Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

brettpatrick
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

Hi guys. I'm thinking about adding a ringlight to my studio setup. I currently have 6 Einsteins which work very well for me. Unfortunately Paul C. Buff doesn't make an Einstein ringlight. I could opt for the ABR800, but haven't met too many people who are happy with it. In addition, adding a speedlight doesn't make sense to me.

With this in mind, what ringlight might you recommend?

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM
gpop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

I like my abr800. the build may be a bit weak, but the moon unit attachments are a hoot.
what concerns do you have with the abr800?

do you need self contained or would the buff zeus unit work for you?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #3 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

Like all of PCB stuff, its pretty good for the price. Ive borrowed one a few times and always had good results from it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:20 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #4 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

Anything else would be easily over $1K.
You can get a Profoto ringlight modified to work w/ Speedotron packs.
You can get a Dynalite ring light and plug it into a Zeus pack.

These are all easily around $2K w/ the pack...

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:13 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

brettpatrick wrote:
In addition, adding a speedlight doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here? Speedlight ring flash like the Canon MR-14?

What specific "ring light" look are you going for? Flat shadowless lighting or the funky ring catchlights?

FWIW - You can get a similar flat 2D look with a one of Buff's 22" dishes placed just over the lens with the model's nose on the axis of the light so it is shadowless on the face.

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:55 AM
brettpatrick
• •
p.1 #6 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. My concerns with the the PCB unit are that I've read it is uneven in terms of color output, I've read the attachments are very difficult to use, and I've been told it feels cheap. All things considered, perhaps I'll give the ABR800 a chance so I can decide for myself.

As for the other questions:

I'm not interested in a speedlight attachment such as the Ray Flash or Orbis. Not quick or powerful enough for my use.

In terms of look, I don't consider the ringlight a flat look. Far from it actually. Catchlights are of no consideration to me.

I'm not interested in using a beauty dish as a replacement for a ring light. They are two completely different looks.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:17 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

It's not the tool, but how it's used that produces the desired result.

As for "flat" I was referring to the lack of sideways shadow clues. In terms of cause and effect with a ring light the "cause" is the source being exactly on the lens axis. The "effect" is that the camera sees few 3D shadow clues except those created front>back on 3D object by fall inverse-square fall off. Light-subject distance controls the rate of the fall off and gradient front>back. 3D shape clues are also created by the specular highlights on the face and because they fall lower on cheeks and other parts of the face than the downward modeling highlight / shadow clues typically seen in natural light the overall impression of a ring light shot is for lack of a better description like a "deer in the headlights" vs. more typical downward vector key lighting which simulates the look of natural daylight.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kenyee
• • •
p.1 #8 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

brettpatrick wrote:
My concerns with the the PCB unit are that I've read it is uneven in terms of color output, I've read the attachments are very difficult to use, and I've been told it feels cheap.

$400 vs. $1-2K.
There's a reason for that...

Don't crank it under 1/4 power and you'll be fine w/ color output.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:43 AM
brettpatrick
• •
p.1 #9 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

kenyee wrote:
$400 vs. $1-2K.
There's a reason for that...

Don't crank it under 1/4 power and you'll be fine w/ color output.

Good advice. Thanks.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:43 AM
sleibrand
• • •
p.1 #10 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

brettpatrick wrote:
...I've read it is uneven in terms of color output, I've read the attachments are very difficult to use, and I've been told it feels cheap.

There is some variability in the color of the light, primarily at low power settings. In my usage, it's very easily corrected since I typically use the ring flash as the only light source on the subject. A quick tweak to color in post takes care of it.

The other 2 comments are true. IMO, the camera mount is a real pain to use. I spent a good bit to get an additional RRS clamp/plate that are permanantly mounted to the ring flash. Even with that it's a hassle to use.

I've become spoiled by the PLM's and newer softbox's with their umbrella design and ease of use. It's a lot less fun to have to mess with the moon units. They're pretty similar to old-school softboxes. If you're used to setting up and breaking down those you probably won't have too much problem. They do seem to hold up pretty well but the plastic and fiberglass construction make them feel cheap.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #11 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

There is a 18" LED ring light by Stellar Systems getting some good press. It goes on a stand, you shoot thru it or use it above or below, or to the side if that floats your boat. I've seen some pretty cool results. The pics pop. I think it's $200 or so. It's not exactly an on camera ring light but depends on what you are looking for.

Elinchrom sells the ECO RX Quadra ring light kit for $1800 or there abouts. Portable. Adjustable power. With another RX head you have another light besides a ring light.

The AB800 is pretty reasonable for sure but it is heavy.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:27 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

I've seen and used the LED units. They have a LONG way to go for results.

It is too bad Paul C hasn't updated or incorporated the ring light over to a more up to date E640. But in as much as color cast. I'm having a hard time thinking that people are not using something like a 'ColorChecker Passport' in their workflows.

ProFoto 8a Airs or E640's.. The passport is the first, middle and last shot I make.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

I'm using an 18" flo light and it works great. I shoot it at ISO 640 with 1/80 @ F5.6.

http://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Photo-Video-Compact-Fluorescent/dp/B003MC1QLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360356138&sr=8-2&keywords=18%22+ringlight

In this shot, I have it as the mainlight and a 30x60 softbox providing rear illumination.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:43 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Ringlight to Compliment Einsteins

does anyone know what kind of output you get out of the LED ringlight?

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password