Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Man... what happened?

friscoron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Man... what happened?

One thing I always loved about FM People was that it was always alive and kicking. You'd get a multitude of pictures posted from a wide range of photo expertise. You'd have newbies posting their pics and wanting advice, and really excellent pros sharing what they're doing.

Now... not so much. You can go down just 20 posts to get to a post where the most recent comment was more than 24 hours ago. That just never used to happen. We're barely getting more than 3 or 4 new posts daily now, if that. I don't think we've even had a new post yet today.

I'm just wondering what you guys think happened in here? Sure, people are going to come and go, but there's always been a balance of that. Any ideas on what we can do to turn things around?

Ron

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:34 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Man... what happened?

Maybe we're just Northern Hemisphere-driven and it's just a lull from the winter time blues? If that's the case, we need our friends Down Under to kick things into gear and start posting while they still have some nice weather!

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:36 PM
buckeyeguy1
• •
p.1 #3 · Man... what happened?

friscoron wrote:
Maybe we're just Northern Hemisphere-driven and it's just a lull from the winter time blues? If that's the case, we need our friends Down Under to kick things into gear and start posting while they still have some nice weather!

My guess is that has a lot to do with it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #4 · Man... what happened?

I've noticed the same phenomenon with another forum I used to frequent. :/

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:46 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #5 · Man... what happened?

buckeyeguy1 wrote:
My guess is that has a lot to do with it.

I was noticing the same thing. I do think the winter blues have an effect on how much people post. I need to put some recent stuff up myself. I will try to do so soon!

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:54 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Man... what happened?

okay, let's get on it, Ben.

Lisa, how's this for a challenge? How about a maternity self-portrait?

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #7 · Man... what happened?

This is as good as it gets...a dirty bathroom mirror, head cut off instagram snap from 2 weeks ago.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:43 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Man... what happened?

Been thinking the same thing over the last couple of weeks.

For me personally I haven't had a chance to use my camera properly in 2013. The weather in the UK has been appalling and quite frankly I'm feeling very depressed about it. I look at all my lovely gear and sometimes ask myself what's the point. It should be getting used almost daily but at the mo its just sitting there! Man I hate, hate, HATE the UK.

The double edged sword means that the less i use my camera the more my confidence reduces so it can be a constant battle. As soon as the weather improves I will try to get right on it and get some pics up for your critique.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:45 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Man... what happened?

Chris, how about you jump on a plane, hop over the pond, get to AZ, and do a maternity session with Lisa?

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:52 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Man... what happened?

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
This is as good as it gets...a dirty bathroom mirror, head cut off instagram snap from 2 weeks ago.

Ha! that's not quite what I had in mind. I wanted to see an outdoor shot with your lovely bokeh and the sun lighting your hair just oh-so-right... But that dress with its lines is really nice for a maternity shot!

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:55 PM

Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.1 #11 · Man... what happened?

Well, I might have a few taken when I get a little further along. I have a few friends who have offered. I'm only 18 weeks right now so I need more belly. :P

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Man... what happened?

Ron, if you're paying I'm flying

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #13 · Man... what happened?

Us Queenslanders just got flooded and the Victorians/Tasmanians are having bushfires, so we haven't really got a monopoly on the fine weather down here

Not bad if you're into 'natural disaster' shots though

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM
robby521
• •
p.1 #14 · Man... what happened?

well for me i do sports and wont post or ask anything over there.if you dont post pictures you get in trouble and told that dont go here,ask it in another place.even if it has to do with sports.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Man... what happened?

It must be my fault. I may have torn apart one too many photos. Now I feel bad. Just trying to save the public from bad photography. From now on I promise to tell everyone how amazing they are no matter what.

I know I don't post images ( mostly release issues ) but in my area the wether is OK but people are not booking. Everything seems to be on hold. That is both commercial and non commercial. Lots of emails and bid request but no solid action.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Man... what happened?

Yeah Ron - I agree. It's been disappointing to see the drop off over the past year or so. We used to have quite a few lively posters and discussions posted every hour. Now it is pretty slow. But I'm as guilty as the next for posting much less than I used to. I'll try and pick it up a bit.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · Man... what happened?

I'm still posting and even posted a pic of someone other then me!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Man... what happened?

I actually have held back a little bit, especially the last month or so, because it feels like I'm posting so much more when there's fewer posts in the forum.

@scottam10, I feel for you guys but I think the natural weather disasters are an equal opportunity employer, definitely happening a lot across the USA lately.

@jefferies1, I have a hard time believing it has anything to do with harsh criticism. Go take a different direction on an edit of one of your pics from last year, and let's have some fun with it.

@Ed, it's a quiet time of year for you, I know. It'll pick up.

@Lisa, you so need to take up one or two of your friends on that! If you don't post 'em here, at least on your FB page so we can see 'em.

@robby, we'll take sports questions in here. We're all wanna-be sports photogs!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Man... what happened?

Ron,

I have noticed the same thing (thought it yesterday when I looked at this forum)...but I also noticed it and brought this up as a discussion topic 4 months ago:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1154820

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM
squareeyez
• • •
p.1 #20 · Man... what happened?

It's my fault. All mine. Sorry, please accept the apology. I lurk, infrequently comment, yet never contribute due to insecurity.

This is Wendy my cousin-in-law. She's an actress and a model.

She knows what she's doing, I don't. Let the balance be restored...

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password