Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooti...

bhusick
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

I was wondering what people's experience has been with the chest pod type of support for longer glass shooting from the sidelines? I am not always in a spot where a monopod can work well.

Thanks.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

Do you have links of what you're referring to? I've seen some shoulder mounts for smaller glass, but am not familiar with a "chest pod" for longer glass. Not only would I be interested in seeing such a product, I'd be interest in knowing how well it's worked in the field. I can't say I've seen anyone use anything like this.

Having said that, I'm curious what situations you might be in where a monopod just won't work. Since you mentioned "sidelines" I'm going to assume you're talking about football?

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:40 PM
ian408
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

This?

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM
bhusick
• •
p.1 #4 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

When I am shooting pro indoor lacrosse I am often in the "shooters box" in between the benches, crammed in with other shooters. A monopod wouldn't work as it would get in everyone's way.

Here's what I am thinking about...

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:02 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

Five 5-star reviews at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240748-REG/Novoflex_PISTOCK_C_Chest_Shoulder_Pod_Reduces.html

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bhusick
• •
p.1 #6 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

anybody here used this?

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:41 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/346317

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #8 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

Use to use something similar years ago, I personally would not recommend it as it is very hard on your back: it puts a heavy set of gear at a fairly high leverage point and you have to hold it with your back / core muscles. Not good on your back / spine!

If you really cannot use a monopod, the better way is to rest everything on your hips and counter balance the gear weight by just leaning back keeping your back straight.

This is actually pretty easy (and cheap) to build your own: use a modular tool belt (from your local hardware store) with a little individual pouch (like the one for holding a tape measure), tie it around your waist, making sure it is resting on your hips with the tool pouch sitting in front.

Use a lightweight monopod with a ball head, putting the pointy end of the monopod inside the small tool pouch. Adjust length and ball head angle, et voila!

Denis
www.widgic.com

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

I think Paul Alesse had one of these at a cheer event we were shooting a few years ago. Hopefully he will chime in on how well it works because he's the only shooter I've ever seen use one. I believe it was with something like a 70-200/f2.8 lens; I can't imagine using one of them for anything larger.

We all have to do whatever works best for each of us in each specific situation. Having been on sidelines that were completely packed--photographers shoulder-to-shoulder with some shooters kneeling and others standing immediately behind them (all with monopods)--it's hard for me to imagine why a monopod wouldn't work. The foot of the monopod is basically just inches away from ones toes. I'm guessing this chest pod might be a good option for shorter glass, though.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing. I'm curious to hear how this plays out and what solution works best for you.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · Anybody use a "chest pod" for long glass shooting sports?

Scott mentions something interesting to me:

The foot of the monopod is basically just inches away from ones toes.

I use a Kirk mono head on my pod with my 7d and the old 300 2.8. I tilt the head/camera up slightly and then set the tip of the pod right between my feet. This allows me to pivot rather than shuffle around behind the pod to track movement on the field. So my pod tip is literally at my instep on my forward foot, with my other foot back a little in kind of an athletic stance. For me it took a bit of getting used to, but once I did it was much smoother for tracking side to side.

I learned this technique from a fellow shooter, when I asked him jokingly what he broke on his monopod!

Paul

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password