Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

ozmoses
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

I'm looking at both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" w/ 8gb & the Nexus 7 from Google 7" with 16gb.

My main desire is to use the table to showcase my portfolio. I'm leaning towards the Samsung.

Which one would you choose? I'm buying in the next 24 hours.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
canon.eos30d
• • • •
p.1 #2 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

ozmoses wrote:
I'm looking at both the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" w/ 8gb & the Nexus 7 from Google 7" with 16gb.

My main desire is to use the table to showcase my portfolio. I'm leaning towards the Samsung.

Which one would you choose? I'm buying in the next 24 hours.

Thanks

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 is better since you can use "rooting" with OTG USB (On the go) cable with Flash Drive and make it as an external storage using the apps: "StickMount" to mount the USB Drive and "Astro File Manager" to explore the content on your USB Flash Drive. Hope that help.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM
ozmoses
• •
p.1 #3 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Thanks Canon... That is helpful. The one thing that was missing is the HDMI which would have been nice, but not critical.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

You can do the exact same thing with the Nexus 7 (rooting/USB OTG with a flash drive/etc.).

I would go with the Nexus 7 because the updates come straight from Google, so you'll get bugfixes, patches and performance improvements as Google develops them instead of waiting for Samsung, who has not always provided timely updates - and sometimes, will not provide them at all.

I have a Nexus 7 and have been very pleased with it. I've owned a few other tablets, and was not nearly as happy as I am with the cheap N7.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

I have a Nexus 7 and it's great for viewing photos. It's compact too.

If you're using LR I'd set up a preset to match the Nexus' screen - it tends to blow highlights a tad, so work with the tablet display and presets to make your images shine.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:45 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #6 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

I have a Nexus 7 and have been very pleased with it. I've owned a few other tablets, and was not nearly as happy as I am with the cheap N7.

Ditto. And I own the MUCH more expensive Asus Prime Infinity and the Nexus is snappier and is my go-to tablet.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

showcasing your portfolio on what will end up looking like 4x6 snapshots. what a "neat" idea.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:15 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

sjms wrote:
showcasing your portfolio on what will end up looking like 4x6 snapshots. what a "neat" idea.

As opposed to not being able to showcase it at all?

I mean, I wouldn't recommend anyone go out and use this as their only means of showing off their photos, but I don't think there's anything terrible about having a highly portable way to display your work. I find the 7" tablets to be exponentially more portable than the 10" versions.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

if you say so. there's the difference in thinking between each of us. they can be more "portable" but in the end it will depend on who's face your trying to hold it up to as to the effectiveness of display. I still do print books though I do have a "virtual" one too. a uncorrected tiny monitor does your pictures and you no justice. you have a choice of how you want to display yourself.

NIKON D7000    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    17mm    f/5.6    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:35 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #10 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

I'm like SJMS, I take big 13x19 prints for a presentation, but have started moving some shots to the iPad. These are just to increase the selection if the potential client wants to see more. But the prints show much better than any tablet (so far).
That being said for showing friends and family the tablet can't be beat

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Well I wouldn't suggest anyone show fine art on their tablet, or sell a big client presentation with your 720p display. Anywhere that you can show big prints, you should.

It's just another tool in the box where you might be able to show off something in a time or place or manner that you otherwise couldn't.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:17 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #12 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Sarsfield wrote:
Ditto. And I own the MUCH more expensive Asus Prime Infinity and the Nexus is snappier and is my go-to tablet.

Another vote for the Nexus 7. Pure Android with no added BS, full access to file system, first in line for any updates from Google. Better resale down the road if you decide to retire it for something else.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

binary visions wrote:
Well I wouldn't suggest anyone show fine art on their tablet, or sell a big client presentation with your 720p display. Anywhere that you can show big prints, you should.

It's just another tool in the box where you might be able to show off something in a time or place or manner that you otherwise couldn't.

you mean like Facebook and soccer moms

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Ah come'on guys... those little 7" screens are awesome for catching babes at the bar with your auto-enguaged-slideshows. Just shoot a bunch of kitten shots, plop down your big 7-inch on the bar face up and close to a girl, and when that slide show starts... Instant hook! Just reel'em in, take'em home and umm, sorry, I forgot what comes next.

But now that's a portfolio I would consider useful!

You can try that with with your print books and board-mounted collections if you like but I guess after the first beer spill wipes you out the bartender will ask you to clear out - babe-less of course!

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Damn, I didn't think of that!

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

sjms wrote:
if you say so. there's the difference in thinking between each of us. they can be more "portable" but in the end it will depend on who's face your trying to hold it up to as to the effectiveness of display. I still do print books though I do have a "virtual" one too. a uncorrected tiny monitor does your pictures and you no justice. you have a choice of how you want to display yourself.

This coming from someone who also showcases their images as little Mickey Mouse sizes on PBase.com.

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:35 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

these are my "mickey mouse shots" just that from around having fun while I am doing my work. that's not a showcase. my work images are not on display because they are property of the various organizations I shoot for. I manage to muddle through. get to travel a lot too.

I guess Fotki does you well?

yes, Oh Imagemaster, we are all legends in our own minds.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

sjms wrote:
yes, Oh Imagemaster, we are all legends in our own minds.

Obviously, you speak from personal experience.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

sjms wrote:

And in case you didn't notice, the OP asked for advice on buying "A" or "B" at under $200.

So your advice on buying "C" or something else more expensive than $200 was ever so helpful.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · **Best Tablet Under $200??**

Imagemaster wrote:
Obviously, you speak from personal experience.

absolutely as do you

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password