Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Back...

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

Interested to hear what you guys are using out there.

I have been using 2 HDs that I keep offline and do a manual mirroring backup on a periodic basis I dont keep version control and keep track of dates it just a basic copy of images that I no longer want to keep on my computer. I keep an onboard RAID 1 array for the online stuff.

So now, the offline HDs are full, I can either get new bigger drives and start all over again or go for a 5 disc NAS box RAID 5 solution or get a real backup solution.

The bigger drives solution is the simplest but it only works great if I dont want to go back and reprocess any images from the backup drives its a PIA if I want to re-process any old images and keep my manual mirroring in sync.

The 5 HD NAS would add a bunch of new functionality but it also means I have to keep a 5 HD array up and running and if I had a controller failure, I would need to find a NAS box from the same manufacturer and compatible model to read the array not as simple as finding an eSATA HD reader. Plus real NAS boxes are expensive.

The third solution is of course, getting a real backup solution to address the risk of file corruption, human errors and disaster recovery but not sure what software solution, storage media and off-site storage schemes are you guys using? How many versions back are you guys keeping?

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:33 PM
jpfour23

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

Just bought a Lacie 5big NAS Pro. So simple. More features than Drobo. Cheaper. Love it.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:59 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NAS box / RAID solution or Manual drive copy or Real Backup Solution

I'm using a Windows Home Server in my house. Backs up ALL my computers and drives in the house automatically each day. I can restore individual files or an entire computer with OS, apps, and data if needed. I can increase storage at any time by putting in more HD or replacing existing HDs with larger drives one at a time.

I can make a backup of the backups via a portable HD and I keep talking about doing it, but I haven't yet. I would carry that backup off site and rotate it every week or so.

So to answer your question, I have two copies of every file right now with the ability to add a third without too much effort.

I guess the next question is how long do you plan on retaining client images? It's a question I think we all have to ask ourselves eventually. I know some photographers save everything and other photographers will delete delivered jobs after a specific period of time.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password