Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What do you think the story is here?

cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you think the story is here?

These posts are more of a psychology experiment than request for critique. The premise is that every photo tells a story and if it works it should stand on it's own without setting it up in advance with a subject line like "Texture", "Cold", etc. providing the context.

So while I appreciate the generalized comments I really need you to answer the specific questions as asked to be able to quantify whether your reaction is based on personal familiarity with the subject matter and whether you are reacting to it as just another photo to look at or on some emotional level (fishermen would react differently to non-fishermen). I'd also like to know whether your eye path in the photo was the one I hoped for.

Yeah very analytical, but that's the way my brain got wired and those are the questions I ask when I look at your photos and comment. I think the answers to structured questions like that create a framework for understanding how to tell a story in a photo more effectively in a way that the widest possible audience will relate to.

I'll give you my answers to the same questions later as to why I took the shots.

http://super.nova.org/XP/ZZ_MiscPix/LiilleyLanding/LilleyMotor.jpg
What do you think the story is here?
Why did you find it interesting? "I didn't find it interesting" is a valid answer but explain why.
What senses other than visual did it trigger? sound, touch, taste
What personal memories caused you to react that way?
Do you think everyone will react the same way?
What did you notice first?
Where did your eye go next?
What did you dwell longest on?
What was the last thing you saw before exiting?

Edited on Jan 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you think the story is here?

No story (other than early morning light), just interesting tonal values, light and lines and objects of symmetry ... exhibiting a cognizance of elements of composition for interplay and study.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you think the story is here?

Idling too long.
Time has passed. Not going anywhere. Maybe time to head out in the morning sun.
Main interest, spiderwebs, spiderwebs in relation to engines. Time of day?
Noticed: engines, lighting, webs, back upper left corner. On the webs longest.
I think you will get varied reactions, muted responses.
Scott

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you think the story is here?

When taking it I first noticed the spider webs and was so busy figuring out how to expose it for a full range of detail I didn't notice the missing prop on the right side or make the connection mentally they'd been there for some time.

I was hoping for the same "Easter Egg" delayed element understanding of the implied of storyline from the viewer once they followed the leading line of either motor down and followed the dangling wire clue to connect to the other. I intentionally kept the props / absence of prop hidden in the shadow for that reason.

Technically it was a difficult scene to capture the full tonal range. I did it buy exposing for the background and web and then bouncing my flash straight up off the metal roof of the dock to create more ambient fill on the front side of the motors.

I composed so the sides of the stall framed the sides and so the tree line cut off by the roof is revealed in the reflection near the bottom of the motors and the curved leading lines of the wires. I had to correct keystone in PP to get the sides parallel.

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you think the story is here?

.edit I answered all of these prior to looking at any of the responses.

What do you think the story is here?
By the look of it, seems to be motors that are broken or require repair.

Why did you find it interesting? "I didn't find it interesting" is a valid answer but explain why.
I enjoyed the lighting and flow of the shot.

What senses other than visual did it trigger? sound, touch, taste
I thought of how the spiderweb would stick my finger and pull apart if I touched it.

What personal memories caused you to react that way?
Just something I've done before

Do you think everyone will react the same way?
Nope - you either love spiders or hate them.

What did you notice first?
The web towards the center of the image

Where did your eye go next?
Followed the line of the motor's throttle, jumped to the top of the left motor, swooped down to the other web and exited through the light.

What did you dwell longest on?
The center web.

What was the last thing you saw before exiting?
The backlit web.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.