Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What story do you see in the clues here?

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What story do you see in the clues here?

These posts are more of a psychology experiment than request for critique. The premise is that every photo tells a story and if it works it should stand on it's own without setting it up in advance with a subject line like "Texture", "Cold", etc. providing the context.

So while I appreciate the generalized comments I really need you to answer the specific questions as asked to be able to quantify whether your reaction is based on personal familiarity with the subject matter and whether you reacting to it as just another photo to look at or on some emotional level. I'd also like to know whether your eye path in the photo was the one I hoped for.

Yeah very analytical, but that's the way my brain got wired and those are the questions I ask when I look at your photos and comment. I think the answers to structured questions like that create a framework for understanding how to tell a story in a photo more effectively in a way that the widest possible audience will relate to.

I'll give you my answers to the same questions later as to why I took the shots.

http://super.nova.org/XP/ZZ_MiscPix/AndrewsAirShow.JPG
What do you think the story is here?
Why did you find it interesting? "I didn't find it interesting" is a valid answer but explain why.
What senses other than visual did it trigger? sound, touch, taste
What personal memories caused you to react that way?
Do you think everyone will react the same way?
What did you notice first?
Where did your eye go next?
What did you dwell longest on?
What was the last thing you saw before exiting?

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What story do you see in the clues here?

I noticed the propellers first.

Comes to mind: Day out at an airshow, or something to that effect.

I've read on the forum your explanation of the photo, so I know you were intending to show the wing as a sort of refuge from the blistering heat that day.

I didn't think that. I still don't. I believe you, though it doesn't come across to me in the photo. I think it needs a clue as to the temperature, like a sweating drink or person in the foreground.

Then there is relevance to the make-shift, shady shelter in the middle ground.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What story do you see in the clues here?

Air show ... snapshot only, no effort at comp, story or interest.

Left prop, right prop, expanse of concrete, shadow of right prop, left prop ... nothing of interest.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:55 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What story do you see in the clues here?

Shadows first, propellers, people, bright foreground, distant people.
Without context I do not find this image interesting by itself and I dont find myself interested in generating a storyline. Feels photojournalistic in style. I feel I need the story, caption or a sequence.
Scott

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:53 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What story do you see in the clues here?

This one I included because it was a cell phone snap shot. It was an airshow at Andrews air base and I decided to enjoy the show and video it with the phone rather and the Canon gear.

It's an attempt at a "Easter Egg" punchline to show it was a hot day when the people under the wing are noticed in the shadows of the otherwise unremarkable shot. I have another of bunch of people standing in shade of the open nose of a huge plane but felt that was too obvious.

I didn't figure it would play well to this audience due to its technical shortcomings.

Thanks for playing the game.... Now if you reach under your seats you'll find.... whatever you chewed and stuck there..

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:14 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What story do you see in the clues here?

I dont think "technical shortcomings" are the issue with this image. Just doesnt make much of a statement without more context, a sequence of images, backstory or title.
Scott

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:05 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What story do you see in the clues here?

I see "Hot day at the air show". I first noticed the propellers due to the sharpness and contrast against the sky. I wandered into the crowd below but found them initally uninteresting as they are kind of "muddy". Next I saw the shadow of the wing and propellors which took me back to the crowd at which point I realized they were seeking refuge in said shadow. I then kind of lost interest in the photo and came down here to type...

Rob

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.