Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Mike M. Kraus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Hello FMers, I have been using the epson 3800 for a long time and just bought a new 3880 and I've been reading up some and now I'm thinking of using the Jon Cone color inks.
Sure would like to hear from some people who have actually been using that system ! The good, the bad, what it really is ?
Thanks for your time if you have some feedback
Mike

Jan 28, 2013 at 06:10 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

go over to the printer forum on dpreview and ask this. several people there have experience w/ them and will give you all the info you could want.

Jan 28, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #3 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Thanks Howard

Jan 28, 2013 at 09:00 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Well, been doing a lot of reading and I'm still undecided about going thru with a Cone system purchase.
Would sure like to hear from some FM MEMBER users before I do

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:32 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

at the end of the day, look at all your costs and unless you're really printing up a storm, you'll find that paper is your biggest cost and ink not so much vs. some of the headaches etc.

I'm still using OEM inks in my 3800 but I do understand the siren call of 3rd party ink.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Mike,

I don't use 3rd party color inks in my 9900.

I do use Cones K7 MPS B&W glossy/matte in a dedicated 9890---incredible B&W images btw!

If I were to use 3rd Party color inks, Jon Cone is where I would turn. Excellent customer service and they really know Epson printers inside and out.

ken

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Thanks Guys, I'm sooo tempted, about 1/3 the cost for ink leaves more for that expensive paper !

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Mike M. Kraus wrote:
Thanks Guys, I'm sooo tempted, about 1/3 the cost for ink leaves more for that expensive paper !

But is it meaningful to use really expensive paper, if you use it with really cheap ink

I own the 3880 printer and would not do it. Maybe it looks very nice(I don't know). But how does it look one year from today? or five years from today?

100% of the Cone ink users will of course say it's worth it. And that Cone ink is great. Otherwise they would not use it

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #9 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

I spend way too much time editing images for my large prints. The few cents I would save with third party ink just isn't worth it. With OEM ink I am more confident bragging to clients about longevity of the print (on archival paper), I don't have to worry about inks going bad sitting in the printer too long, and I don't have to mess with refilling, etc.

Things I'm not willing to worry about, YMMV:

OEM ink carts have mylar bags inside that contract as ink is used. This keeps air away from the pigments. Third party carts are just empty shells that expose the ink to air. I have some OEM carts in my 3880 that area 3 years old and print perfectly and never clog.

OEM carts monitor the ink for you and never lets a channel run dry. Yes, this means a few MLs are left in the cart. Third party carts and inks require you to check each ink cart visually and keep track of ink volume. If a cart runs dry it can ruin the printer.

Many have reported that since third party inks don't have the bag inside to help pressurize the ink, performance becomes an issue as the carts are used up.

Since I'm not a high-volume printer the ink savings is just not enough to go away from the ease, convenience, and confidence OEM ink brings to the art print process.

Sal

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #10 · Anyone using Cone ink in the 3880 ?

Thanks Sal and Lars and everyone ! Lots of very good points. I don't know why I love so much to print and see the final end to the shutter click, but I do. I don't even make real money doing it, and I give away a lot of prints.
Lars as far as how long the prints last it probably really doesn't matter, I know they will far outlast me
Maybe Cone or someone will develop some better options to the isues Sal pointed out and the quality of the ink will still be as good as OEM. Maybe thats the time to make a change.
Thanks again for all the good input !!

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password