Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

I don't do a lot of wedding stuff. We're predominantly portrait photographers. But this forum is just so great for ideas to run a photography business.
I just want to THANK the person who started the SEO critique thread a while back. I re-read it through and through on the person's feedback and tips. Adopted the tips and all of a sudden as of yesterday... or maybe a few days ago I don't know, our website is now on Page 1 on Google search.

Well that's great. Now what?
Expand to other search terms?
"Defend the hill"?
Is it a hill worth dying for or Page 1...2 or even 3 on Google is all the same?

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:48 PM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

one easy thing - fix your keyword (buried in the web page) to spell photography properly (it currently says 'Photoraphy').

And not to burst your bubble, but when I searched for Vancouver Portrait Photography Photographer, you came up the very last item of page 2. Google is ephemeral. And what you see when you Google search is different from what everyone else sees. You can slowly - or quickly - drive yourself mad on this topic.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:42 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

^^ Exactly and the games a changing hourly, for example "Hello World" was on first page for wedding photographer recently. G's going make revenue from G one way or another, you think you know how it works you do as asked, then your filtered out. It now Filtering backwards hence why your 'Photoraphy' is ranking

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:56 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

Just so others can reference (I looked it up because I wanted to see it) - is this the thread you're talking about?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1094429/0?keyword=SEO#10436289

brad

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:58 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

Yes, defend the hill. Your website is not a build and forget nor start ranking and forget. You have to do consistent updates. Blogging is good for this. If your ranking better then you're obviously optimized properly but you still need new optimized content to stay there.

A website is a constant process aside from SEO. The net changes in the blink of an eye so you should always have the latest updates for your themes/site platform, etc. Never just build and forget. Dont cheap out either, its your fist impression, make it a good one.

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:03 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

We've been on page 1, position 1, for a while for one of our top terms...hasn't made much of a difference. Depends on the popularity of your term, too.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

I paid someone for SEO work. Total waste of money. Worst money spent on my business, by far. Doesn't help that the guy doesn't know a damn thing about running a service-based business.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

@billk: Hahah... thanks. It's corrected. Not sure which search term you are using. The target search words are "Vancouver Portrait Photographer" and "Vancouver Family Photographer". These two terms are the most highly saturated filled spots as far as portrait photography in Vancouver goes. Both are on Page 1 double confirmed by various folks including some computers that I have not used before.

Nonetheless, I am not sure whether it all matters for me really. It reminds me of a hike up some steep hill. And upon arrival, it's like.... "OK now what?"
After all much of my clients are through word of mouth.

Well atleast it was free and if anything a good learning experience.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

I googled you just to check it out and you came up 3rd on the first page!! Congrats! That is awesome!! I hope that it does help to be ranked so high! I guess time will tell congrats again!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

Just a quick check from Germany:

Vancouver Portrait Photographer: Last position on page 1
Vancouver Family Photographer: Your site is NOT on page 1

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:17 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

That's great news, not sure why you're so nonchalant about it lol. Other than defending your hill, you can always work on improving the conversion rate of visitors->email leads.

btw, as others mentioned, Google implements 'personalized' search results for you, especially when you're logged into something like gmail. This is also based on geographic location, which explains why it looks different from Germany.

If you want to an unbiased confirmation of your ranking, you should use a website like this one as your 'rank checker.' I see that you're #2 for Vancouver Portrait Photographer and #6 for Vancouver Family Photographer.

-Lincoln

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

^ yes I am aware of the above. Hence when I first discovered it a few days ago I was skeptical and asked outsiders to do a search to verify.

Well I'll check in again later in the year to see if being on Page 1 leads to anything.Assuming we're not knocked down to no where land.
It's probably the skeptic in me. It's not like I am selling Custom Headers for Subarus or Vancouver Bianchi dealer. Photography is a bit subjective by nature. Therefore user searches can be quite fluid.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

Being on page 1 does not mean that much unless you have done some background work first. First does the description make lookers want to click on the site? You still have 9 other sites plus the paid ads that you compete with.

If they do click through does you web site load fast, match the search term and make them want to email or call for information. Is it Tablet/phone friendly. 50% of my lookers are on phones or tablets so if things cut off they move on fast. Is it easy to contact you? Can't tell how many sites I have seen that almost hide phone numbers and emails. If you are on top of search results for good keyword terms and are not getting emails or calls then your description, site or both have issues that need attention.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:04 PM
jammin

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · We're on Google Page 1. Now what?

There isn't a page 1 anymore (technically)

Your site may be up top depending on where the user searching is located. A mile down the road using a different internet provider and the results will be different.

Page 1 is great if it' For Wedding Photographers, but a lot of the other keywords do not get the searches, hence why it's easy to get to page 1. If you've got there by doing no SEO work whatsoever, chances are they keyword is rubbish.

We were excited once to get to page 1 in seven days. Nobody searches on the said keyword tho :-)

Oooh. You may be there today, but tomorrow might be a different story.

Google/SEO is veeeeeeery frustrating.

Use Adwords to determine the volume of searches on the keyword. And then don't believe the figure it gives you for a second, and halve it at least :-)

Vancouver Portrait Photographer
Vancouver Family Photographer

They give a daily impression of 9 people a day. Who those are is anybody's guess. Possible You

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.