Due to our very low prices, we are prevented from listing our items with manufacturer warranty.

Thank you
Justine

That's totally acceptable to me. This is the opposit of when they attempted to sell their gray market 5D3 bodies with USA warranty.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Wahoowa wrote:
That's totally acceptable to me. This is the opposit of when they attempted to sell their gray market 5D3 bodies with USA warranty.

I would not buy the 1DX from this seller. 90 days warranty for labor !! That's even less than I get from most dealers selling grey market cameras/lenses.
I would pay a couple of hundred more and get it from a "real shop"

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:49 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Rebates still live today at Adorama. Regarding the sketchy Ebay sellers, I hear over and over again about people trying to save a few bucks (when spending several thousand) and end up with an open box/used/broken/missing parts/finger prints on sensor new camera with no warranty or return options. I only buy "online" from B&H or Adorama and they take very good care of their customers. Any issues I have a brand new Canon USA item in couple days. Worth a few extra bucks to me. My local store (Hunt's) is even better. Worth the piece of mind.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Del Mecum

p.1 #18 · Canon Rebates and EOS-1D X Ebay deal!

Well I would be wary, BUT, if the savings is enough, you can always use that savings towards an unknown but excellent Canon Professional Services membership. They will honor/repair all their products whether USA or gray. This from experience on a gray market 300 2.8. Now, as for getting the free 1 year warranty, you will have to show a receipt showing where you purchased it. Again, experience here when I sent my 1DX in for a cleaning & calibration. The CPS customer service reps will answer questions regarding this and are VERY helpful (as long as you're a member).

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password