New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wireless printing

AllanWJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless printing

Has anyone had success with a wireless printing adapter? I have a Pro9500 II and would like to move it to another room, but I'm not sure how the process needs to be setup, or if it's even doable with this printer. Thanks for any suggestions.

Allan

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless printing

Sounds like you may need to look into a print server ?

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM
AllanWJ
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless printing

gpchase wrote:
Sounds like you may need to look into a print server ?

Thanks GP. Any reason to spend more than 50.00? I only have 1 PC so it's as simple as it gets. I was looking at this one:

IOGear

Edit - never mind. the 9500 isn't in the server's compatibility list.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless printing

AllanWJ wrote:
Thanks GP. Any reason to spend more than 50.00? I only have 1 PC so it's as simple as it gets. I was looking at this one:

IOGear

Edit - never mind. the 9500 isn't in the server's compatibility list.

The IOGEAR product you linked to, is not wireless.

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:30 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless printing

Even with a wireless print server, you'll very likely lose the ability to change printer settings, control head cleaning/alignment, and view ink levels remotely. That's not true with newer printers with wireless printing as a built-in feature, but as far as I've seen, it's always the case when using a print server and a non-wireless printer.

Jan 29, 2013 at 09:54 AM
AllanWJ
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless printing

Shutterbug - yeah, I missed the boat on that one. Thanks.

dcains - Thanks. I did some digging last night and the lack of bi-directional communication came up a few times. I don't think it's going to be a practical solution.

Allan

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless printing

dcains wrote:
Even with a wireless print server, you'll very likely lose the ability to change printer settings, control head cleaning/alignment, and view ink levels remotely. That's not true with newer printers with wireless printing as a built-in feature, but as far as I've seen, it's always the case when using a print server and a non-wireless printer.

Wireless printing would likely be significantly slower than a USB or wired ethernet connection in any event.

I have a print server in use for two shared printers set up in a far-away room. It's something I threw together using an old computer with Win XP Pro. I have set it up so I can use Remote Desktop Connection to monitor and administer print jobs remotely, I'm rarely in that room, so the computer doesn't even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached to it. it's just sitting in a corner connected to a LAN cable and power.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.