Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Katlynn

Steve350
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Katlynn

Shot this at our regular barrel race. Her horse is injured, so she was just watching. Some stray hairs have been removed.and some spot healing on face. Second catch light was removed from both eyes. Teeth lightly whitened. Shot with 5D3 and Canon 50/1.4 and flash handheld with YN622 triggers.

Critique invited.

Steve

PS: She loved it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/3.2    1/200s    4000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Steve350
• •
p.1 #2 · Katlynn

Holy Batman the size! Sorry!

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Katlynn

Howdy,

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

First Suggestion: Post photos with 800px as the tall side maximum.

Second Suggestion: back off on the skin smoothing.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:51 AM
bbourizk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Katlynn

Her skin is looking all blotchy on this one.
Was the background dark like that, it looks like she was cut and placed on there.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM
DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #5 · Katlynn

Pretty young girl will unusual grey eyes.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:06 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Katlynn

Why ISO 4000 with flash?

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Steve350
• •
p.1 #7 · Katlynn

Thanks to all.

jfinite: Good question! I shot in the arena before I saw her. Grabbed my flash from the car and shot almost without thinking. So long story short, user error. The arena is dark: 1/200, f2.0-2.5 and 6400/8000 iso. the horses are running the barrel pattern. Lots of fun!

Perhaps that's why the skin looks processed or blotchy. I did no skin smoothing, just used the healing brush on some imperfections.

Thanks again.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:14 PM

Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #8 · Katlynn

Couple of questions and observations, and I won't repeat what's already been said...

First, you say that a second catchlight was removed from her eyes. What's the source of that catchlight? Also, there's an obvious difference in color and exposure on her neck; is that from the second light source?

The remaining catchlight and nose shadow reveal an off-camera flash held to the left at nose height. Holding this light higher, creating a loop shadow below her nose would be a more flattering light. Get the catchlight up to around 10:00 in the eye and you'll see an improvement. The shadow also appears to be pretty stark; did you use any kind of diffuser or was that a bare flash?

Finally, it's a very bright exposure, probably where it "ought to be" in the histogram, but I think if you had dialed down the flash (I'm guessing you used TTL with no flash exposure compensation), I think you might have gotten a more nuanced result.

I'm glad she liked it. She's a pretty subject with a great expression.

Hope this helps.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Steve350
• •
p.1 #9 · Katlynn

The OCF was held in my left hand over my head slightly. I might have stooped down a little to get nearer eye level. The secondary light is a parking lot light 20'+- in height behind and to camera left. It was past dusk and into night, so it was dark in the background. The flash had the stock diffuser(translucent plastic.) ETTL was used.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is appreciated.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #10 · Katlynn

Sorry, but this is really bad. It looks like a painting.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:40 PM
beetlefang
• •
p.1 #11 · Katlynn

Hi,

I'm no expert and usually just lurk on the people photography forum. But I wanted to say:

1) "She loved it." You win! Girls (I know I have 4 sisters) are usually their own worst critique. If she likes the captured image then that's a great plus.

2) I like her smile - you got a nice candid pose, not some posed shot.

3) If you shot her RAW then maybe someone can help with the post processing to help with the critiques from above? (I don't know how to do that...just saying that in some forums experts seem to help by adding their touch to a RAW file.)

-beetle aka John

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:42 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #12 · Katlynn

bbourizk wrote:
Her skin is looking all blotchy on this one.
Was the background dark like that, it looks like she was cut and placed on there.

+1

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Dooginfif20
• •
p.1 #13 · Katlynn

Sorry I agree with Chad S. You say you didnt do any skin softening and only the healing brush. Did you use it on her entire face because it looks like you did. The removal of the stray hairs is very sloppy. You say you hand held yet the catchlight is right in the middle of her pupil. Did you have it pointed straight at her? I dont really know what else to say other than this is not a great photo. Im glad she liked it, but you could have done better. It honestly makes me wonder how you got this image out of a 5D MkIII.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password