Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Back...

Littleguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

Interested to hear what you guys are using out there.

I have been using 2 HDs that I keep offline and do a manual mirroring backup on a periodic basis – I don’t keep version control and keep track of dates – it just a basic copy of images that I no longer want to keep on my computer. I keep an onboard RAID 1 array for the online stuff.

So now, the offline HDs are full, I can either get new bigger drives and start all over again or go for a 5 disc NAS box – RAID 5 solution or get a real backup solution.

The bigger drives solution is the simplest but it only works great if I don’t want to go back and reprocess any images from the backup drives – its a PIA if I want to re-process any old images and keep my manual mirroring in sync.

The 5 HD NAS would add a bunch of new functionality but it also means I have to keep a 5 HD array up and running and if I had a controller failure, I would need to find a NAS box from the same manufacturer and compatible model to read the array – not as simple as finding an eSATA HD reader. Plus real NAS boxes are expensive.

The third solution is of course, getting a real backup solution to address the risk of file corruption, human errors and disaster recovery but not sure what software solution, storage media and off-site storage schemes are you guys using? How many versions back are you guys keeping?

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:33 PM
jpfour23

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

Just bought a Lacie 5big NAS Pro. So simple. More features than Drobo. Cheaper. Love it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:59 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

I'm using a Windows Home Server in my house. Backs up ALL my computers and drives in the house automatically each day. I can restore individual files or an entire computer with OS, apps, and data if needed. I can increase storage at any time by putting in more HD or replacing existing HDs with larger drives one at a time.

I can make a backup of the backups via a portable HD and I keep talking about doing it, but I haven't yet. I would carry that backup off site and rotate it every week or so.

So to answer your question, I have two copies of every file right now with the ability to add a third without too much effort.

I guess the next question is how long do you plan on retaining client images? It's a question I think we all have to ask ourselves eventually. I know some photographers save everything and other photographers will delete delivered jobs after a specific period of time.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password